The Book of Boba Fett **SPOILERS(?)**

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Book of Boba Fett **SPOILERS(?)**
Page 3 of 6 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-06, 18:35

I get that the writers want to provide the backstory and all but this just feels like it is really dragging on. I haven't read all the posts above since it came out yesterday yet but did see "Dances with Wolves" in there and that was my exact thought.

Also, Boba sure does show his teeth. A LOT.

I'm going to go back and read the earlier posts but I suspect my comments/thoughts are already here so I'll come back and post more if they haven't been covered yet.

I'm still going to keep watching the series, it just feels like we should have taken a left turn at Albuquerque.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-06, 18:44

Wow, y'all already covered my thoughts on this show so far. I didn't skip though parts, but did check my phone for email, messages etc...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-06, 18:58

In those flashback/sandpeople moments, he reminds me of Mini Me...pale, scarred, similar facial expressions, can't seem to catch a break, etc.

I thought that last week, episode one, but this week did nothing to undo that.

Being dragged behind that bantha, all I heard was "eeeeee...", and then flipping the bird to that kid hitting him with the stick.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-07, 10:05

Mini Me is so right for this one.

I have to admit as more time passes I'm operating under faith that this series won't be a complete dud and that it is intentional that all the this drudgery is setting up something great.

I'm not sure I can accept that the team that brought Mandalorian can screw up Boba so bad. If I didn't have Mando as a reference I would likely only watch this when my kids have it on and I happened to be in the room.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-07, 10:35

I think the third installment has the potential to get moving. The "you're one of us" acceptance ceremony/campfire dance has now taken place (so maybe that marks the end of the flashback sequences), and we now know who the present-day villains are likely to be. Both of those bode well for a "something actually happening" third installment. Hopefully the story stays fully in the present, in Mos Espa and Jabba's palace, for a nice change.

And if he and Fennec have to go somewhere other than Mos Espa, then that's just a good excuse to see Slave 1 again. It's shown briefly in some of those trailers/promos in November-December, so I'm sure it puts in at least 1-2 appearances in the show.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-11, 19:05

Looking forward to this one. I’m (mostly) off/free tomorrow so I think I may get up super (stupid) early and watch.

I think there’s going to be some more stuff with the hammerhead mayor and the Hutts.

And I want some more aerial/establishing shots of Mos Espa. The looks/visuals this show pulls off on a TV budget is pretty incredible.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-12, 04:11

Okay! Now this episode was more of what I was expecting/hoping for. Very enjoyable, things progressed, things were learned, etc. If the remaining installments are like this, it'll be a fun watch.

Lots of cool things in this episode.

But first...Stephen Root? Danny Trejo?!

Things are falling into place. Boba will have some powerful allies as he goes up against that syndicate.

Best episode of the bunch, so far.

And when I saw him lying in the bacta tank (signifying another flashback), this one was a good one...brief, but powerful (and I wasn't expecting that). It was actually kinda sad/moving. But then it lurched back to present day in quite an unexpected way.

"Rawwwwwrrrr...".

The Wookiee was named, and it's the one from the other media he's been in, so that'll please many.

And who knew rancors could be so cuddly?

That teenage gang, with their 50's-colored bikes, seemed a skootch out of place and "huh?", but I can overlook that. They kept focusing on the young lady, so I assume a) she's going to play a larger, more important role, and/or b) she's already an established character in comics/novels/video games? Again, I'm more of a casual, movie-only fan, so I'm not going to recognize characters outside of that.

That nighttime shot of Mos Espa was very pretty.

Fennec had more dialogue/presence in this one, it seemed like. She didn't scowl the entire time, which was a nice change-up. Damn, she's fine.

Robert Rodriguez directed, and Jon Favreau wrote.

Lots of nice callbacks/references throughout...Jabba, the rancor, etc.

The speeder/motorcycle chase through Mos Espa seemed a bit by-the-numbers, but it was nice to see some more scenery/areas, so, again, I can overlook the sketchy CGI and "they're going kinda slow for a chase" aspect. Those colorful bikes do look out of place with all the other surroundings and tech. Nothing else there is that bright/vivid. But, to me, that's a very George Lucas/hotrod nod or callback, something that blatantly 1950's/early 60's (Terry the Toad and his Vespa in American Graffiti, etc.).

I have a feeling that big grouchy monkey is going to return and be a help/ally to Boba. They left on good terms, despite their earlier brawl.

Danny Trejo always pops up in stuff. I've actually been wondering all along, when he would...Robert Rodriguez and all. That's one of his go-to guys.

No complaints here. This was a solid, enjoyable episode that moved along nicely. This was what I was expecting, and I hope this is the style/pace it maintains, now that we're seeing who all the players are shaping up to be.

Feels great to not feel the way I did the past two Wednesdays. Yay! Only positive ink spilled this week...

PS - I loved the brief, incidental jetpack scene. No big fuss, etc. It's just how he arrived on the scene. Very cool, Boba dropping into frame like that. Because of all the setup in The Mandalorian, a lot of time and "look at this" isn't needed; you know now, as a viewer, Mando and Boba (and Bo-Katan and her bunch) just get around with this tech. That was a neat touch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-12, 11:07

PS - You know a character (Boba) is tough when they can take a straight-on punch from a 400-pound, 7-foot monkey with electrified brass knuckles.

I'd be on the floor for weeks, only to wake up with brain damage and about nine missing teeth.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-12, 18:00

I don’t think that teenage Vespa gang, smart-talking Boba Fett, is something I’m going to like. Felt a bit like a music video or one of those Nickelodeon/Disney Jr. “smartass teenager” shows that are always on those channels.

Upon second viewing, that bunch is the low point for me. Nothing seemed real or vaguely interesting//threatening about them.

So, yeah. If the United Colors of Benetton/Josie & the Pussycats street crew all died in an explosion next week, I’d be okay.

I still enjoyed the rest, so that’s a small thing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-12, 18:24

I have to admit, when I saw Boba in the tank again I groaned out loud. I was glad to see it short and "end his relationship" with the sand people.

Overall I really did enjoy the episode. I did find the "Vespa gang" a bit off too. So much about them just doesn't "fit in" with the rest of the planet, let alone Boba and his throne.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-12, 18:39

Exactly. They seemed like something that would be part of a more kid-oriented SW project. In addition to their out-of-place-looking bikes (so vibrant and pristine, in a world where nothing is), their droid-based prosthetics/"enhancements" looked pretty cheesy and "cheap TV show" (like a cyborg on Simon & Simon, circa 1986). I know this and The Mandalorian are TV shows, but they've never looked like it, always seeming quite large, sprawling and cinematic. Last night, I think I kinda saw the seams a bit for the first time. And it was all due to those Nick at Nite doofs.

Those kids, their vehicles and that cornball, 14mph "chase" just seemed like another show that got wedged into this one via an editing mistake.

"Dan, where did that footage of Tatoo-Teen Dance Squad Rangers go?"

"I added it the Boba show...was I not supposed to?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-19, 05:46

Interesting episode, #4.

Mostly flashback, but a nice gap-filling one. Boba rescues Fennec, gets his ship back, searches for his armor back at the Sarlacc pit, takes care of the biker gang, etc. The final few moments return to the present, where Boba hires the big Wookiee, attempts to unite the Mos Espa families to unite against the Pikes(?) and Fennec raises the possibility of using their wealth to hire additional muscle for the looming war.

When she said this, I thought I heard the Mandalorian theme.

Speaking of Fennec, how is Ming-Na Wen 58?! Holy smokes...

A few random things:

- "Firespray gunship" is how Boba referred to his ship; I knew they'd never utter the actual name of that thing. Perhaps they will, but in all the opportunities available to use it in this episode, it was called everything else. I just don't think that word gets said again, not in 2022 on a Disney show.

- That return to the Sarlacc pit was a nice visual/callback moment

- We got to see Boba's finding/rescue of Fennec from a slightly different perspective/angle, and how she acquired her new droid/bionic guts (hint: those Vespa kids from last week weren't the first time Boba encountered them)

- We finally see Han Solo's warning to Threepio during that "chess" game on the Falcon pay off; Wookiees do indeed do that

- Jennifer Beals...day-um

- In present day, Boba is now physically healed from his Sarlacc injuries; perhaps this signals the end of the bacta tank scenes/flashbacks? Who knows

- Lots of neat shots/scenes of Jabba's palace, including a kitchen area with a couple of entertaining scenes/characters; also the 3D footage from Fennec's drone filled in some nice gaps and helped show the scope/sprawl of the joint

- I never considered a Bantha "cute" or endearing before

- Another nice appearance of those seismic charges from Boba's ship (see? ), this time used at ground level and making sure something is finally dead for good

- Great footage of the ship, including positions/angles we'd never really seen before

I liked this episode. Moved along, filled in some gaps/answered some questions, etc. The bacta tank flashbacks were more recent, timing out with the events of that Mandalorian episode Fennec appeared in with that other bounty hunter who betrayed her. You see how he discovered her body. Some gorgeous nighttime Tatooine campfire shots throughout in 2-3 places. Some action and nothing as cringe-y/out-of-place as last week's 14mph 1950's Vespa chase. That gang of teens was barely in this one

This is now four out of seven episodes, and they're clearly building to a showdown with that Spice-running syndicate. Boba, with or without the help of the other families, is going to rid Tatooine of them.

I can't help but think we're in for some cameos, due to what's looming and Fennec's comment about using their money to hire some more muscle. I don't think it'll be the Mandalorian because he's still focused on Grogu at this period, but think back to that scene that introduced us to Boba Fett in 1980, on the bridge of the Star Destroyer and who else was there listening to Vader.

I think we're about to see Bossk, IG-88, Dengar and some others we only briefly glimpsed in The Empire Strikes Back. That's my guess. What other "muscle for hire", said in such a way at the closing seconds of the episode, would make such a tease worthwhile? Bounty hunters and merc for hire, doing any sort of job for the money?

And I don't know how/why/when they'll do it (possibly in the closing moments of the final episode), but I just have this unshakable feeling we're in for a Han Solo cameo. In the same way de-aged Hamill showed up in the final Mandalorian to wrap up Grogu's arc, now that we know these shows are willing to open that can, I don't put anything past them. Boba, being all changed and mellow/thoughtful in his post-bounty hunter life makes me think he'd want to "clear the air" or show his forgiveness for Han having been the reason he went in the pit. Also, Lucasfilm hired that guy who made those far better deep fakes of Hamill. Maybe that's what he's been working on this past year, giving us an accurate, believable five-years-post-ROTJ Han Solo/Harrison Ford?

I'm still predicting this. We'll see.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-20, 11:14

PS - With each episode, I’m a little more confused about the timeline/passage of time and how it relates to ROTJ, The Mandalorian, how present/current are the Mos Espa scenes, etc. Is everything we’re seeing happen “present day” post-Grogu’s departure with Luke, or happening while he’s still with Mando and the events of season 2, prior to “The Rescue”?

I know the earlier flashbacks with the sand people were close to his escape from the Sarlacc…but how long was he with them? Months? Years? There’s a 5-6 year gap between ROTJ and The Mandalorian and those episodes we first saw Boba and Fennec appear in.

I’d love to figure it all out and put it into some sort of visual timeline infographic, just for my own jollies.

This latest episode had some Mando overlap…Fennec’s shooting, that Mos Eisley hangar woman walking the streets with her droids, etc. They’re telling us that in at least two sequences in season one of The Mandalorian, Boba Fett was very nearby and even aware of/seeing things happen that we saw on another show 1-2 years ago. Kinda neat, filling in those blanks.

Almost makes me think we’re going to see Timothy Olyphant’s Marshal again, somewhere in these final three episodes (if only in a flashback). At the end of that first episode of season 2 where Mando gets Fett’s armor back from the Marshal, we know Boba was around/aware (that was our first glimpse/reveal of him, as he turned toward the camera in that final shot.

The table has been (slowly) set…these final three episodes have to start paying off. Resolutions, reveals, cameos, actions taken, etc.).

And I’m hoping there’s some sort of scene or dialogue that clarifies the timeline a bit more. Or maybe Lucasfilm doing so with some sort of graphic on their website.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-20, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I’d love to figure it all out and put it into some sort of visual timeline infographic, just for my own jollies.
Okay.

It's rough, but I've formatted it in such a way that I'll be able to insert new stuff that comes to light in the final three episodes. I've just hit the high marks so far, of stuff I can easily recall. I don't know how long Boba hung with the Sandpeople, but it might've been years?

I've color-coded the three live-action properties the character has appeared in...red for ROTJ, gold for The Mandalorian and, of course, green for The Book of Boba Fett. I'm trying to lay it out chronologically, of course. I'm unsure on a few things (when did Fett and Shand return to Tatooine?). I put it after the events of the the second season of The Mandalorian. Again, I can tweak all this as needed. If anyone sees any mistakes or glaring omissions - and by "anyone" I probably mean Capella - let me know. But I may just make "silent" updates to it and then repost after each new episode, or just wait until after the final one.

Also, I've noted by the little circles when Boba has his armor (green) and when he doesn't). As for the ABY timelines on the left, I'm getting all this from Wookieepedia.

I haven't really broken down current-day events as it's pretty much kinda been the same thing (meeting with people paying tribute, dealing with the mayor, making plans). That current-day timeline may get expanded after the coming episodes, when more, bigger stuff happens present-day.

In any case, it's helping me get a better handle on things...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-20 at 21:47.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-20, 22:15

::likes image::

This wants to be a horizontal timeline. Don't make me do this for you, I ain't got time!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-20, 23:49

I agree, but this vertical works better for the format/easy viewing here, which is more up/down. I can add three more episodes’ worth of entries and it’ll increase in length as you scroll the thread.

Once the final episode airs and all entries are complete, I’ll reformat and post a link to a proper horizontal version. Already laying it out…

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-21 at 04:12.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-25, 12:47

I'll continue talking to myself...

Tonight (overnight) is episode 5...tonight and just two more after it. Three episodes left for all this front-end setup to come together/pay off. Good grief...this show should've been subtitled The Slow-Burn Chronicles.

While I enjoyed the past two episodes a bit more than the first two, still not much has actually happened. Lots of slow, quiet stretches and a lot of talking, punctuated by some brief action. But it's been ladled out so slowly. There are several possible villains (the mayor, those Moe Espa crime families, the Hutts, the Pykes(sp?), some larger crime family/syndicate (Crimson Dawn?), Thrawn, Sith Jawas, Greedo's brother-in-law, etc.

Just seems that would be a little clearer by now, four episodes in. I truly don't know where things are heading, other than the obvious (Boba wanting to take out those spicers with help from...??). Other than that, everything's wide open...Din Djarin, TESB bounty hunters, Han Solo cameo, if Thrawn does factor in in any way (if only by name) that sets up a possible Ahsoka cameo since she's in this current timeline and maybe her show is set up in the final episode(s) of this one, etc.

The only thing I know for sure: Cara Dune won't be showing up. That's it. That's the one thing I'm 98% sure on.

Other than that, I suppose anything is up for grabs, these final three episodes. I'll do what I've done the past two weeks: set an alarm and wake up at 2:55am to play Worldle, then watch the new Boba episode at 3am. I'm taking off tomorrow (birfday!) so I don't care if I'm up at 3-4am). I would love to have an episode to write about in a breathlessly positive "OMG!" kinda way, believe me. I wait for it to happen every week

I would love something to happen in episode five that makes the previous four seem like "well, of course...totally worth the build!". Fingers crossed. Again.

I will say this: if the upcoming Ahsoka and Kenobi shows are more like this (as opposed to The Mandalorian), I'll cool greatly on this Disney+ Star Wars fare, and my interest in the property will revert back to OT-only levels. I'm not looking to spend half of 2022 chasing my tail on shows that just aren't flipping my switches. I'll definitely tune in for a third season of The Mandalorian (it's earned my interest), but I'm not going to watch Ahsoka Tano or Obi-Wan Kenobi sit pensively by campfires as they try to figure out reasons not to ignite their lightsaber.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-25 at 13:04.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-25, 13:13

I can totally see Ahsoka appearing in this some how to tie her in and build momentum for her show's release.

Heck, if Disney can figure out how, they would drag Obi Wan into it too... though that is not in the same timeline so maybe they make him old in this one.

One thing that does seem to be standing out is that one show builds for the next series that is releasing and helps fuel the excitement for the next show's release.

While I'm thrilled this show finally feels like it is running on half throttle, it took a long time to get to this point. Up 'til the last few it was a drudgery to watch and that sucked all around.

Also, I can totally see Din showing up since the end of this season would be after he's given up Grogu. Maybe it is how Din gets a new ship.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-25, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I can totally see Ahsoka appearing in this some how to tie her in and build momentum for her show's release.
I'm kinda wondering/hoping that too. In the same way Boba's show branched off from his appearance in the finally few episodes of The Mandalorian, maybe there is some sort of yet-to-be-revealed Thrawn aspect to this show which gives Ahsoka a reason to show up on Tatooine, following leads and nicely setting up her upcoming show? I could dig that. That's exactly what happened in the final moments of last year's finale of The Mandalorian. Isn't unheard of.

Quote:
Heck, if Disney can figure out how, they would drag Obi Wan into it too... though that is not in the same timeline so maybe they make him old in this one.
Old is the least of his worries. He's dead in this timeline, by a good nine years or so.

Quote:
Also, I can totally see Din showing up since the end of this season would be after he's given up Grogu.
That flute-y musical cue at the end of last week's episode absolutely pointed to Din Djarin, when Fennec said something like "muscle can be found if you know where to look". No accident that The Mandalorian theme made a brief appearance. Why tease that and not follow through?

Quote:
Maybe it is how Din gets a new ship.
That's one other thing to consider, and it's something I actually talked about a year ago during The Mandalorian's run, as Boba Fett was appearing more.

We don't really know Boba Fett's arc. This one show might be a one-off seven episode installment. We've seen his redemption, from a hardened, brutal bounty hunter - one of the galaxy's most feared and efficient, from all I've ever heard and read - to a more thoughtful, "big picture" type (but he can still be a hard-case when needed). There's part of me that almost assumes Boba Fett dies at the end of this series. And, even better, in some truly awesome, heroic and selfless way (saving Din, Fennec, etc.). That completes his arc and establishes his legacy...he may not have succeeded as a long-term crime lord, but we finally got to learn how he escaped the Sarlacc pit, what he did in those years afterwards (Dances with Banthas), how he got back both his ship and his armor, how he toppled Jabba's throne and tried to establish some sort of order/control in Mos Espa, his loyalty to Fennec, avenged his fallen fellow tribe members, plus whatever he does in the next three episodes.

But if Din Djarin shows up to help and he factors into these final episodes (a flip-flop of last year's Mandalorian final installments), and Boba Fett winds up dying in the battles/action to come...who else should Slave-I go to but Din Djarin? You wind up solving about 4-5 things in one fell swoop:

- Boba's arc/legacy is fully told and established; we all now know what became of him and how he spent his remaining years, post-Sarlacc

- Making him go out a hero, possibly even sacrificing himself in the process, only solidifies his reputation and standing...both in-universe and among fandom; what's more bad-ass than facing/accepting death for a bigger, greater cause (or saving your friends)?

- Din Djarin needs a new ship...one built for speed, lethality and cargo/prisoner storage/transportation; I can certainly think of one that fits that bill!

- In-story, this ship going to a new owner would nicely set up the reason why it gets a new, official (and less "problematic on Earth 2022") name...Din could re-christen something of his choosing (The Grogu Express ) and so that famous bit of Fett legacy (Jango and Boba), that iconic ship, still lives on, and belongs to an established, popular character who everyone can agree should be the one to own it should its current owner wind up dying; just makes all kinds of sense and would be nice carryover from the OT to these Disney+ shows. It's too cool of a ship to not have around.

- Character-wise, if Fennec Shand survives, it gives her reason to stick around and appear in the third season of The Mandalorian. She attaches herself to Din and she becomes the new female sidekick/badass figure, now that Gina Carano Tweeted herself out of a gig and lost that role? I think most fans would be happy to see Fennec stick around and appear in the third season of The Mandalorian, now allied with Din Djarin, since both Grogu and Cara Dune are no longer in the picture? Again, nice carryover. They already know each other through their mutual contact with Boba Fett. I could see her trading one helmeted partner for another. Or maybe she doesn't appear in every episode and opts to stay back on Tatooine to carry out Boba's plans? But she could certainly make appearances or factor in to future installments of various shows (The Mandalorian and anything taking place on Tatooine in Ahsoka

And if Boba Fett dying is just too much of a downer, grim thing, one other workable alternate scenario could be: he vanquishes the Pykes and establishes order in Mos Espa and fully ascends to the throne vacated by Jabba...and, realizing that's now his new life and "job", he may no longer need/want his ship? He's no longer having to go out into the galaxy and be a bounty hunter or "for-hire" hard-case (he even blatantly talked about no longer wanting that life in last week's episode, which I kinda took as a setup/foreshadowing/hint-dropping). And so he gifts it to Din Djarin in the final moments of the final installment in three weeks, as an act of thanks or some sort of Mandalorian "payback code" or whatever; if he no longer wants/needs it, it must be handed over to another Mandalorian, or someone "worthy"/deserving in whatever way the show establishes? He and Fennec remain on Tatooine, fully taking over Jabba's racket and living out their lives in that palace and Mos Espa (maybe our final shot of Boba and Fennec are them no longer wearing their fighting type of clothing/armor and, instead, more "regal"/leadership garb (stylish robes or whatever...I'd love to see a "cleaned up", softer Fennec in those final moments...Boba's "queen", for lack of a better word) as a way to show that both have finally escaped their violent, gunslinging past, stayed loyal to each other and are set for life as the unofficial mayors of Mos Espa and keeping everything in line...ruling "with respect".

It would be some sort of satisfying "justice" that Jabba the Hutt (the "idiot") was ultimately replaced by the person he was responsible for getting "killed" (Boba isn't on that sail barge - scrapping with Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Lando and Chewie - if he wasn't doing work for Jabba years earlier). That's the perfect "last laugh". Everything that was Jabba's is now all his...tributes, territories, respect, that palace, he's got a new pet rancor, Danny Trejo is lurking around the premises for comic relief/storytelling, etc.

And Din Djarin winds up with Slave-I, renames it something that won't cause Twitter to cry throughout season three of The Mandalorian and everyone gets to be happy.

I'm cool with any/all of the above.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-25 at 14:34.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-01-25, 14:16

It seems pretty clear that BOBF is The Mandalorian Season 2.5. The tone, format etc is exactly the same. As such, it seems to make sense that it feeds back into the Mandalorian at the end.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-25, 14:50

Same writer/directors/show-runners, filming style/tech (that big projection dome room), etc., so yeah. Definite carryover and can't help but maintain the tone/look.

Tonight's (well, tomorrow morning's) episode may confirm that if Din Djarin shows up.

They've got all kinds of ways they can go.

I bet we still see Bossk, Dengar, etc. in some way as well. "Hiring muscle"...that's bounty hunters, mercs and the like. No real loyalty to anyone, but willing to throw down for a bag/suitcase of credits. That opens some doors for some neat appearances.

Money isn't Boba and Fennec's problem, so they'll hire the best to go up against those spice traders. All the years they spent in their line of work - bounty hunter and assassin - they know the best.

That final episode could be like Avengers: Endgame...Din Djarin, Bo Katan and her crew, those TESB bounty hunters, that big arm-tearing gladiator monkey, Apollo Creed, Bill Burr's motormouth character, some hard, pipe-hittin' Sandpeople, etc. all show up? And if Ahsoka happened to be there following up on Thrawn news/leads...people would lose their minds. Disney+ Star Wars All-Stars.

I realize at some point Din Djarin and Bo Katan are going to have to figure something out, but they can save that for the third season. Maybe they'll agree to temporarily set aside killing each other to help someone with a similar bitchin' helmet?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-25 at 15:02.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-26, 04:34

Just watched episode 5.

Bryson, you were right on track, more than you realized!

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

GIVING FOLKS ONE LAST OPPORTUNITY TO BAIL BEFORE I START

BEAT IT, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED...COME BACK AFTER YOU SEE THE EPISODE!!!

OKAY...

No Boba this episode; we spent 50+ minutes catching up with Mando.

Damn, this was a good episode.

Funny how, a year ago, we were all stoked to see Boba Fett on an episode of The Mandalorian. That character, after just 16 shows over two seasons, has become so popular/likable that it's now a genuine thrill and delight to see him on Boba Fett's show.

Written by Favreau, and directed by Bryce Dallas Howard.

My usual thoughts, in no particular order:

- The opening two minutes, including Mando's appearance/entrance...pure awesome, bad-ass cowboy. ZERO time wasted, and it just got right down to business; I realized just how much I enjoy/miss Mando's voice and cool, no-nonsense personality...but he's still funny in his own way at times. Just a great character and great to see again after a year-plus break!

- This show is definitely set post-Grogu; Din Djarin is missing his little friend, is planning to go visit him and even had something made for him

- Speaking of which, the Armorer and that large, bulky Mandalorian are still alive and rebuilding

- The Darksaber!

- The humor throughout in places was spot on (minus that Mos Eisley mechanic woman, played by Amy Sedaris...see below)

- That city in orbit in the opening 15 or so minutes was awesome

- Damn, it's good to see Mando again

- That Mos Eisley mechanic woman and her droids reappeared

- He has a new ship; it's something we've seen before, but you have to go way back in Star Wars time/lore...a nice touch, nice carryover and the test flight sequence was awesome. He no longer has a bulky gunship, but a bad-ass little space hotrod...and it totally works/fits. That'll be neat to see more of; as much as I like my idea upthread, I'm okay with this playing out as well; went 180 from what I'd expect, but that's what makes it enjoyable/memorable

- So many nice little touches/references throughout...Beggar's Canyon, a visually stunning flashback with TIE bombers, references to Jedi, "I can bring you in warm...", memories/thoughts of Grogu (mentioned by name at least twice, referenced/hinted at another 2-3), Bo Katan and the perma-chip on her shoulder , X-wings and that one pilot/"cop" we saw in The Mandalorian? Also, imperial probe droids.

- First episode to actually show space, with the first half of the episode taking place in in a large space station city orbiting the planet, and then a couple of sequences of space travel (a commercial airliner down to the planet below and Mando's test flight)...this episode looked like Star Wars!

- The episode ends with Fennec finding Mando, tossing him a bag of credits and saying she and Boba need muscle. Mando tosses the bag back, telling her to tell Boba it's "on the house", but first he has to go see a friend; so nice how it shows him missing Grogu. With only two episodes left, I don't know if they'll actually spend time on that, or if the final two installments will show them wrapping up the looming conflict with the Pykes

- No other appearances (this week) by anyone I mentioned in previous post(s), but who knows what next week holds. Then again, Mando might be all the muscle they need.

- This episode makes me want the third season of The Mandalorian to hurry up and arrive...over all else, in fact (Ahsoka, Andor or Kenobi)

- Damn, that very opening shot of Mando showing up (because of the kind of entrance it was, you see the silhouette and you assume it's Boba...when Mando walks in and that little flute theme hits, you can't help but smile and get a bit of a nerd rush/boner Perfect reintroduction

- The episodes name is perfect/awesome

- Is it weird/ironic that I'm finally writing the type of post about this show that I've been dying to for five weeks...and the show's title character isn't even in it?! How funny

- Best episode of the bunch, and probably just because it was a complete departure/surprise; we knew he was coming after last week's hinting/musical cue, but damn...didn't know we'd get a whole "catch up" episode, outer space, dark saber, Grogu references, the Armorer, at least six "this is the way" utterances, etc. This was basically episode 1 of the third season of The Mandalorian, IMO.

- All the YouTubers and their stupid open-mouth, I-just-shit-my-nerd-pants thumbnails are gonna have a ball with this one

- The entire episode looked amazing...space, low orbit, in atmosphere stunt-flying, Mos Eisley, etc.

- The only thing I wasn't bonkers about (and I saved it for the end so as not to take away from any of the above) is that annoying-as-hell mechanic lady; she just always seems out of the place with the endless hammy quipping; she comes across as someone written for those ABC Friday night family sitcoms, or one of those Disney Channel kid/teen comedies where everyone is constantly mugging/overacting/doing shtick. It just kinda gets old after about 2-3 minutes; she's played a bit too cartoonish/broadly and it just seems a bit odd in context with all other characters (such a complete 180 from, say, the Armorer or even Fennec Shand). I just think it's a bit heavy-handed and out-of-place, the whole character. She never stops. But, thankfully, she's only an occasional guest star and the show isn't centered around her in any way (I think this is only her third appearance total, so that's somewhat bearable). But that's it; I loved everything else

Who knew Opie/Richie Cunningham's daughter would make such a good Star Wars director? She seems to "get it" in a way certain others never could/did. She directed a couple of solid installments of The Mandalorian (Sanctuary and The Heiress), so it was neat to see that she helmed such an enjoyable episode of this show, although it was completely centered around Mando. The Mandalorian, season 2.5, indeed!

That's about it. Me liked!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-26 at 07:20.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-26, 07:48

A couple of things:

- This show is way better than Apple when it comes to keeping secrets. While I assumed a certain character was going to appear, I was completely unaware it was to be like this

Which leads to…

- as the result of above, The Book of Boba Fett is now basically a six-episode show. Because nothing whatsoever from that show made it to this one until, literally, the final 20-30 seconds! That means the Boba show, which actually has just six episodes to tell its story, has slow-burned itself to a situation to where it took four episodes to finally get going, and now only two episodes left to fully address/wrap up/resolve whatever it is they’re looking to do.

That’s a lot of wasted time and movement, IMO. And that it’s the same bunch behind The Mandalorian is what is so interesting. Are they making a deliberate effort to go about this show differently than the other?

My enjoyment of this new episode is easily 3x that of anything I experienced from 1-4.

The difference? The central character and the director. Hmmm.

Maybe Boba Fett wasn’t worth trying to build an entire show around after all? Maybe his past/Sarlacc escape/recovery could’ve been told in a 52-minute episode of The Mandalorian in its upcoming third season? Just feels like they’re made a lot of sparks and spun their wheels in the creation of something that maybe didn’t need to be?

I think I’d rather they put that time, money and effort into a 10-12 episode season of The Mandalorian instead, giving Boba a dedicated episode and still leaving 9-11 available for Mando.

I can’t be the only person thinking this. One single, tightly written 50-minute episode could’ve easily conveyed all they’ve done so far in four. I never would’ve imagined Favreau & Co. could’ve made this iconic, loved-for-four-decades character’s story such a slog to sit through.

Episodes 6-7 better pay off big, otherwise this is all just a fart in a hot skillet and a waste of some expensive camera equipment.

If these upcoming fill-in-the-blanks backstory shows (Kenobi, etc.) are going to be more of the same, I’d rather they pull back/cancel them and just focus on Mando, the only new, truly original character they have, and just make that show as good as it can be for 8-12 episodes every year.

They have a winning formula/approach with The Mandalorian, IMO. Maybe they should consider putting all their eggs in that helmet?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-26 at 08:30.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-26, 12:53

Haha...I keep thinking just how fun/satisfying this episode was.

I love the real-world counterparts to things, places, etc. we know on this planet. That butcher shop/meat market, casinos, commercial airlines (space lines?), biker gangs (minus those oddly-colored Vespas), live music, opulent dinners, weasel-y politicians and their twerpy aides, hotrodding/modifying vehicles, kids on airplanes looking at the adult passengers behind them, etc.

I know all the Star Wars properties do this, but these Disney+ shows really play it up. The very opening scenes of this latest episode...using those frosted plastic "doorways" like you'd see in butcher/meat shop on earth, the white tile walls, etc. It nicely grounds things that need to be.

Kinda curious what kind of meat that was? Wampa burgers?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-01-26, 21:54

Just watched it: Feeling rather vindicated right now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-26, 22:09

Nerd Sidebar, for Paul.

That "city" you describe is a ringworld.

Larry Niven was the first mainstream sci-fi author to bring them to the masses in the 1970s.

Imagine a ribbon wrapped entirely around a star, a thousand miles wide and millions of miles in circumference, with a second, smaller inner ring (closer to the star) featuring shade panels to block out star light to provide a period of night as your portion of the ringworld rotates in and out of those shadowed portions.

This structure would take an incredible span to construct and might be ancient even in the time of Star Wars, left over from some prior advanced civilization.

Dyson spheres are "full" ringworlds; a shell built entirely around a star to capture every bit of energy.

Also: great episode!!!!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-26, 23:50

It's been really nice seeing all the reviews, breakdowns, discussions and reactions throughout the day on YouTube. I've yet to stumble across a channel/creator who doesn't love this episode and all it represents. People were hungry for something to happen. That they got it via a fan favorite was a great surprise.

Like many teased setups on lots of shows, I was fully prepared for Din Djarin to just show up in about the final 4-6 minutes, cliffhanging things into episode 6 where Stuff Might Finally Happen. When he walked though those plastic strips in the first 20 seconds I was like 'they're not screwing around, are they?"

It's definitely episode 1 of the new season of The Mandalorian, by all reason.

It's funny (and awesome) that a character that didn't even exist three or so years ago is totally holding his own against one who's been extremely popular with fans for four-plus decades now.

That's nothing to sneeze at! And it should not be lost on anyone at Disney and Lucasfilm.

They created a new character obviously based around Boba Fett - appearance, occupation, personality/bearing - and he's hanging right there with the original, in terms of popularity and fandom.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-27, 10:10

As sleek and nimble as Mando's new ship is, I'm failing to see how it helps him in his main occupation/career. It was established, throughout two seasons of The Mandalorian, that the Razor Crest had carbon freeze facilities (for safely, quietly transporting bounties), a gun/weapons closet, sleeping quarters, room for cargo, etc. Basically a space RV.

This new ship means he'll need to do some top-down adjusting of his usual ways/approaches. Although, as shown in the opening minutes of this latest episode, there's always the option of bringing his quarry in "cold"...I assume there's probably some room in that new hotrod/muscle-craft for a severed head or two? He may just stop offering the "warm" option to his bounties? That solves/addresses a lot of issues real quick.

And don't think for one second that, at some point, even just a one-time "ride" for fun/old times sake, that Grogu isn't riding backseat, in that old astromech slot, now with the glass domed canopy. We won't get out of 2022 with at least one shot of that...the kid enjoying a ride in the backseat behind his daddy.

And, depending on how large that compartment is (taking out the astromech droid equipment, ports, etc.), I suppose it could fit a "warm" prisoner for transport? The ship is so fast, the trip probably won't take long anyway. So maybe that's one part of things solved. And maybe that'll also be a neat part of season three: how Mando further customizes the thing (weapon storage, etc.)? It still has some missing panels on those two engines. I think it would be cool if, eventually, those are all replaced/filled-in and it's as sleek as possible and gets a nice matte silver/great paintjob, maybe even with a subtle, contrasting "rally stripe" somewhere to further drive home that hotrod/muscle car vibe. He's got that air intake thing sitting on the "hood", so that's obviously something they're going for, along with that throaty rumble when he first started it up.

Nice clear shot of the new, still-in-progress(?) ship.

He sanded off much of the yellow, but he did leave a nice symmetrical design which I didn't notice in the show, only from looking at the above still from the episode. I'd actually be okay with this look, if he'd just find panels for the engines and close all that in to keep stuff out (space birds/rodents, thieving Jawas, enemies and saboteurs). And it would have to help with aerodynamics/performance. I believe it'll look more complete/seamless by the final episode of season three. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if he eventually named it something related to/evoking Grogu. Not his outright name, but something that has meaning, if only to Mando. Knight Rising?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-27 at 10:27.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-27, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Just watched it: Feeling rather vindicated right now.
Yep, for sure.

I saw a comment online and it made a lot of sense and kinda rewired my thinking on BoBF: the overall story/saga is indeed that of the Mandalorian/Din Djarin. This "book of" is just a one-off side trip...set in that world/timeframe, but a temporary focus on a side character, to tell his story. Was probably never intended to set the world on fire or launch its own ongoing series.

I think they've kinda stumbled on the execution a skootch - it just hasn't been particularly engaging, despite looking great - but it's just one small part of this overall thing.

I don't think the response/enthusiasm is there for them to carry on with it, when, IMO, the character works better as an occasional helper/ally in the bigger Mandalorian story.

Frankly, people have built the character up to such an insane degree for 40+ years, there's really no way real-life was going to live up to the expectations and all the things people have imagined or come up with in their own heads. In the exact same way that silly-ass Mustafar duel at the end of Revenge of the Sith never came close to what I'd pictured/imagined in my own mind for 20-25 years. That's a tall order and I think studios should sometimes think long and hard about what they choose to depict, knowing that it's a very hard thing to match the imaginations of people. You're almost always going to come up short.

That's why I, personally, am just not a fan of the whole "prequel" thing, for any property/franchise. It becomes a checkbox exercise vs. real storytelling. That's a huge part of the reason I think The Mandalorian is succeeding. While it certainly acknowledges the past and decades of Star Wars lore, it isn't constrained by any of it. They're not "owing" anyone anything in the way of "well, you gotta now explain how..." hassles. It just gets to unfold however it wants to, regardless of anything Obi-Wan or Vader said or did ~30 years prior. That's very freeing, both for the creators and for us watching. We get nice callbacks and cameos as they make sense, but Din Djarin isn't a fallen Jedi who's carrying some big Yoda secret about a secret temple inside a Sith forest and blah blah blah...

It's a cowboy show. With a bit more heart than some. And I think Disney/Lucasfilm/Favreau/Filoni made a good call in breaking away from all that stuff and just presenting a more digestible, relatable story...a hardened bounty hunter who changed his life/outlook to protect someone who couldn't protect themselves. It's no more complicated than that. They'll have to come up with some sort of "hook" for season three without feeling like a redundant retread, but episode 5 played out just fine with no Grogu in the mix. So they seem to know what they're doing.

I'm thinking maybe season three plays out as Mando's attempts to deliver Grogu's gift, but, naturally, gets sidetracked along the way by different jobs/missions. But that maybe, come the final episode, we get that nice payoff where the two briefly reunite, Grogu gets his Beskar bib/rattle, Mando knows he's safe. We may even get another brief Luke appearance (with even better, much improved CGI/deep-fake work), to help reassure Mando that Grogu is indeed safe, and that he's learning, growing, controlling his fear, etc. Maybe all ending up on a sweet, happy and uplifting note, to contrast with last year's "ouch...goodbye" finale.

"Ah, there she is...Din, I'd like you to meet my sister and her husband."

After last year, anything is possible...I poo-poo/dismiss nothing. In the same way that the season 2 finale of The Mandalorian gave us the Luke Skywalker we were denied in the sequels, maybe the other thing Favreau & Co. seek to "fix" is how we never got to see our trio of heroes together again in the same scene/frame across those three movies? They were all broken, scattered to the wind and basically miserable (in order to better "subvert expectations" or whatever). Imagine the reaction to our de-aged trio, in happier times and meeting the Mandalorian. People would absolutely freak!

Camera slowly pulls out of the training temple as everyone is talking, drifts upward to the sky, music swells (new and familiar themes) and you see Din's ship sitting next to the Falcon. Fade to black, roll credits. Would that not be a satisfying closing scene in the season finale for a show that's earned it?

I think closing moments of season finales are allowed to indulge in a bit of unhinged nostalgia/fan-service. You wouldn't want to base the entire series around it, nonstop, but it's certainly a nice gift you can give to the fans who've watched/supported the show. It worked nicely last time.

I'm just hoping we don't see Grogu with braces and an emo haircut, acting all surly and listening to shitty music. Let's not have the little guy grow up/age too quickly, okay?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-27 at 12:49.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-27, 11:52

I haven't had much time for jabbering on this subject, but did anyone else notice that Disney snuck The Mandalorian Season 3 into the lineup last night?

Also, that long stick-thing that Mando shoved into the back of the N1 Starfighter might have been the same stick thing that Luke tried to brace the garbage compactor walls with. I'm pretty sure that thing was floating around in there with the old gang.

I need to read back through the posts, but haven't had time.

Edit: Catching up a bit, I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but the crazy mechanic lady and her mech-droids show up in Episode 4 (I think) in a shot from the roof, just "passing by".

My kid called the opening entrance before I did, because she had the Mando flute in her head from Ep 4.

We liked 3 and 4, but loved 5. Whatever happened, this production group created a character who is absolutely beloved by the entire Star Wars community, and his reappearance — in the middle of an "unrelated" show, no less — set us all on nerd-fire!

As soon as that space city was revealed, I turned around and looked at Jess and said, "Hey, that's Halo!" And Jess says, "Disney, you ripped off Halo?" It was awesome, and good for Disney for getting that thing into live-action before its own creators could.

I knew the new ship was an N1 before it was even uncovered. The blanket/tarp had the right profile and I was thinking, "", but as it progressed like a Hot Rod rebuild reality show I was getting increasingly excited. The test flight was the best scene in all of Star Wars since way back. That was a really nice shot and very well done.

Who woulda thunk that X-wings would become comic relief?

I thought the Mandalorian lady was a bit harsh in her removal of Mando from the order. But, I guess it is what it is? Maybe the Mando actor is wanting his face on screen and this provides an opportunity, since he no longer has to keep the helmet on? IDK

Lots of cute little call-outs to the saga, with very subtle nostalgia tossed in. The N1, the long tube-thing they shoved into the N1, references to Grogu, the X-wings (again), the Night of Tears, references to the Jedi, various droids and other bits scattered here and there, audio cues, characters popping in and out, ships with familiar design cues (especially Corellian themes — the Starliners had very clear lines that reminded me of the Millennium Falcon).

This was a fun episode.

And that bothers me.

This is supposed to get me all happy/excited for Boba Fett (and some of the material has done so) but what I now know that I really want is more of Mando. That is both good and bad. It's good because it reminds me just how good The Mandalorian was as a series, and bad because The Book of Boba Fett just isn't drawing me in the way I was hoping. My gut tells me they're trying their hardest, but they just don't seem to have a complete grasp of Boba's place, and it's beginning to feel a bit forced. The pretty-colored biker gang doesn't fit at all, the chase scene was poorly done, and Boba just seems a bit too soft*.

And that's why The Mandalorian works. His no-nonsense, "Western" tough-guy persona works for the fanbase. In the fifth episode of a show about Bobna Fett, Mando is the hero. Which tells me that the entire premise of this show misses the overall mark. While I want other characters to pop in and out, each main character's story has to be strong enough that another character does not immediately steal the thunder. Here's an example: My favorite character in all of Star Wars is Ahsoka Tano. When she appeared in The Mandalorian, she was awesome and well-written, and the character was well-acted. But her appearance did not still Mando's thunder. She only added to the story line while she was passing through and gave us all a lusty taste of the future.

But, The Book of Boba Fett has been presented in such a way that a character from a different show just pulled the carpet out from beneath the main character's feet, and now all we can think about is how Mando is going to save the day (and the show). That's a critical mistake that cannot be rectified, and demonstrates that this group of producers is going to be very good at introducing new characters, but may struggle to build a complete show around existing characters. As much as I am looking forward to Ahsoka and Obi Wan getting the time, I'm now worried.

* I hate to inject this thought, but it feels like Boba Fett is a bit emasculated, and Fenec Shand is the acting-tough Feminine Hero. Neither works for me. The strong, traditional, example-setting masculine hero is "softened" to the point of being pathetic, and the strong, traditional, example-setting feminine hero is "strengthened" to the point of being overbearing. It feels like a Kathleen Kennedy-approved role reversal, and the characters lose their natural believability. This method is tugged from SW Episode VIII, where it failed more than miserably. There's a reason why these engineered gender roles don't work: Because IRL men and women don't relate to them without force or peer pressure. Thus, the series feels like it should be great, but it loses because Boba Fett is too much like Captain Phasma: Built up with a tough, unproven reputation, but then falling flat because they're too damned timid.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-01-27 at 13:42.