User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rss
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-12-15, 10:37

new site: awesome. rss: pretty cool. i'm wondering what kind of rss options there are (if any). like, is there an rss feed that shows just "new to me" posts, or "today's posts"? i looked at the feed that firefox automatically picked up and i wasn't sure which kind it was.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-12-15, 10:41

The RSS feeds are a great idea, but the short form (Title only) and the long form (from, date/time, which forum and a Read more link) are practically the same. Would it be possible to tweak the long one to include a few lines of text so the slider would have some meaning (and super short posts would actually be readable via RSS instead of having to visit the forum for every thread (thus obviating the value of an RSS feed in lowering traffic for simple replies)?

Otherwise, cool.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-15, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
new site: awesome. rss: pretty cool. i'm wondering what kind of rss options there are (if any). like, is there an rss feed that shows just "new to me" posts, or "today's posts"? i looked at the feed that firefox automatically picked up and i wasn't sure which kind it was.
Well, it can't do "new to me" posts because that would require cookie tracking that RSS doesn't have. So, the feed here displays the most recent threads, but the date threshold is arbitrarily set in the admin panel. Right now, it's set to display recent threads from the past seven days; the default had 30 days.

Why have it? Well, some people just love their RSS. I'm not one of them, but I do understand the appeal. This RSS feed does act like the View Today's "This Week's" Posts link and, since it's RSS, people can monitor updates in the same RSS-reader that they use to monitor news sites and blogs and such.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-15, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Would it be possible to tweak the long one to include a few lines of text so the slider would have some meaning (and super short posts would actually be readable via RSS instead of having to visit the forum for every thread (thus obviating the value of an RSS feed in lowering traffic for simple replies)?
Out of the box, no. Unfortunately, the options are pretty sparse. I've thought about that too, as I was testing it over the past month, and if I get really bored over winter break, I might code some changes.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-15, 10:50

Just to add to the chorus of approval, the RSS is cool. A job well done.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-15, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Well, it can't do "new to me" posts because that would require cookie tracking that RSS doesn't have.
There are cookie-based RSS feeds; it's not impossible, though naturally, the feedreader needs to support it. A better solution is always, of course, to use HTTP authentication, which I guess vBulletin doesn't support
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-12-15, 15:26

All right. I can't find RSS anywhere. Can someone help me out?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-15, 15:30

In Safari or Firefox, there should be an icon for it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (2.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (2.0 KB, 46 views)
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-12-15, 15:35

why would cookies be necessary: couldnt a person's UID be included in the URL? or is that some kind of security violation? maybe we could use a guid instead?

Quote:
Why have it?
so i can see what threads i need to checkout on google's personalized page, without having to look at this ugly new layout.

rss feed (from ff): http://forums.applenova.com/external.php?type=RSS
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-12-15, 16:29

Thanks. Since I don't use the New and Improved Spiffy Safari, RSS feeds don't magically show up. I do however use RSS Menu, but you have to manually cut-and-paste the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
why would cookies be necessary: couldnt a person's UID be included in the URL? or is that some kind of security violation? maybe we could use a guid instead?
I don't think that would be a security problem. You can't change or post with that information and your screen name is public anyways. It is the password you want to keep private.

EDIT: WHOA! That edit box is, like, trippy. I'm like, dude, what's going on, oohhhh... :smokey:

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET