Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Education iPad: Smart or Dumb?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Education iPad: Smart or Dumb?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-03-27, 22:26

I haven't watched the education event yet, and though I believe that Business Insider is frequently bought out by special interests, I do agree with their article describing the "education-ready" iPads as being "fragile" and "impractical" for use in schools.

Have none of the decision makers at Apple met a CHILD??

EVERY DAMNED Apple Pencil will be snapped off in the charge port.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-03-28, 00:49

The Pencil is irrelevant for younger kids. They’ll get the Crayon, which is more kid-friendly, or no stylus at all.

Also, every fucking tech journalist keeps talking about how much better Chromebooks are. No. They’re dirt cheap. And they’re cheap mainly because Google isn’t in it to sell hardware. Apple isn’t having that stupid race to the bottom.
¡Damned!

2018-03-28, 08:28

Troy Wolverton is an anti-Apple hack, so it makes sense he'd end up writing at BI.

That said, the notion that an iPad is more fragile in a child's hands than a Chromebook is laughable. Unhinged even, if you catch my drift. Plus, the iPads will undoubtedly have cases on (because keyboard) making them even more durable.

I agree about the Apple Pencil though. Myself, I'd rather it have a female charging port, but whatever. I'm sure there was much 'to carry cord or not to carry cord' discussion, and the no-carry voices won out.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-03-28, 13:11

If a child acts out and smashes an iPad or breaks a Pencil, give them a zero on whatever lesson was underway, make them clean erasers, and bill the parents for the damage.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-03-28, 13:28

"clean erasers"? How old are you?

Normally the parent is still on the hook for the cost just like lost schoolbooks.

I'm sure it will work using iPads, but really, how many schools are going to pass them out to their students? It sounds great, but I just have a hard time seeing school ditching paper books in favor of iPads. Sure for specific classes on tech or graphics etc... but not as a whole. Not yet anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2018-03-28, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
"clean erasers"? How old are you?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-03-28, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
How old are you?
Old as hell. But you already knew that!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-03-28, 15:27

It just struck me how "outdated" that comment was when we are talking about tablets and eBooks for school. So many times I'm talking to my kids while helping them with their studies and such and have to remember to tell them like it is today and not when I went through school.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.