Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Customize User Profiles ala MySpace

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Customize User Profiles ala MySpace
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-07-15, 16:24

Hey I was looking at how the volume of threads has asploded in the AppleOutsider thread, many of them (probably ones I've started) go on for about five replies then drop. Then I started thinking how these things were very much like LiveJournal/MySpace deals... things best carried out in smaller groups or "clubs" or whatever. Then I started thinking, what if we could customize our own user profiles a bit more and exchange comments and such there... really quite a bit of work for something that Brad and the gang aren't even being paid to do, but it was a neat thought nonetheless.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-07-16, 00:33

Well, there are already some 'groups' available in the User CP, but only a couple. Perhaps something could be done to expand on those?

Last edited by BlueRabbit : 2006-07-16 at 00:41.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-07-16, 08:48

A day later, perspective tells me that this idea could lead to a caste system of rowdy gangs, ugly cliques and wild inanity.
CRLF
We really ought to do it!

Captain Drew on Twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-16, 11:07

text
CRLF
more text ... I like it. It works.
CRLF
CRLF
(ahem) on topic to validate this post - not sure it's a good idea
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-17, 15:43

Could I make myself a "Unrepentant Shithead" group listing and do a mass ignore on about 10-15 people from it? Kind of like an iTunes smart folder: anyone I toss into this group automatically gets ignored?

And yes, I know: I'm on plenty of people's "ignore" list...it's a two-way street, I realize. I can live with that.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-07-17, 16:23

Huh? What? Who posted that?

I think I remember now a fragment of the idea of what I was suggesting... I was thinking of a "lists" type of thing, so that people could put down what they're listening to right now, some favorite links, etc. because there's obviously interest in doing that, half of AppleOutsider seems to be comprised of lists and such. Maybe links to their "favorite" AN members or their favorite posts. But I hate that idea.

Maybe a bit more customization of your user profiles.... BUT, the potential for misuse and headaches without cash compensation for Brad et al, and the abundant existence of those things elsewhere make it a pointillist's exercise in making tiny dots.

Still, maybe there could be some interesting community type gizmos that our Bradley could cobble together *after* he finishes designing a version of AN that will load onto my Atari 800XL.

Captain Drew on Twitter