User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 214 of 221 First Previous 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-14, 21:32

We're now under a Winter Weather Warning (not watch) and it's 80% heavy snow coming in at any time (supposed to start around 10pm and go all night, all morning and all tomorrow, through Tuesday morning. Significant accumulation, which, for around here doesn't take/mean much. 3-4" will shut the city down for a few days, for sure. Good news it, Wednesday is pure sunshine and temps well above freezing, so whatever happens tonight/tomorrow will all mostly be gone my sunset Wednesday, which is exactly what I talked about upthread. Even a "heavy snow" around here, it's usually all melted/gone away within 48 hours, so if you just have some frozen pizza, bread, a jar of peanut butter, some popcorn and/or chips and salsa, you're gonna do fine. You ain't gonna be "snowed in" for 19 days or something crazy. Not here. Ever. Maybe two days? The radar is showing this stuff already hitting western Tennessee (Memphis, etc.) and headed straight this way, arriving in just a bit. I hope I wake up to a big blanket of white. I'll put my rubber boots on and go stomping around in it for. The big thing is the bottom is gonna fall out of our temps in the coming days, getting super cold overnight and everything will just free. Ice (black and otherwise) will be the story this week, not the snowfall. I'd hate to be a cop. All they're gonna be dealing with this week are fender-benders and parking lot wrecks (people going to fast, not stopping in time due to sliding on ice and hitting other vehicles). Ugh. It'll be a zoo, for sure. People here driving stupid enough in the rain. You can't imagine what snow/ice due to them!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-14, 21:46

Nobody has ANY idea how freaked out these temporary snow-ins make me!

Just that single day when I can't go to a restaurant is terrifying.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-14, 22:09

This seems....somewhat ill-advised.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-15, 04:49

They take that stuff a little far sometimes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-01-15, 08:57

Hmmm, yeah. I mean even the armed forces learned not to take people too low in the food chain due to needing far too much supervision.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-15, 09:40

I hope it blows up, spectacularly, ij their face. They’re blatantly saying they’re seeking intellectual and psychological disabilities, I can’t think of a better time.

It might take a couple of awful disasters for some genius in the FAA to stand up and point out that this may not be the best thing, and he/she will be lauded as a genius visionary (if they’re not being canceled into oblivion for discrimination, anti-DEI sentiments and any number of -isms and -phobias being flung their way.

You can’t win with this stuff/these people.

I bet none of them get near Air Force One in any way, shape or form. Can’t have its door blowing out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-01-15 at 09:55.
¡Damned!

2024-01-15, 09:43

We didn't get the high winds as predicted but got all of the expected snow and then some – just looking at the accumulation on the outdoor furniture I'd say 16in/40cm. Woke up to get the little beast out to poop and it was a scrotum-tightening 3°F/-16°C outside! Gonna be a cold week.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-15, 09:59

Yikes. All the overnight snow predictions failed spectacularly, as usual. However, in the past 10 minutes the sky has opened up and it’s really starting to come down. It’s been so cold lately, and continue to be, everything that hits is kinda sticking/building. If this keeps up like the hourly forecast shows, we’ll be good and covered by afternoon. If you wait long enough, the forecasters are right eventually. Might be 12-14 hours off, in either direction, but hey!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-15, 11:46

We got another 8" on Saturday. So, this past week we got 12-15". Now, it's 5° outside and anyone that didn't shovel has 6-10" of ice over all their stuff!

Funny: A few years ago we got 16" of snow in one week in December and the locals* started calling it "SnowMageddon". Last week we got almost as much snow, it's been a lot colder, and we've had far more accidents. Yet, no fancy wordspeak to describe the "horror" and "world-ending" catastrophe represented in a few inches of snow.

* "Locals" defined as people from warm states that have lived in Idaho for five years, or snowflake (pun intended) kids with no life experience. Those of us that have actually been here 40+ years know better.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-15, 12:08

We are now expecting snow and/or freezing rain tomorrow evening. No predictions on amounts yet though. Then rain and snow Wednesday, followed by snow Thursday, then just rain. Will any of it pan out, who knows, but it’s going to be a messy week for sure. Only -8°C/17°F, so it’s warming up.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-15, 13:32

Nothing happened here overnight, despite all the hourly activity being 80-100%. It all started around 10am today, with varying levels of heaviness. Right now it's nothing, but there's no on car roofs, hoods, house roofs and certain parts of yards. I really thought it would be more. It's a real ugly, wet, heavy, icy snow. It's not the pretty, fluffy Hallmark Channel Christmas movie type of snow. In fact, I went downstairs to get something from my car, and slipped in the driveway and took a full, ass/hip-busting fall. I don't recover from those at 54, the way I'd bounce up at 24, laughing. So, yeah...it's just gross out there. No ground covering snow, just on manmade surfaces. And is wet and icy and I imagine the cops and insurance agents will be up to their chin in reports/claims tonight, overnight, tomorrow morning, etc.

All the moisture/wetness on the ground, once it gets dark and our temps dip down to the teens overnight, will just be a huge ice-skating rink tomorrow morning. That'll be the real story in this event, the 800 million fender benders all over town tomorrow. I'm keeping my butt h ome. Still have power/Internet, so it can do whatever it wants. I ain't getting out any it. Eating some rice that I've poured a bit of veggie stew into. REALLY GOOD. Just wish I had some cornbread (but not enough to get out and go get some).

Forecast still shows sunshine and mid/upper 30's for Wednesday, so all this is gonna be gone in a day or two. I thought it had been cold enough for their to be grass/yard accumulation, but it's all still green/visible outside.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-01-15, 15:31

It's currently 0F here, -10 with the wind. We got down to -20 overnight.

Decent amount of snow falling but it's been our usually light and fluffy kinda stuff. We don't get the nasty wet snows till spring.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-15, 16:01

As our world descends into chaos, it's just so great we have people focused on life's most important issues.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-15, 16:04

Wow, that blew me away. Anytime I think, now they’ve done everything with Pizzia, something else comes along.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-16, 10:28

Pizza is kinda getting out of hand/ridiculous. it’s a round thing with some pepperoni and cheese on it and crusts of various styles/thicknesses it. That’s basically it. It doesn’t need to be “reinvented” or endlessly screwed with. Taco Bell already has that gig locked up (how many ways can you rename/repackage a taco?!? Knock it off already. Your menu is beyond ridiculous.

Instead of all these gimmicks and stuff, wouldn’t it be cooler if Domino’s (and all the others) just focused on making a GOOD pizza? Maybe master that first, then add all the pyrotechnics, trapeze bars and set pieces. You can tell when stuff is being made for a vapid, no-attention-span culture. “I don’t care how it tastes, just make it blink and flash, shoot smoke and lasers and, somehow, interact with my iPhone! I need my pizza to send me a selfie and some exclusive TikTok content!”

Of course you do.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-16, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Pizza is kinda getting out of hand/ridiculous. it’s a round thing with some pepperoni and cheese on it and crusts of various styles/thicknesses it. That’s basically it. It doesn’t need to be “reinvented” or endlessly screwed with.
The same could be said for any product. Why redesign a vehicle every 5 years for hundreds of millions of dollars? Why redesign a functional computer/notebook case? Why put a new label on the milk carton or cereal box. Why, why, why? Because it works to boost sales, that's why.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-16, 15:04

That’s in their end. Has no impact on me. In fact, if/when I’m feeling excessively yanked, marketed to or Guinea pigged, nothing makes me change products/service or allegiances quicker.

As for the other stuff, technology (processors, graphics, displays, etc.) are always getting improved. No, I wouldn’t want an iBook from 2004 as my daily driver Mac, running Tiger, a self-installed Airport Card and no Retina Display. Things have gotten so much gooder. But do we see that sort of thing in the pepperoni and cheese world? I don’t believe so. A pizza is a pizza, a MacBook is supposed to change, improve as the years roll on. Yeah, it’s what you say. Just marketing. Why does Taco Bell have a menu of trendy, unpronounceable shit that, when you strip it all away, is just a slight variation on a taco? To get longer lines at the drive thru, of course. That’s what I’m muttering to myself if I’m ever trapped in a long, multi-car line that just isn’t moving and everyone taking forever to order at TB; “Ffs, people. It’s a taco or a burrito. That’s all they do here. It doesn’t require this much time to research/figure out…”. People will sit at the board/intercom and act like they’re catering a wedding with their order-placing (extra this, light that, hold this, combine this with that, ordering stuff not even ON the menu, etc. (which should be a capital offense. My former mother-in-law pulls that at every restaurant she goes to, fast food or sit-down. She can’t see the rage/exasperation in the employee’s faces, but I sure can!

Nope. It’s a taco or a burrito. Just say the words! Those words, and then scoot up.

“I should already be halfway home, sipping on my beverage at red lights.”

I fully cop to not bring the most patient guy who’s ever lived, if others will cop to bring a slow-poke, production/hassle-causing PITA. Fair exchange!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-16, 15:26

I don't know, a volcano of cheese in the middle of my pizza sounds ... gross.

I guess if it gets attention it will do the job. Having worked for Little Caesars in my teens I can say that making that style must suck.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-16, 15:28

Oh, on the weather note, our temps are steadily dropping with the overnight low expected to get down to a low of 17°F! That is cold for us! Saturday is supposed to get down there too. No snow, but we did get some rain this morning.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-16, 16:55

Yeah, our little overhyped, nothing snow even has passed. It's current sunny, but COLD and ice/snow still on some manmade surfaces. Heading out in a bit for my weekly Taco Tuesday outing with friends, but I've seen cars go up and down the road in front of my house all day, which is a fairly major artery, and all the roads over to the taco place are major ones as well, so I think it'll be a safe outing. Even if it wasn't, I'm starving and some guac has my name on it.

The big thing now, for the next few days, is bone-aching, face-hurting cold. As in single digits, kinda rare for here. We'll probably all just die to death any day now. Hurts to go outside!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-16, 17:14

Quote:
We'll probably all just die to death any day now. Hurts to go outside!
Americans have reached the point where we die to death if our instachatsnaptwatface goes down for more than 30 seconds.

No way in *cough* hell we're gonna make it through this "winter" stuff that has never happened before in the history of man no way!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-16, 18:49

Cheddar and processed cheese dipping sauces have no place near a pizza. WTF?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-16, 20:08

Quote:
That’s in their end. Has no impact on me.
When I was talking about computers I referring the the visual part, not internals. That's why I used the visual parts of items, like vehicle exteriors, cereal boxes, mike cartons etc. None of it really matters if it changes, it has no impact on the product, other than visually. That's the point, to get a visual impact, that's what boosts sales, not making it taste better, or anything else. They don't care if it impacts you.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-16, 21:34

They should. I’m a loyal buying kinda guy. Pizza is easy. Doesn’t need volcanos and stuff. Domino’s is like Taco Vell in that it’s always something new and nutty/gimmicky, all the time. And then gone in 2-3 months.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-17, 08:47

Well it got cold here for SC. We got down to 11.4°F here right before the sun started coming up. We are at 15.2°F right now. My heat pump is running overtime.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-17, 12:25

The snow hit late last night, so far 6 1/2 inches. Hovering just below freezing today.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-17, 12:29

Another 2" for us this morning, with more coming between two and seven.

It's a "scoop twice" day!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-17, 14:49

We are entirely lost!

Oklahoma bill will have your kids removed by animal control if they don't act like humans.

I'm not sure which part of this I find more funny. That people are raising their children to "express" themselves by acting like animals (not "play" acting like we all did as kids, but as legitimate "animals") or that the bill requires the school to call animal protective services to come collect the kids if they don't straighten up!

This is just funny on all the, um, "normal" levels!

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-01-17 at 15:22.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-17, 16:45

I guess this is like the law to prevent you from throwing a moose out of a plane. If someone hadn't done it, we wouldn't need a law for it.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-17, 16:51

Just hit 11" around noon. Still coming.

As for having pest control removing kids, that's a little odd. Shouldn't they remove the parents first.