User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

When Macs get "Intel Inside," do you think they'll look the same?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When Macs get "Intel Inside," do you think they'll look the same?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-23, 15:15

Next year, when we start seeing Macs with Intel processors, do you think those Macs will change cosmetically? Obviously, the Mactel notebooks will be redesigned - the iBook and Powerbook platforms are aging anyway, and rumors about the redesigned iBook are already floating around - but what about the iMac? The Mac mini? The eMac (should it survive the transition)?

When we see the Intel iMac, do you think it will resemble the current one? Will the Mac mini grow? Will the Power Mac shrink?

I think that all of Apple's products will be change cosmetically - I'm just not sure whether that "change" is a minor alteration or a full-blown makeover.

The biggest question in my mind is the iMac. Part of me thinks that the current iMac design won't change a ton, and wouldn't have changed a ton no matter what the processor - the current design is the iMac in its purest form, and a logical progression of the original iMac (unlike the iMac G4 was). That part of me thinks that any Intel iMac redesign wouldn't bring much of a cosmetic change - a smaller chin, front-facing speakers, the like.

However, the other part of me thinks that that Apple wants the iMac to change dramatically with each "generation," because it's their flagship computer. They want it to look all-new with each processor. Could we be in for another full-blown redesign of the iMac? I don't think we'll ever see an iMac as far-fetched (and lovable) as the iMac G4, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple wanted their fourth iMac to look completely different again.

I guess it depends on how big of a deal you think Apple is going to make the Intel transition. If they want to make it as ludicrously transparent to the user as possible, all their models will look as unchanged as possible. I don't think Apple's going to go out of their way to advertise the Intel transition, but I hope they treat it like the new processor it is, aesthetics-wise. I hope they treat it like a "G6" and redesign their computers for it. If they act like they're trying to hide the fact that their computers use Intel, it seems like a step back for Apple. If they treat it as they would any other new generation of processors, it'll seem like a step forward. I'm not saying they have to hype the transition to the x86 platform to users who don't know what that is and don't care, but if they treat it like "The All-New iMac" with a new processor, people will see it as an improvement.

I'm rambling, and I apologize. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Robo : 2005-06-23 at 15:18.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-23, 15:17

If the developer kits are any sign, there'll definitely be a case change with the towers. The new Intel motherboard Apple is using is much smaller than the regular G5's mobo and there's a lot of empty space in there.

Of course, one should keep in mind that the internals of the current dev units may be nothing like what is eventually shipped.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-23, 15:26

Yeah...I guess I meant more the iMac. Would they try and make it look the same, to make the transition transparent, or would they redesign it, to make the transition look like the future?

Haha...I just summed up my long rant right there. Sorry for rambling...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-23, 15:59

That's an interesting question/thread...I've kinda been wondering about this for a few weeks (since the WWDC announcement).

I do indeed think all of Apple's hardware is in for a redesign in the coming 1-2 years. Some minor, but some quite major.

In the case of the iBook, it's simply time. But the other stuff, once fully "Intelicized" probably will take on a new, updated (or complete different) look...probably for purposes of marketing and "message-sending" then anything.

The current iMac design is quite simple and honed down to the essentials. It has grown on me (coming off the wild articulating chrome arm design of the iMac G4), but I don't know where they could take it. Perhaps some minor tweaks and adjustments?

I think by this time in 2007, we won't have a single product in Apple's line-up that looks the way it does today.
mattyqp

2005-06-23, 16:12

I've been thinking about this also. Intel wants Apple to pull out all the stops and create the new hardware that will ignite the PC market consumers into a "Beatles on Ed Sullivan" buying frenzy.

Will Apple do this? I'm convinced they will, and I'm convinced that the Apple design team is creating brand new things we didn't even know we needed.

-M
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-23, 19:15

Another interesting question, mattyqp. It just seems that Apple has been getting more competitive lately, price-wise, and this Intel move seems to be a culmination of that. Maybe, since Apple is now using the same platform as Windows, they'll have more motivation to be competitive. Look at the rumored new iBooks - 14" and 15" widescreen displays. They're not pulling any 12" and 14" stuff anymore (although I'm expecting a 12" "iBook mini") - Apple doesn't seem to be acting like they're in their own little world anymore. They know that a lot of people are watching this Intel transition, and I dare say I think that Macs will be a lot better come 2007 - not only because of any new processors, but because Apple is becoming more competitive.

One thing is for sure - the next few years will be quite possibly the most exciting time to be an Apple fan yet. That's a cool thought.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-23, 19:38

I truly think so. I really do.

We're already a bazillion years ahead on the OS and software front. We mop the floor in "idiot-proof, ease-of-use". We CERTAINLY trump Windows on issues of security, viruses and whatnot. On a pure "looks purty" level, Apple has no competition.

So imagine when performance goes up and that stupid-ass MHz myth - as silly and off as it may be - gets closed in on. Imagine Macs being a tad more reasonably priced and shedding that damaging "boutique computer" image just a bit (not COMPLETELY...just a little ). Imagine if Apple grows a pair in the next 12-24 months and starts pushing the rest of its product line 1/3 as forcefully as they do the iPod. Imagine more kick-ass software on the way, and hardware too (stuff we have no CLUE about as we sit here today).

Holy cow.

It'll be...beautiful.

Anyone who isn't along for the ride these next couple of years is missing out, I believe. I think Apple's really got their ducks in a row pretty damn good, going into this transition. The ONLY people I see freaking out over this Intel thing are - oddly enough - some current Mac users.

If THEY'LL eventually shut their pie-holes and climb aboard, it'll be great.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-06-23 at 19:39.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-23, 19:39

Ditto.

I fervently hope that Apple's impending transition will mean the beginning of the end for Microsoft. I'm glad we're in the right boat.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-23, 20:05

Apple WILL redesign everything. There is little room for doubt on the subject. Obviously, the question is more along the lines of "What will stuff look like?" Come on, P2.0, we haven't seen many mock-ups lately. I invision the iMac retaining its current shape, but no chin and rounded corners. iBooks and PowerBooks will sport widescreen across the lineup, eMacs will gain flat panels, Mac minis will dissappear, and PowerMacs will shrink. Of course, where my curiosity really takes me is to the Dual Processor thing. How do Pentiums work together when paired up or quadrupled, or whatever? And will cheaper chip prices allow Apple to introduce an upgradeable consumer machine?

Lots to look forward to.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-23, 20:48

I doubt they'd call it a "pentium"; Apple has to differentiate from the wintel market. But nonetheless, that has little bearing on what the computer will look like. Unless, that is, the heat sinks stuck out the top of the case...

You ask me for a hamburger.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-23, 20:52

I guess this is becoming a "What will Macs look like next year?" thread, but that's great.

Warning, though - wild speculation ahead!

I love making mockups, but I can only do it on paper - I don't have Illustrator or anything - and I don't have a scanner.

Oddly enough, the only future Apple product I have a really clear picture on is...the eMac. Should it survive the transition - and I hope it does - I think we'll be looking something similair to the iMac now, except curvier - it'd have a curved back, and a more "rounded" stand. I think it'll have a light green box, too - like the iPod shuffle.

As I said earlier, with the iBooks moving up in the world of screen sizes, I think we'll see an "iBook mini" with a 12" display. This is pretty easy to imagine - think of Pscates' colored aluminum iBook mockups...they look awesome.

As far as the true blue iBook, I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised to see it gain a silver border around its edge, like the current Mac mini. The current iBook lacks contrast.

I don't know what color the next-gen Powerbook will be - I'm thinking black - but I think that, when the Powerbook transitions to the x86 platform, the 12" model will be spun off into it's own line - it has more in common with the iBook, currently - but more on that in a second. I think the real next-gen Powerbook (in 15" and 17" models) will retain its angular styling, but it'll need to knock our socks off when it is announced at MWSF. A new color could do the trick, but I think some more visual alterations may be needed - of course, the Powerbook would need to remain simple and sophisticated.

That's right, I said MWSF - I'm expecting the Intel Powerbook to be unveiled in January. In fact, part of me thinks that - in order to "wow" us as much as possible, and because the iBook sorely needs a makeover, and because an iBook update is already rumored - Apple will update their entire laptop line at Macworld. That'd be a hell of a keynote, wouldn't it? Of course, I doubt I'd pin that scenario as "likely," but this is speculation, right?

If Apple's entire notebook line is, in fact, updated at Macworld - iBook, iBook mini and all - the "one more thing" would likely be the replacement for the 12" Powerbook - I'm calling it the "Starbook." It'd be easy to call this the Powerbook equivalent of the iBook mini, but it'd be more than that - it'd be, for the most part, Apple's "prosumer" line, and it'd have to look the part. If the Powerbook was black, I see this being silver - you know, in betwen black and white - but I could also see it coming in colors, believe it or not. "Classier" colors, like deep metallic red and a metallic sky blue in addition to black, white, and silver. It'd probably be more stylishly designed then the Powerbook, as well - I could see Apple putting a bit more flash into this line. Don't worry, it's still look "zen chic," but I could see it having a more "progressive" style. It might be even more sharp and angular then the Powerbook.

OK, OK, that's probably a bit too much thought put into a laptop that doesn't exist yet, but I basically just described my dream Apple portable. Damn, would I love Ives' job...I suppose all of you now hope I never get it

I'm rambling again, so I'll make the rest of the line quick:

iPod shuffle: 1GB/2GB in January, gains small screen above controls.

iPod mini: Updated to a true second generation in January, new colors, slightly shorter.

Mac mini: This I'm the least sure about, but I'm going to say it will be next updated in January, to a full second generation Mac mini, with an Intel processor. Visually unchanged, although it will gain the iPod mini colors...I SWEAR!!

This is an "unrealistic" thread (well, it is now), so post your long, rambling, wild speculation on the future of Apple now. It'll make me feel better
BenRoethig

2005-06-23, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If the developer kits are any sign, there'll definitely be a case change with the towers. The new Intel motherboard Apple is using is much smaller than the regular G5's mobo and there's a lot of empty space in there.

Of course, one should keep in mind that the internals of the current dev units may be nothing like what is eventually shipped.
That's because they basically stuck a Micro ATX motherboard in a G5 case as a cheap solution. Stick a pair of next generation Xeon processors in there and an additional 4 DIMM slots slots on a custom design motherboard with the custom heatsinks and it would look just like a PowerMac G5 on the inside.
MacGregor

2005-06-24, 12:44

so I want to know if Escher is going to come back and spec out his dream subnotebook now that the processor is no longer the problem!?!?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-24, 13:28

With so many threads on this topic, I feel I must reply!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-06-24, 13:52

i figure that the laptops will be the same form factor with maybe slightly different body lines and maybe smooth looking

in order to differentiate the new pbooks from the current ones i reckon they will change the tone of the metal finish and make it either noticeably darker or lighter.... maybe even make it less matte in finish.
Philth

2005-06-24, 15:55

If anything I think stuff may get smaller. But I think the classic Apple look will remain the same. Their computers now make most people drop their jaws at how incredible they look. Price wise I couldn't see them coming down much, but I do think they will offer MORE instead. Dual Processors with Dual Cores for the PowerMac line? Maybe quad depending how cheap they can put it together and still sell it all for 3 grand with a nice profit? I could see them really blowing the doors off the Windows PC market if Intel designs some really personalized boards for them that most people would think was crazy and make OSX melt into it perfectly so they truely gain advantage of the extra boost.

I can dream, cant I?

Last edited by Philth : 2005-06-24 at 15:56.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-25, 17:49

I always thought that the eMac=iTablet because it would be the next to change(since it'd would be bumped to G5) but now it looks more like the iMac will be the tablet.

With intel chips, the iMac will be able to get thinner, and be what is in those patent pictures that been floating around. I'd be perfect for home entertainment networking and such with a brand new Airport Express(802.11n) with components to connect to your TV and stream video and movies from iTunes/iMovie to it and the iMac tablet would be the controller.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-25, 21:51

I think if Apple was going to introduce a tablet, it'd be an all-new product, not some weird new iMac. But maybe that's just me...

Speaking of tablets, I drew up a cool Apple "Flipbook" concept a while back - basically Apple's take on the convertable tablet/notebook. I didn't think it was likely enough to mention in my massive Apple speculation post above, though...
CharlesS

2005-06-26, 15:47

Maybe if these Pentium M-derived chips really are cool enough, Apple will be able to go back to having the easy-open side door like the Yosemite cases had. That would be great - I really did love the Yosemite case.
RBR

2005-06-26, 18:36

The only thing that the eMacs have going for them is supposedly price. They take up far too much space. With something based on the mini/micro BTX form factor and and inexpensive LCD display the net result should be something more like a current day thin client that is seen in many settings...which should be good news for Apple. Something like this, be it sold as an eMac or the new Mac Mini (more likely, I think) will have a broader appeal in the business environment where the network really is king.
hanyou23

2005-06-26, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I don't know what color the next-gen Powerbook will be - I'm thinking black - but I think that, when the Powerbook transitions to the x86 platform, the 12" model will be spun off into it's own line - it has more in common with the iBook, currently - but more on that in a second. I think the real next-gen Powerbook (in 15" and 17" models) will retain its angular styling, but it'll need to knock our socks off when it is announced at MWSF. A new color could do the trick, but I think some more visual alterations may be needed - of course, the Powerbook would need to remain simple and sophisticated.
Steve Jobs wanted the original Titanium PowerBook G4 to be black, but his techies said it wasn't possible with metal cases. With metal cases, they could to almost any color except black (or something along those lines ), so he had to go along with something else... and that's when we got the aluminum look. Unfortunately, don't think that black will be showing up any time soon ...

...but remember that LCD light-emotion patent awhile back? I think it'd be cool if Apple would introduce these LCDs in the new Intel Macs. We still haven't seen this patent pop up in any of the product lines yet, so hopefully one day .....

Anywho, I think it'd be hilarious if the new Power Macs ended up in a beige case again! It won't happen, but Steve would say something like, "Everyone, welcome to Intel." jk...

Last edited by hanyou23 : 2005-06-26 at 23:33.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-26, 23:34

Would make a funny "gotcha" prank at a keynote, wouldn't it?

Unveil some hideously "plain and boring" case for the new Intel-based Power Mac...

Just when the last groan/throat-clearing has faded, Steve could say "suckers!" and show the new one, done in true, righteous Apple style of course.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-26, 23:43

In that case, spectators would climb up onto the stage and beat Steve up before he could explain that it was really a joke.
hanyou23

2005-06-26, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
In that case, spectators would climb up onto the stage and beat Steve up before he could explain that it was really a joke.
"Mob Steve! Mob Steve!!!"
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-27, 00:00

I don't know what would be funnier... several thousand light-deprived geeks attempting to mob Steve, or Steve kicking all of their asses.

Edit: W00t! 500th post !!!!!!1!1!1!!!!!!!1111!11!!1oneone!!!one!11!

Now I'm halfwaay to a custom title

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-06-27 at 07:09.
jouster

2005-06-27, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
IAs I said earlier, with the iBooks moving up in the world of screen sizes, I think we'll see an "iBook mini" with a 12" display. This is pretty easy to imagine - think of Pscates' colored aluminum iBook mockups...they look awesome.
iBooks ARE 12"; how would this one differ?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-27, 20:16

Er, notice how I said "With the iBooks moving up in the world of screen sizes..."

The next-generation (presumably Intel) iBook is rumored to have a 14" and 15" widescreen display.
jouster

2005-06-27, 20:47

Er, you said "I think we'll see an "iBook mini with a 12" display."

Go to apple.com and you can see one right now. My question was how would your proposed iBook differ from a current 12 inch one?

What difference do vague rumors of widescreen 14 or 15 inch iBooks make?
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2005-06-27, 21:19

I know I'm going in a slightly different direction than you guys are by saying this, but looking different shouldn't be a huge issue for you guys. Look at the computer developers recieved, it's no different looking than any other G5 out now. Nothing should have to change, unless it looks nicer, as the progression of the G's goes (G3, G4, G5).
aboodoo

Send a message via Skype™ to aboodoo 
2005-06-28, 10:22

Ah, but do you think they'll still be "G" something?

I'm not sure the Mactel thingy whatsit is going to be called "G6". Maybe it will... after all, it's juts a newer, faster processor, right?

My take is that PowerMacs and PowerBooks, named after the PowerPC processor, might be called something like pMacs and pBooks. Looks I expect to be cool and minimalist, my pMac mockup for example.

A Yonah iMac might be thinner and smaller, and look like a tablet mounted on a stand...