User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook dying/dead?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook dying/dead?
CitizenTony

2010-02-28, 14:42

I was using my MacBook earlier when the entire thing froze. I got the beachball, and had to hard restart it by holding down the power button. When it came back on, the HDD was clicking a bit and it went to the flashing folder with a question mark in it. I tried inserting the install disc, but holding down "c" doesn't make it boot. For about ten minutes, nothing would work. Just a light grey screen. I tried resetting the pram, and that's the first thing that made me thing the keyboard even worked anymore.

I pulled the RAM and HDD and put them back in to re-seat them.

After a while I tried just leaving it on and seeing what would happen. Eventually, it booted into the install disc, but I can't move the mouse pointer or press return to pass the initial language screen.

Is the thing dead?

It's an early 2009 white model.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-02-28, 14:59

Sounds like the logic board might have fried itself. If it's still under warranty, Genius Bar ASAP.
CitizenTony

2010-02-28, 15:21

Out of warranty by 28 days. But I'm leaving for the Genius Bar right now to see what they say.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-02-28, 15:45

Best of luck with it!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-02-28, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenTony View Post
Out of warranty by 28 days. But I'm leaving for the Genius Bar right now to see what they say.
That's royally shitty luck. Did you use a credit card to purchase it? Many will extend the warranty another year.
CitizenTony

2010-02-28, 16:57

Just back from the Genius Bar. They plugged it into their network and after a few minutes it booted into their network just fine. Mouse, keyboard, and everything else worked. He was able to eject my install disc.

He then discovered that my HDD showed up, but not the partition. He thinks that the HDD so completely killed itself that it wouldn't let the computer do anything else.

So I'm back home, and have replaced the HDD with the tiny one that it came with, and now it boots into the install disc and everything is working just as it should.

I've never heard of a HDD doing this, it can't be common, can it? It's WD so I'm going to check on its warranty and see what I can do there. Though I am going to lose some data if I can't recover any of it. I'm going to Fry's to get a USB plug-in kit for it a little later.

I'm so relieved that I don't have to replace the computer or logic board, but a little upset that I didn't have a better backup solution. Time to get on that.
CitizenTony

2010-02-28, 22:51

I bought an external cradle for the old drive, but it won't mount. It tries to spin up, but you can hear something clicking about inside of it.

It's frustrating since the computer never leaves my desk, and certainly didn't today.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-02-28, 23:57

Clicking = Dead Hard Drive 90% of the time, and I've never had a drive fail that didn't click during its death pangs. Hard drives fail all the time, with all those moving parts, it is bound to happen at some point, whether they are subject to shock or not. Heck, I had a hard drive fail that wasn't even a week old, yet I have hard drives that are 13 years old that still work like the day I got them.