User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I Am Rich
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-08-08, 17:38

You know that iPhone app that was recently pulled from the App Store? It did nothing, just had a picture of a red jewel, but the app cost $999. It was meant to make the author rich, not the buyer. Kind of a clever scam but not really since it was so easy to see through.

And yet, 8 people bought it, giving the author over $5500 after Apple's cut. This article about it cracked me up.

http://www.iphonesavior.com/2008/08/...ich-buyer.html
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-08-08, 18:35

This is too onion-esque... I'm gonna call it fake...

Though, it's certainly better than the junk Onion churns out nowadays.
¡Damned!

2008-08-08, 18:48

Not fake at all. I read about it earlier this week and it was indeed in the iTunes Store. Comments ranged from "stupid" to "genius"...I for one thought it was hilarious.

(The aboved linked article is a bit Onionesque, but the premise is true).

[edit]: Linky.

So it goes.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-08-08, 18:50

And as usual, I make fool of myself.

As for those 8 people? They're special, I'll give them that.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-08, 19:54

Yeah, I gotta go with Banana and say that the iphonesavior.com article is a spoof. Debbie Norom? Whose last name backwards just happens to spell "moron"?

Heck, even the site's subheading reads: "The Cult of iPhone News and Satire"

The site features other great "news" articles such as:

Riiiiiight.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-08, 22:37

No way that's real. Apple would require a description of what it does, etc and almost surely would test it out themselves before posting it otherwise someone could just upload and sell ifonPr()n or some other gadget that would give Apple a bad rep. Didn't happen.

Meantime, I know Steve has been doing this retarded wegan thing for a while but when did he get so thin that the average 12 year old could break him in half? Man up, Steve! Stop eating cabbage and lettuce for dinner every night. Have a taco or 12 for chrissakes! My left arm weighs more than you and I'm thin for my height.

If Steve tried to do the Summer of 100 push-ups, I'm pretty sure he would collapse in a bony heap on the floor and die his first attempt.

...into the light of a dark black night.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-08-08, 22:48

The story and the app is completely real and in fact eight idiots did buy it. TUAW covered the story earlier today and linked to an LA Times article where they interviewed the creator. The number eight comes from the creator himself and, as also linked in the article, Gruber doesn't exactly believe him.

Weather it sold anything or not, I AM RICH made it into the app store with a ridiculous price of $999.99 and it took Apple a few days to notice. Who knows why.

TUAW Link | LA Times Link

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-08, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
The story and the app is completely real and in fact eight idiots did buy it.
Yes, the general story is real and all over the place. It's the iPhoneSavior.com article that seems to spoof the news, though.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-08-08, 23:07

Apparently there were 8 buyers of this app. Apple made a cool $2400 off of stupid idiots buying it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-08-08, 23:16

I think it's awesome. Some dumbasses thought clicking "buy now" was laced with some joke. They got served. The dev should keep the money he gets, but he won't. I'm glad it's gone because it highlights Apple's lack of Q&A for the app store, but I have no pity for the morons who bought it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-08-09, 06:08

Why won't the dev keep the money he got?

People bought the app and he detailed that it did nothing but show the red diamond.

It's their dumb fault for buying it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-08-09, 21:38

This has "chargeback" written all over it, but I'm curious how the credit card companies would treat it.
feidhlim1986

2008-08-10, 11:32

I'm just pissed i didnt think of it fair play to the dev of the App and shame on those who bought it. To be fair their probably filty rich anywho if they were willing to spend $999 on any piece of software
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-08-10, 11:40

I just thought of a new app called "I'm not that rich but hey..." priced 100$. The icon needs to be determined.