User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 213 of 221 First Previous 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-07, 23:43

The gift that keeps on giving...

Theater sausage groper, Lauren Boebert, allegedly punches her ex-husband in a restaurant. Incident is currently "under investigation".

No lie, this part caught my eye:

Quote:
"I didn't punch Jayson in the face and no one was arrested,"
Coming from Ms. "I wasn't vaping and nobody was groping my tits" (when it was all clearly caught on video), it kinda makes you think anything out of her mouth is likely a bit truth-challenged. I'm wondering if this woman has a female version of little man syndrome, where her midget, top-heavy stature causes her to act out in ways to assert her dominance and show the world she's no pushover?

Or she could just be regular, run-of-the-mill white trash most men of any quality would be embarrassed to take anywhere? I'm going with that, she seems the type. She should be glad Cops is off the air, as she was definitely gonna wind up on it at some point soon.

A little of this one goes a really long way. I bet she's exhausting to know/hang around with. Just reading news articles about her batty behavior makes me want some aspirin and a nap.

I figure maybe she's building her street cred amongst the Trump crowd who stains their sheets at the thought of a big-tittied brawler/gun toter, but, sadly, the GOP has already played their one "bespectacled brunette MILF running mate" card ages ago and it didn't go well. And Miss Alaska had nowhere near the crazy baggage this one does.

But I'm constantly surprised/shocked about what will fly and people will be okay with, so who knows?

I'm afraid all that's really in her future is just another weird-ass political footnote, like the bathroom stall foot-tapping closet case or that Chris Farleyesque former Toronto mayor. You can be an actor or music/pop star and be a complete unhinged weirdo (it's encouraged/celebrated, in fact). It's a tougher road in politics. In theory, this job actually means a bit more to most folks, and they're reluctant to put a known loon in a position of power/control. We're okay when they hang around the Billboard charts and arenas, sure. But not in our political halls and venues.

She seems trouble and a bit unbalanced. She would probably be a huge liability/headache for anyone opting to bring into the big time. Her current level allows her to cruise a bit below the radar, which is probably for the for all involved. She’d make Quayle, Cheney and Palin look like beloved, respected statesmen/women and the press woukd never give her a fair shake. They never do crazy, obnoxious figures with an “R” next to their name.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-01-08 at 00:10.
¡Damned!

2024-01-08, 14:22

Yeah, I have a feeling that Klannie Oakley's 15 minutes are about up. She's decided to not even run in the district she represents now, as there's a very good chance she'll get the boot from folks tired of her antics. Instead she's announced that she's running to represent a district that she doesn't even live in, only because the batshit-levels are higher in the new district and she feels like they'll be more receptive to.... her. I hope they'll see the carpetbagging for what it is and not give her the time of day, so she can go back to advertising on Backpage and Sugar Daddy websites. She'll probably be able to charge a bit more now, so there's that little win for her.

Anyways.

Alabama man strips naked, jumps into Bass Pro Shops aquarium and knocks himself unconscious.

TMZ (of course) has video if you're so inclined.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-01-08, 20:54

She has to get through what's going to be a very contentious primary. I'm not convinced she well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-08, 22:05

Depends how much people in Colorado want an unhinged junior high chick representing them. I discount/doubt nothing anymore, everything’s so goofy.

People don’t seem to get too spun up over the carpetbagging thing. Munching? Yes. Bagging? No. New York welcomed a senator who had no real ties there, right, when Illinois or Arkansas would’ve been the far more logical , expected choice. I may as well campaign for office in hippie-ass Vermont or New Hampshire, having never set foot in either state. And dare anyone to utter a word. “Oh, it matters now, again? Oh, bug off already…”.

There will always be a place for the Boeberts of the world, now more than ever. Her brand of low-rent, uninformed batshittery sells in post-combover America. All she has to do is put on a red cap, flash a bit of (purchased) cleavage and wear a thigh holster while dynamiting some cases of Bud Light and she’s a lock. I guess God/Jesus sent her to save America too, huh?

She’s simply too dumb to be of any threat or danger. Kept around for laughs and distraction. And public, date-night handjobs.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-01-08 at 22:19.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-01-09, 00:02

Look, it's only some of us in Colorado.

Her new district includes chunks of southern Denver, which while heavily GOP are not particularly Trump-y. Those areas are where all the money and votes are in that district which is why I'm skeptical she can win the primary.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-09, 11:31

I figure the entire population of any state isn't any one thing (except maybe California or Oregon, and those come from first-hand experience/encounters over the course of several years ). I'm sure Colorado is a fine state. John Denver wouldn't have sang about it like it did if it was a known, Alabama/Mississippi-level shithole, serving no real purpose, big picture.

I assume this loon is done and it just hasn't occurred to her yet. And all these little things are her plans/ideas to keep herself in the news cycle/public eye, thinking that's what people are eager to vote for...an immature, unbalanced pot-stirrer who knows absolutely nothing.

You gotta be a guy (Trump), and/or a Democrat (pick one) to pull that off at the national level.

All people see in this one is an unhinged brat who probably can't do long division. She's not as insufferable as that blonde twit down in Georgia, who can't pronounce words or call things the right name, but they're probably buddies in arms (and fake tits) and that's quite enough.

I can't be okay with this one, so I'm going to hammer her anytime she pops up in the news via her latest round of self-inflicted wounds. She'll be her own downfall, she seems to be the type. She'll snap one day and let loose with some outlandish stuff, in front of a huge crowd and aired live on CNN, and then we'll never hear of her again.

She's just goofy. If she were also still just a bartender, like that other one, it would almost be cute/funny...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-01-09 at 11:44.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-09, 12:50

For shits, half a giggle, and pure, morbid curiosity, I scrolled down a bit and found this from Jimmy Fallon after he defended Boebert smacking her ex:

Quote:
She Had a Lot of Champagne Celebrating January 6

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-10, 14:00

Apparently it's snowing all over hell and creation. I'm not going to link to the 834,000 news articles, but it dumped good here this morning. Anywhere else getting buried?

And, no, this isn't Michigan or the Sierra Nevada, so we didn't get eight feet of fresh powder.

But, we got 4-6 inches in about two hours. And now it's sunny and beautiful outside!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2024-01-10, 14:24

First snow-shoveling of the season this morning! No fluff or powder, just heavy, wet slop that'll freeze solid this weekend and turn the sidewalks into sharp-spiked slipperiness.

Lots of news about power outages and general unpleasantness all over – tornados and thunderstorms down south and a new 'bomb cyclone' to add more snow and wild weather through the eastern half of the US next week. Grab your duck boots and generators!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2024-01-10 at 14:43.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-10, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
First snow-shoveling of the season this morning!
Glad to see you're a shoveler. I think myself and the guy across the street are the only two people in our entire neighborhood that ever shovel their sidewalks.

Get to it early and the sun melts off the bits and pieces. Don't get to it and it turns into a 4 inch thick ice block for the next month!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-01-10, 15:37

We have had one snow day, Monday, but it didn’t last. Going to get a cold snap, but not expecting more than a dusting of snow. I’ll take that over last years 20 inches around this time.
¡Damned!

2024-01-10, 15:42

Shoveling is my pre-shower exercise this time of year. The front sidewalk, the walkway, the side walkway, the back deck, a path to the (detached) garage through the backyard, and finally clearing out the snow in front of the garage doors. It can be below 0° and I'm usually out there in just jeans and a t-shirt, because by the time I'm finished I'm dripping sweat.

I watch my mum's pup from mid-January to mid-April every year, so starting next week I also add backyard doggo paths and mazes to the snow shoveling duties. She's a small beast and has loads of fun getting chased through paths in the snow.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-10, 15:47

We're just getting rain, high winds and face-hurting cold here (but the cold never coincides with the moisture/rain, so we're not getting snow or anything). It's just damp, water-logged, overcast, dreary and depressing. January in Tennessee, basically...the sky won't snow and the sun won't shine, as Henley sings.

I'm totally okay with rain, snow, sleet, sunshine. Something happening. But when it's just overcast and the ground is wet/messy (and it's dark/dusky about 5:45pm), it's just a little bleak and messes with your mood a bit. I'm sure there's a podcast about it...and most certainly a stupid-ass prescription pill.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-10, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
and most certainly a stupid-ass prescription pill.
Does whiskey count?

'Cause that's what I use.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-10, 16:36

At least those side-effects make sense (but aren't as funny as the others).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-12, 08:38

Yesterday was our first really good sunny day in a while but it was getting dark by the time I got done working of course. No snow yet this year for us either. There is a chance later in the week, but I'm sure we won't get snow, just more rain.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-12, 09:25

We now how snow in our forecast again for Tuesday (40%). Let the idiocy commence.

People, once again, will act like they’ll be stuck/trapped inside their homes for weeks (vs. hours) and must buy 12 of everything at the store. Such waste.

The biggest snow we ever had here, March 1993 (11”), by the end of day 2 all the main arteries/highways we’re salted and plowed and people were out and about. By the end of day 3-4, it was like it never happened (sunny, 55-60 degrees, only random patches of snow still remaining in shaded parts of lawns, all the roads/parking lots were totally dry and clear and life was totally back to normal. If you don’t have enough stuff in your house, already, to munch on for 4-5 days, and the threat of snow is the only thing that impacts that, you’re an idiot already. I’ve always got chips and salsa, bread and peanut butter, popcorn, fruit, frozen pizzas, cat food for Jasper, etc. i never have to be one of those doofs at Food Lion loading up 1-2 carts to the brim for a “multi-week survival” scenario that never happens.

If there are 6-7 loaves of bread on the shelf and you grab and put all 6-7 in your cart because you truly think you’ll be trapped in your house until April from a 2-3” dusting (maybe), you’re an asshole who hasn’t figured out how things work. You don’t know/remember history or precedent and you’re just wasting money and food, and clogging up the checkout lanes needlessly. I wish the Red Cross or Weather Channel would come to Chattanooga and set up a free seminar/gathering at the convention center or mall and teach people how to act during snow forecasts. if this forecast holds. Every grocery store in town will be a complete zoo, stripped bare of mostly everything, due to all those non-existent times residents were snowed in, trapped in their homes for two weeks (vs. two hours, or, worst case, two days).

We do this every time. Even when the local weather jockeys clearly say “we expect only a slight dusting in the higher elevations, and no real accumulations in the valley and Chattanooga prope” people still lose all their mind and get in “OMG we have a blizzard coming…5-6 feet, with 15 foot drifts. It’ll be on the ground for MONTHS!!!” mode.

I may take Monday to walk through Food Lion and just randomly smack people acting like “the end is hear” clownery. “Lady, what are you doing?! Why do you have 11 gallons of milk in your cart for a 40% chance of maybe 1-2”?! Do you truly think you need to hunker down in survival mode for a month or more? Are you telling your grandkids and neighbors “bye” in case this is it?”

Yes, be prepared. Don’t be an alarmist, overdoing-it idiot. There’s a difference. I’m prepared, as always. I’ve got a reasonably stocked kitchen for a single guy in a smallish house. If, by some freak event, I’m truly trapped at home all next week, for 4-5 days, I’m not gonna starve. And I don’t need to make an emergency run to “stock you” because, unlike some people, I’ve got more than one can of soup and a bag of Cheetos in my kitchen.

Try it sometime, hammerheads.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-01-12 at 09:42.
¡Damned!

2024-01-12, 09:40

Sounds like a legit storm is headed to us up here in the frigid wonderland – I even got an email last night from my electricity provider about how prepared they are (!):

"Over 400 Consumers Energy and contractor crews from as far away as Colorado, Alabama, and New York are preparing for another strong storm system expected to sweep across the state this weekend. This next storm is expected to bring widespread hazardous snow and strong winds across the Lower Peninsula, from noon Friday through the end of the day Saturday. The 400 crews include help from nine states in total and contractors who have stayed on since the last storm to prepare for the weekend."

Apple's Weather forecast:

"Heavy snow and high winds expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 13 inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph. Travel could be very difficult and perhaps impossible by Friday night. Widespread blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches and cause power outages."

So, yeah. Boots weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Yes, be prepared. Don’t be an alarmist, overdoing-it idiot. There’s a difference. I’m prepared, as always. I’ve got a reasonably stocked kitchen for a single guy in a smallish house. If, by some freak event, I’m truly trapped at home all next week, for 4-5 days, I’m not gonna starve.
Exactly. I may run out at noon to pick up some fresh tortilla chips and a crappy chain pizza that I can eat cold, but there's always something in the cupboards or the basement storage to snack on.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2024-01-12 at 09:54.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-12, 09:52

Tuesday is slated for rain in our area. It is going to be cold enough to snow... until the front actually comes in it looks like.

The storm a few nights ago did bring massive rain and there was a lot of local flooding, but that is minimal actual impact up here in the foothills. Basements did flood on some though. My property was fine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-12, 10:43

We got no snow, other than some light flakes. Now we are just settling in with 3-4°F temperatures for a few days, but will be below freezing for at least 5-6 days. Nothing too crazy, happens at least once or twice every winter. No shoving this time though. Strong NW winds, but no damage of note.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-12, 11:23

Quote:
Exactly. I may run out at noon to pick up some fresh tortilla chips and a crappy chain pizza that I can eat cold, but there's always something in the cupboards or the basement storage to snack on.
Yep. It's at these times I'm reminded/realize some people probably just go to the store every day, buying just enough for the next 18-24 hours? Until a snow event is forecast, then they go nuts, overdo it and go buy enough for 78 days.

I'm a chips and salsa fiend, so that's about the only thing I could imagine picking up over the weekend (if the forecast holds or gets more solid/sure), just so I've got my favorite snack around. No multiple loaves of bread or jugs of milk, though. I'm not eating milk sandwiches or whatever the hell these people are doing with so much of those two items. The bad part, of course, will be standing in the checkout line with my one bag of Tostitos, behind 8-9 people with about 300 items each, all doing the usual, annoying grocery store shtick: chit-chatting/distracting the cashier, waiting until the very last minute to go hunt for their checkbook in a purse as big as a bean bag, having no working pen for said checkbook, trying to use expired coupons and getting pissy when they realize they can't, debating/bitching about the price of every third item scanned, etc. I'll stand there for 40 minutes, just trying to get a bag of chips. Better off zipping by my favorite nearby Mexican/taco restaurant and just grabbing a bag of their in-house chips/salsa to go. Tastes better (and is cheaper) anyway.

I take my chips and salsa-related activity seriously!

The joke around here is that the local forecasters are somehow in cahoots with the local supermarkets, and they get a cut/kickback of all the hysterical overbuying if they, the forecasters, really amp up the drama, fear and "ooh, it's gonna be a big one, Chattanooga! I'm picturing plenty of shattered records!" theatrics. Because they all just get all over themselves at these times. One local guy, who shares my first name, is STILL making hay over the big 1993 snowfall he predicted. 1-2 times a year, you'll see a commercial on his channel about "when it mattered, the Eyewitness 3 Weather team was there for you, led by..." and showing 30-year-old footage of a snow-covered Chattanooga. Kinda like the 50-something guy, still reliving his high school football glory days. "Yes, you threw that game-winning pass in October 1986. How could we forget, you won't let us, Al Bundy. Other things have happened since, you know?"

This time of year is always entertaining/maddening. We don't get awful weather in December (I've never had a white Christmas). But January-March is our "if it's gonna happen, this is when it will" period, so the local weather jockeys, the supermarkets and people in general all get a little spun up and silly-acting over the prospect of some white stuff falling from the sky. Schools will shut down over 5-6 flakes (which I greatly appreciated as a kid/teen), etc. I'd base my test-studying or homework habits/activities on the forecast, ignoring/neglecting both if chances looked good for no school tomorrow. That certainly bit me in the butt a few times! "Paul, how did you score -68 on this test?" Well, I actually thought I wasn't gonna be here today. I rolled the dice and lost. I was always an honest kid/teen. The truth was funnier, and better, than any story/excuse I could make up. "I thought I'd be making snow forts all day today, sock-skating on the frozen creek/pond in the woods next to my house, drinking Kool-Aid nonstop and watching TV, so I didn't study."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-01-12 at 11:48.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-12, 11:43

Toronto is bracing for a big storm starting in a few hours. Fun weekend ahead.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Tuesday is slated for rain in our area. It is going to be cold enough to snow... until the front actually comes in it looks like.

The storm a few nights ago did bring massive rain and there was a lot of local flooding, but that is minimal actual impact up here in the foothills. Basements did flood on some though. My property was fine.
We got that the other night (Monday, I think?). It rained, and rained HARD, from about 7pm until 5-6am the next morning. Woke up and it was still coming down in buckets. It's currently raining again, but temps are too high for anything exciting/cute.

Yeah, we got drowned the other night. The heaviest, steadiest rain I've seen in a long time. I'd wake up and look out at the street light from my bedroom window and could see sheets of water coming down, illuminated by the orange-ish light. And there's a bit metal shed thing outside my window and when good, heavy rain hits it, it's perfect ZZZZZZ fuel. I sleep like a log on rainy nights, because of that sound. I love that I can hear it through closed windows.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-12, 12:02

Quote:
I may run out at noon to pick up some fresh tortilla chips and a crappy chain pizza that I can eat cold, but there's always something in the cupboards or the basement storage to snack on.
Thank you!

People, this time of year please have some grub on hand so you don't have to be part of the panic!

P.S. 709 has extra food, so if you guys get hungry, head to his place!

P.P.S. It's snowing here (again) with another three inches this morning and a big whopper due in tomorrow. Today is the second day in a row where I had to double back and re-shovel, as the snow was accumulating faster than I could shovel. Then, it snowed more after I left, and since we live across from a school the kiddos will have packed the new stuff into an ice rink.

I think I'll leave early this afternoon so I can get the walks ready for tomorrow's trouble.

"No snow!" they say. "Global warming!" they say!

PLOOF!!

"Here's your fucking snow, assholes!"

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-01-12 at 13:01.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-12, 14:24

I think Mrs T and I fall under "casual preppers" category. We shop monthly for long storing goods but weekly for perishables. We don't grocery shop for the meal except for very rare and specific occasions. We "feel" like eating what is in the pantry. So when horrible weather is coming we see how many gallons of milk we have on hand and loaves of bread. If low we get to the store a minimum of three days before. If we don't have it, then we don't feel like eating it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-12, 15:42

There you go.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-12, 18:26

Apple is doomed.

Quote:
"From Arthi Nachiappan's "Why is Apple facing its longest slump in 20 years?" posted Friday by Sky News:

The tech giant, once a darling of Wall Street, is pressed from all sides, with its stock downgraded, competitors snapping at its heels, and tough regulations leading to large compensation payments.

My take: That pretty much wraps it up. Apple is doomed."
Finally!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-12, 20:36

They’ve been doomed forever. Maybe one day it’ll take.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-13, 00:30

Clearly the sales ban on the high end Apple watch since the end of December is killing Apple. I must have deeply misunderstood the sales figures. They are DOOOMMMED!!!!! I cashed out my stocks and invested in X, clearly that was the right move.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-13, 09:19

And just like that, our weather has changed. All yesterday, 40% snow was forecast for Tuesday. Fine, whatever. I checked my app around 19:39pm last night and Tuesday was shown sunny and a 70% of snow Friday. Pushed back three days, but with a higher chance. Okay, sure.

Woke up this morning, checked out of curiosity, and now there a 70% for Monday, day after tomorrow, and we’re under a winter storm watch now, through Tuesday, which will absolutely send everyone to the stores by Tge gazillions. This watch is blatantly calling for 2-5” of snow, which, for here, may as well be 11-14 feet.

We may not survive!

I guess I’m going to make my chip and salsa right n today, shouldn’t take more than 2-3 hours. (5 minutes to get what I need, 115 minutes of waiting in line). I shouldn’t worry too much. Considering how it changed yesterday, by this afternoon the watch could be called off and no chance of snow any day this coming week. Wouldn’t surprise me about! I need to put the local weather on today. They’re usually a bit for accurate than the iOS Weather app.

Which, oddly, seems to have gotten MORE flaky/unreliable since Apple bought Dark Sky and folded all that stuff into their app. All I know is Dark Sky used to tell me, to the minute, when I’d be doused with rain. Now, for some reason, the Apple weather app can’t reliably tell me what the day will be like 2-3 hours from now. It’s consistently wrong re: rain, sunshine. Does Apple buy these other apps/platforms just to fold them into their stuff and make them suck? BecauE that’s exactly what’s happened re: Weather.