AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How do you buy/manage your computers?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How do you buy/manage your computers?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-30, 19:27

I figured this would be interesting. What I like to do is I buy a new laptop every year. Approximately around the middle of month ten (depending on when they are reselling for the most between months 10-12, also depends on the pending upgrade), I make a timely decision to sell my computer. By doing this at just the right time (following upgrade chart, watching ebay many, many time a day around the time of selling), I never end up keeping my computer past the time the original warranty runs out and I end up only losing about 150-200. By doing it this way, over the course of 5 years I am having constantly up-to-date technology for around 1000 dollars, the same price of buying a system and using it until I need to upgrade.

In theory it works very good, but last year I did sell a 1.5 ghz 12" powerbook in good condition for 600 accidentally . Other than that, i've never had a problem with the system.

Anyone else have any unique or cool strategies to their purchasing/managing plans for computers?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-30, 19:58

How does this fit into your "becoming wealthy" scheme?

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-07-30, 20:51

I just click all the "win a free laptop" ads in sight until something comes in the mail.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-30, 21:02

I built my desktop 2 years ago but it is too big for college dorm rooms and I hate XP so I am upgrading it to a new iMac or a Mac Pro whenever they update them at the end of the summer hopefully because I want a free iPod too. I got rid of my year old laptop also because it was XP and I just couldn't take it anymore. Before that I had a PowerBook G3 pismo for like 5 years. I am going to try to keep my current MacBook till the year after my graduation from college (3 years) and hopefully a little more unless I get a new one as a graduation present. As a student I try to stay recent while still not having to buy computers that often. I have been lucky by getting computers as presents because my parents know I love computers, but the MacBook and my desktop I bought for myself. So basically, I try to wait a while before upgrading but I got sick of XP and had to switch back to OS X so I upgraded a little sooner!

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-30, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
How does this fit into your "becoming wealthy" scheme?
I have a get wealthy scheme? I need to get a graduate college and get a career before I am a going to start worrying about that stuff

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-30, 21:19

I think he was talking about this!

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-30, 21:31

I have done the same thing with the iMac. Bought the rev B, sold it, bought rev C., sold it, bought Intel iMac. Debating whether to sell it now. I really like it, and kind of tired of selling and buying. They updated the iMac too many times to frequently last year

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-30, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
I have a get wealthy scheme? I need to get a graduate college and get a career before I am a going to start worrying about that stuff
*NEWSFLASH* Smoking weed affects your short term memory, and can delay or impare your chances of getting rich.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-30, 21:36

ZING! I enjoyed that thread though. It was rather interesting to read!

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-30, 21:36

Quote:
I end up only losing about 150-200.
My, are we ever optimistic.

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-30, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I've done this many, many times. I don't think thats optimistic. I actually made money on my 12" iBook. I bought it for 900 off amazon and sold it with for like 902 or something like that.

Very few times with Macs that I previously owned, though. I did a lot of eBay Mac flipping for awhile with 12" Powerbooks. It's amazing how much more money a comptuer goes for at 8pm central time during the back to school season than 6am in the middle of winter.

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-30, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod

That's not a scheme. Those are just things people can take advantage of. A scheme in my mind refers to some shiesty business. That is just good clean optimization!

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-30, 21:45

I wasn't calling it a scheme I was merely pointing to what I thought he was referring to. I agree that is more financial planning etc. However, I could see how the idea of upgrading every year would conflict with saving for the future and allocations one's funds in the most intelligent way to have money for the future. I like to upgrade too though so don't take that as me passing judgement. I have this internal battle of my desire to save and my desire to spend frequently!

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-07-30, 21:57

Quote:

Yea, not sure what you are talking about. The last time I did me sell and buy I made $100 bucks. And I even sold the iMac after the Intel ones were released.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-30, 22:09

macleod's right. I was referring to your thread in AO. So you're time isn't worth anything to you? Spending "days and days" scouring ebay to see when the best time to sell is? Just so you can lose a few dollars less?

You need to get your priorities straight. I have no problem buying and selling computers to upgrade (I do it all the time) but I make no illusions about it being a wise financial decision.

tens, here's some friendly (unsolicited) advice:
1) Life isn't just about money
2) Your time is worth something
3) Don't waste your time deluding yourself

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-30, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
Yea, not sure what you are talking about. The last time I did me sell and buy I made $100 bucks. And I even sold the iMac after the Intel ones were released.
But you sold them because you realized something better was around. You didn't sell them because you had been planning to sell them all along, even before buying them to begin with.

kgarchar

2006-07-30, 23:33

I bought an iBook for $500, it was a steal (1.2 ghz G4 with a 30 gb HD and 1.25 gb ram). That got me into macs so after loving that and putting a few hundred ($350) into a superdrive, 100 gb hard drive, and threw in an iPod, and I sold it 6 months later for $1200. I figured that was a pretty good investment so when the next rev MacBooks I plan on selling mine. I'm not sure if I should sell it with the 1.25 GB ram and 120 gb HD, or just put in the old ram and Hard Drive when I sell it.

Macbook 2.0 Ghz - White. 80 GB iPod - White.

Last.FM

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-07-30, 23:33

Quote:
But you sold them because you realized something better was around. You didn't sell them because you had been planning to sell them all along, even before buying them to begin with.

huh? My plan from the start was to sell them. I had never tried the sell and buy strategy and decided with the iMac that I would do that.

Not sure I understand what you're saying

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-30, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
macleod's right. I was referring to your thread in AO. So you're time isn't worth anything to you? Spending "days and days" scouring ebay to see when the best time to sell is? Just so you can lose a few dollars less?

You need to get your priorities straight. I have no problem buying and selling computers to upgrade (I do it all the time) but I make no illusions about it being a wise financial decision.

tens, here's some friendly (unsolicited) advice:
1) Life isn't just about money
2) Your time is worth something
3) Don't waste your time deluding yourself
I enjoy doing it. By days and days, I mean check for 2 minutes 10 times a day for a week or something. It isn't like I am on there constantly. Plus, I do this at my job more often than not. I'm young and all about having fun and maximizing my time. Note the fact I haven't been on here too much lately since i've been very busy with friends and family that are in town temporarily

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-30, 23:53

Quote:
Why be critical? It was just a question to see if anyone else has any strategies to maximize value /dollars invested. You can do what works for you, and i'll keep doing this. Odds are we'll both be happy with it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-31, 00:00

Quote:
Why be critical?
Tensdanny, are you really one to talk about being critical of other peoples' finances?

chucker

2006-07-31, 07:37

Quote:
Why be critical?
Uh, didn't you create this thread for the very purpose of asking for comments, feedback, criticism?

Well, here's mine: planning on selling something is a bad investment.

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-31, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Tensdanny, are you really one to talk about being critical of other peoples' finances?
? I am not being critical of anyones.

Quote:
Uh, didn't you create this thread for the very purpose of asking for comments, feedback, criticism?

Well, here's mine: planning on selling something is a bad investment.

No, I asked what other peoples strategies were. I didn't ask for opinions on mine. It proven to work for me and will continue to do so

chucker

2006-07-31, 08:55

Quote:
? I am not being critical of anyones.
Oh?
Quote:
Unless all your college is paid for, then I don't think that spending half a G on a phone is a good idea, when you can get a phone that probably functions better for free. That is just piss poor money management.

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-31, 08:58

Quote:
right, I concur in a seperate thread I am. Rightfully so. Not in this thread, however. I probably shouldn't have been critical. I am just saying that someday when Robo's family is tricked out in cool toys but he is paying 300% cost of his mortgage because he doesn't have the money for a down payment and gets raped on pmi tax, I will have mine paid off and put that money towards cool stuff then and be much better off.

chucker

2006-07-31, 09:12

Yeah, through such great investments as buying a product that you plan on selling even before you bought it. Even if you could sell it at almost the price you bought it (highly unlikely), you'd still have lost money: the money would be worth less due to inflation, and you could have earned money had you not bought the machine to begin with through interest and similar investments.

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-31, 12:05

Quote:
Yeah, through such great investments as buying a product that you plan on selling even before you bought it. Even if you could sell it at almost the price you bought it (highly unlikely), you'd still have lost money: the money would be worth less due to inflation, and you could have earned money had you not bought the machine to begin with through interest and similar investments.
ok.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-07-31, 12:21

To answer the question in the thread title, I buy a new computer when a model catches my eye, I have some spare cash, and my existing computer has become inadequate in some way. I then give my old computer to a family member or friend. At no point do I "manage" a computer.

Your obsession with turning everything into a question of money is ridiculous. You're a little old man, of the worst kind, in a kid's body: what are you going to do when your body ages and you've nothing to show for your youth? "But I managed my computers!", you'll cry. Can you honestly not see there's something wrong here?

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-31, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
To answer the question in the thread title, I buy a new computer when a model catches my eye, I have some spare cash, and my existing computer has become inadequate in some way. I then give my old computer to a family member or friend. At no point do I "manage" a computer.

Your obsession with turning everything into a question of money is ridiculous. You're a little old man, of the worst kind, in a kid's body: what are you going to do when your body ages and you've nothing to show for your youth? "But I managed my computers!", you'll cry. Can you honestly not see there's something wrong here?
Granted that i'm not in peak shape anymore, I am in pretty damn good shape. I was an athlete throughout highschool and lift weights 3 times a week and play tennis 5 hours a week.

I hang out with my friends all the time. I don't see why spending a few hours researching is any different than posting here? It allows me to save money and learn additional talents. Why are you pigeon holing me into something i'm not because I believe in saving money and think its retarded to drop half a G on a cell phone with all this extra shit when the kid was gonna get a laptop to begin with?

At most, I put in 9 hours of work a day. This includes work in the summer, and class/homework during the school year. That leaves me with 7 hours to have fun. At school, I hung out with my roomates every day for at least 7 hours having fun. How many hours a day do you get to spend having fun?

Last edited by Partial : 2006-07-31 at 12:48.

autodata
hustlin

2006-07-31, 14:59

Wow, thanks for the autobiography! You really have an amazing life. Having the opportunity to meet exciting people like you is what makes the internets so great!