AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Vista demo goes pretty badly.....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Vista demo goes pretty badly.....
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-07-29, 12:08

Microsoft tried to demonstrate Vista's speech recognition technology recently and well....it didn't go too well.

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

The demo starts about 30 seconds into the video.

Once again, MS screws up a public demonstration. They seem to have a pretty nice string of doing this recently.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-29, 12:24

The best part:

"MS was blaming ambient noise, but you can hear it was quiet until the product didn't work and everyone started laughing."
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-07-29, 12:36

"I'm glad you're enjoying this."

Heh heh...yep.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-07-29, 12:38

How annoying is that guy? He needs a chicken bone in the eye.

Nice demo too.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-07-29, 12:58

It gladdens the heart M$ is pile of sh*t.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-29, 13:09

That was great! When he said dear mom it was SILENT! So much for blaming ambient noise!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-29, 13:15

Nice try Microsoft. But we already have it. And it works.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-29, 13:16

Do we? Serious question.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-29, 13:18

Yes. We do.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-29, 13:30

Not from Apple, we don't.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-29, 13:33

Thought so. All I see is speakable items. I don't see dictation anywhere.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-29, 13:36

Even "speakable items" recognition is shoddy, too, and looks/acts as though it hasn't seen an update since the late 1990s (short of porting to Mac OS X). Neither my wife nor I (nor anyone else I know) have ever had much success with it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2006-07-29, 13:38

It works okay for me. Not great, not even reliable, but I'd say about two third of the time.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-29, 13:41

Well, it works perfectly okay for some phrases like "tell me a joke" and "what time is it", but some words and phrases never work for us (ironically, often the latter parks of the knock-knock jokes).

On a related note, does anyone else here with Brain Age have trouble getting it to recognize the word "blue"? I always skip that test because it fails to recognize when I say "blue" probably four out of five times. Again, the same goes for my wife.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2006-07-29, 13:43

Oh yeah. That knock-knock thing never worked well for me. Which, uh, kinda makes it… frustratingly comical. Or comically frustrating. Or something.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-07-29, 14:02

I recently discovered my phone does voice recognition for calling people, I've never tried to train it or anything so it makes sense that it's a little bit wonky. But I enjoy playing around with it. When I say things like "my bitch" and a certain friend's name will pop up...etc.

It's similar to typing random letters in a google search an seeing what it suggests you meant. Sometimes good things can come from computer induced confusion.

Well, personally, I hope they(or some 3rd party) manages to get the voice-to-text thing down at least well enough to use, even if it doesn't become a staple. Until then, it will still be fun to play with double so kill delete lets.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-07-29, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On a related note, does anyone else here with Brain Age have trouble getting it to recognize the word "blue"? I always skip that test because it fails to recognize when I say "blue" probably four out of five times. Again, the same goes for my wife.
Depending on what version of the game you have, you have to say it differently. On mine I have to say 'baloo' otherwise it will come up red or black. On my girlfriend's I have to say 'brue'. I find this problem odd, as her Nintendogs works perfectly. Maybe it's because it's recognizing a previous recording and Brain Age is going off of a general recognition.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-07-29, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Yup, it gets everything right but blue. And it happens to me the vast majority of the time.

It also reads my "4" as "2" before I finish writing the number, which sometimes costs me 'points'/
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-29, 14:23

Holy Cow, he looks and sounds like Steve Carroll!
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-29, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Yup, it gets everything right but blue. And it happens to me the vast majority of the time.

It also reads my "4" as "2" before I finish writing the number, which sometimes costs me 'points'/
I'd the same problem. I got it to work by pronouncing "blue" a little more slowly. (When I say it, it sometimes sounds like Buloo).
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-07-29, 17:27

This serves as another reason to believe the following is true:
Quote:
Vista is busy being insanely late, while Leopard is busy being insanely great!
digitalprimate

2006-07-29, 17:28

I think Microsoft is DELIBERATELY planning these hiccups It's not the first time a demo effs up and by the looks of it, it won't be the last!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-07-29, 17:44

On my phone (Sony-Ericsson) I have to pre-record myself saying people's names, it doesn't recognize them without that comparitive element and I try to make the trigger terms very specific. Sometimes it loses its shit and I have to restart the phone, only after I have cursed the family of every person who ever built and/or coded it. I haven't tried using VR on my Macs in years and years for all the reasons mentioned above.

For such a vaunted "solution" voice recognition has been around long enough, with poor enough implementation, that it is begging to be replaced by a new technology paradigm.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-29, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99
Depending on what version of the game you have, you have to say it differently. On mine I have to say 'baloo' otherwise it will come up red or black. On my girlfriend's I have to say 'brue'. I find this problem odd, as her Nintendogs works perfectly. Maybe it's because it's recognizing a previous recording and Brain Age is going off of a general recognition.
Hmm. Stereotypes aside, many Japanese have a difficult time with 'L' vs. 'R'. At the age that linguistics neural tissue is organizing, if you're not exposed to distinct phonemes, it makes it almost impossible later in life to readily distinguish between them. Japanese has a phoneme that sits pretty much squarely between the European L and R, leading to later confusion. Alternately, we're not exposed to many distinctions common in other languages, and will have a hard time with them as well. Could be that the L/R recognition is splitting the difference...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-07-29, 17:55

That's probably why I have such toilsome discussions with my friend from Mexico when he tries to teach me the difference between sounds that are indistinguishable to my ears... and I have a fairly good ear for hearing those things. Very interesting.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-07-29, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Hmm. Stereotypes aside, many Japanese have a difficult time with 'L' vs. 'R'. At the age that linguistics neural tissue is organizing, if you're not exposed to distinct phonemes, it makes it almost impossible later in life to readily distinguish between them. Japanese has a phoneme that sits pretty much squarely between the European L and R, leading to later confusion. Alternately, we're not exposed to many distinctions common in other languages, and will have a hard time with them as well. Could be that the L/R recognition is splitting the difference...
Yeah, I was trying to think of a way to say that, but I know it would have come out as 'Engrish'. The other thing I notice is that a lot of other that speak/write English when it isn't their first language usually pluralize money as 'moneys'. I am given the chance to notice this frequently because my email is usually stuffed with subject lines saying how I won moneys from an NZ lottery.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-29, 22:37

From the news clip:

"Ouch! Let's not forget that the first part of 'recognition' is 'wreck', as in 'train wreck'..."

sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-07-29, 22:48

Wow, I just laughed my ass off.

Not as bad as the Windows 98 crash, however.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-07-29, 23:39

I love how in windows 98 Gates said "thats why we arent shipping it yet" and laughed. I love how this is also a demo..
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-07-29, 23:44

It's very easy to pick on the "big" guy when they mess up. That's just life.

Cruel. But true.