Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

On the subject of getting banned...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
On the subject of getting banned...
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-19, 20:55

OK, so this is not to step on any toes, just general curiosity.

Every now and then, I'm quietly and innocently browsing through a thread, to stumble across a lovely little description that says BANNED: I need proper motivation. While that's perfectly witty and humorous, it always makes a nice little question mark start floating around in my head. (What, I'm perfectly sane, I swear! )

Anyway, that's all fine and dandy. Seriously, though, I always find myself wondering what the offense was that caused someone to get banned. I've heard from another thread that the three letters I-B-L will sometimes get you a nice 24- or 48-hour vacation from AN. Beyond that, however, I tend to be the kind of person that likes to learn from other peoples' mistakes... and sometimes chuckle at them if it was something egregiously stupid.

Is there somewhere that documents why various users get banned, for the edification of other AN citizens so that we don't commit similar offenses? Or perhaps just for getting the chance to go "yeah, that was stupid." If not, does anyone think it might be a good thing to have a forum or thread where the admins (or whomever) can post saying "User X was banned for this series of posts" or "... was banned for [insert offense here]"?

Just an idea, mostly to satisfy my unfettered curiosity about this sort of stuff... thoughts, anyone?

Oh, and here's to hoping that I don't get any free vacation time for starting this thread!

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2005-11-20 at 14:01. Reason: Wow, I can't believe I missed this. "Chuckle" is indeed spelled with a K. K? Good.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-11-19, 21:08

Check out the posting guidelines for information on why people get banned.

http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.shtml

Most of it is common sense. Enjoy
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-19, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers

Check out the posting guidelines for information on why people get banned.

http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.shtml

Most of it is common sense. Enjoy
Right right, but I saw a particular user this afternoon who was banned, but after looking at the last bunch of his/her posts, I couldn't quite determine why... nothing seemed like a blatant violation of the guidelines, so I decided to post here. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Though, it might even be humorous to see witty comments even if there were blatant violations.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-19, 21:28

The posting guidelines also say not to question or comment on a moderator's judgement in public, but rather to PM them. So PM some admin on why the person was banned.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-19, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
The posting guidelines also say not to question or comment on a moderator's judgement in public, but rather to PM them. So PM some admin on why the person was banned.
Indeed they do, except I'm not trying to publicly question the judgement of an admin or moderator. I'm not requesting a forum or thread for such for the purposes of public accountability, I'm well aware from the guidelines that such isn't in order. I just thought it might be good to have a way of saying "ok, this is what you don't want to be caught doing around AN," especially in cases that aren't clearly covered by the guidelines. OK, so maybe I need to say "pardon my inner newbie" and leave it at that.

You'll also note, of course, that I expressly didn't say "why was the user [username] banned?" I trust that the judgement was sound, obviously. Besides, public humiliation can sometimes work wonders (well, it did for one of my band directors!)

And of course, some admin or moderator will come around, see this thread, and then post some incredulous comment just to make me crap my pants for asking this idle question in the first place...

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-19, 22:02

We keep track of when we ban users and why in the super-ultra-secret moderator's forum. But you can usually figure out what happened unless we delete the person's offending post(s). The vast majority of banned users are permanently banned, for spamming. Only once in a while do we have to ban someone temporarily for acting out of line.

Checking the statistics (in the even more super-ultra-highly-exclusive-and-top-secret moderator control panel), there are 64 permanently banned users and 4 temporarily banned users. And actually, two of the four "temporarily" banned users have ban periods of a full year, so they're essentially perma-banned.

Like I said, the VAST majority of banned users are those who posted spam and were instantly given permanent bans without warning.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-19, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
We keep track of when we ban users and why in the super-ultra-secret moderator's forum. But you can usually figure out what happened unless we delete the person's offending post(s). The vast majority of banned users are permanently banned, for spamming. Only once in a while do we have to ban someone temporarily for acting out of line.

Checking the statistics (in the even more super-ultra-highly-exclusive-and-top-secret moderator control panel), there are 64 permanently banned users and 4 temporarily banned users. And actually, two of the four "temporarily" banned users have ban periods of a full year, so they're essentially perma-banned.

Like I said, the VAST majority of banned users are those who posted spam and were instantly given permanent bans without warning.
Ah, so maybe I just stumbled across the deleted-post variety. Well I guess that pretty much answers my question, if most people are banned for spamming... that's no fun. I was hoping there would be a couple extremely entertaining flame wars to go read!

So I figure this is gonna get "lox0red" shortly. Makes sense that said forum isn't public. I guess I tend to be evil and in favor of public humiliation... unless I'm the offender. :smokey:

Cool.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-19, 22:30

As for the deleted posts, we have a policy to never permanently delete the posts of banned or regular members. This is so that we can further keep good records about when and why we take administrative action against members. Any offending posts will be "soft deleted" from the forum, meaning they become invisible to everyone except the staff. Even to the staff, though, they are hidden with a "deleted" marker so not to be distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
I just thought it might be good to have a way of saying "ok, this is what you don't want to be caught doing around AN," especially in cases that aren't clearly covered by the guidelines.
I think we have left notes like this around a couple times, but it's very rarely needed. Really, anything worthy of a ban should already be covered by Common Sense*if not explicitly so in the guidelines. I'd be hard pressed to think of anything worthy of a ban that's not mentioned in the PGs or blatantly obviously bad.

In the even that a new offense does occur that's not mentioned in the guidelines, the posting guidelines page is updated appropriately. That too is exceedingly rare, though, and I cannot remember the last time I had to update them for this reason.

Quote:
So I figure this is gonna get "lox0red" shortly. Makes sense that said forum isn't public.
Nah, this thread is fine. It does a good job reiterating our policies in case someone else has the same questions as you.

In fact, here's a sneak peek into the ultra-private moderators' forum...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mod-forum.jpg (6.7 KB, 283 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-19, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
In fact, here's a sneak peek into the ultra-private moderators' forum...
Ah, nothing screams "transparency" like a scaled-down blurred-out image!

Well cool, it's been interesting hearing about what usually happens in the behind-the-scenes sort of stuff that us peons never get to see.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-20, 04:12

Quote:
Ah, nothing screams "transparency" like a scaled-down blurred-out image!
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-11-20, 06:49

Call me crazy for even bothering to look, but that first thread looks like it was started by murbot...

I have way to much time
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-20, 11:21

Considering there are only eight people who can post in the moderator's forum, it's pretty easy to determine who started each thread there.

murbot
alcimedes
alcimedes
Brad
Brad
alcimedes
Brad
Brad
alcimedes
Brad
murbot
Brad
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2005-11-20, 12:18

What the heck is "I-B-L" ??
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-20, 12:22

IBL is an acronym for "In Before the Lock" and this is how I feel about it.
Unch

2005-11-21, 13:04

Just out of interest, if someone's posts are "soft deleted", does that remove them from the post count? I ask because I noticed someone a couple of weeks back on the "currently online" list that had 0 posts, and I was wondering what they could of done to be banned without actually posting.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-21, 13:13

Yes, soft deleting decrements a user's post count.
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-11-23, 17:10

Sorry i couldn't resist
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-03, 11:40

kar needs proper motivation... and a boot to the head.

[Edit: and so it was asked, and so Murbot delivered the mighty boot to kar's head.]
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-03, 12:02

Cool thread ShadowOfGed.. Made interesting reading. I must admit I have a certain interest in why certain people have got banned... It's generally easy to figure out by reading the most recent posts they have made...

With regards to kar..

Shouldn't his original post be altered to remove his link.. Otherwise he / she has still achieved their aim... ????

EDIT : And Brad don't tease us with little images of forums.. That's just not fair man! I clicked on it about 4 times before I realised it wasn't going to link to a bigger image! duh!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-03, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs

[Edit: and so it was asked, and so Murbot delivered the mighty boot to kar's head.]
I know you had only good intentions about this, Moogs, but posting requests to get another member banned is a big no-no. This needs to be said so your request won't set any sort of precedent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
With regards to kar..

Shouldn't his original post be altered to remove his link.. Otherwise he / she has still achieved their aim...????
I'm pretty sure it was...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Batman

2005-12-03, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs

If a post is spam, I believe that clicking the button that looks like the image below would do the trick (for us who don't want to go Spam Alert 11!!!11!!! crazy)

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-03, 16:18

I got banned for a week or so when I turned on my Asshole Mode full blast in a "discussion" about so-called Intelligent Design.

I'll verbally abuse the next damned idiot the same way, and I'll probably get banned again, but I'm just bringing up the example of my own banishment (I think it was the only time, too). If you want to see what I said, it's easy to find -- there aren't many threads about ID and the pasta monster.
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-12-03, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I got banned for a week or so when I turned on my Asshole Mode full blast in a "discussion" about so-called Intelligent Design.

I'll verbally abuse the next damned idiot the same way, and I'll probably get banned again, but I'm just bringing up the example of my own banishment (I think it was the only time, too). If you want to see what I said, it's easy to find -- there aren't many threads about ID and the pasta monster.

Internaly designed indirect spamming