Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Mac Mini teething problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Mini teething problems
ericarthur

2007-01-14, 10:28

Hi,

I bought a Mac Mini from ebay and swapped out the 1.5Ghz Core Solo for a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo. Everything turns on and as far as I can tell, OSX works fine so there have been no adverse side effects of this. However I have a couple of little things that need ironing out (and may or may not be as a result of my operation.)

1, The DVI output doesn't seem to work, though the VGA does. I bought a Dell 2007WFP monitor and when the DVI connection is plugged in, the screen receives no signal and does nothing, I've tried the screen and cable with my powerbook and they work fine, recognising the screen which brings me to...

2. The mini will not output at 1680x1050 resolution. At the moment I'm stuck using 1400x1050, which leaves a slightly odd look to everything. How can I achieve the resolution that I desire, or at least one with the same ratio of height and width? Will getting the DVI working help this?

3. Again, possibly related is that I could not get the DVI-video connector that came with the Mini to work properly on a TV. All I got was a fuzzy picture that was unusable.

4. I tried transferring the settings from another Mac using the Migration Assistant and firewire. The other Mac loaded into FW mode but did not seem to be seen by the mini. The FW port is next to the DVI port, which may suggest a physical problem, potentially caused by the upgrade.

If anyone can help with any of these, please reply as I'm stuck.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-01-14, 13:56

Zap the PRAM several times in a row if you haven't done so already.

Did you receive the factory Restore discs with the mini?

If so, you should follow the instructions on Disc 1 to boot to the Hardware Test and run that.
ericarthur

2007-02-24, 08:35

I tried the PRAM trick and no use and have also done the hardware test and no use. Now, the machine doesn't even properly turn off when you shut down, instead stalling in the empty screen mode without powering down.

Any ideas anyone?
DEADMARSH

2007-02-24, 21:22

I don't know jack about macs yet, but I'd be willing to bet you that the resolution you're trying to push out can't be displayed by your monitor.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-02-24, 21:30

If you don't have any important files on your computer yet, you can reinstall the OS. I don't know why the DVI doesn't work and the VGA does. I run 1440x1050 on one screen of my computer so strange resolutions should work.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-24, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADMARSH View Post
I don't know jack about macs yet, but I'd be willing to bet you that the resolution you're trying to push out can't be displayed by your monitor.
You'd lose.
DEADMARSH

2007-02-24, 22:25

Well, we can't win 'em all.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-24, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADMARSH View Post
Well, we can't win 'em all.

At least you tried.