AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Color Photography Sharing Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 7 of 94 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-04-07, 20:14

Okay, I found the Brad's old display calibration thread. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Now, how do I go about adjusting white balance? Is this something I can do in iPhoto, which I believe is the only program I have that can open Canon RAW files? Should I just convert to TIFF or JPG and do white balance adjustments in another program?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-04-07, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Okay, I found the Brad's old display calibration thread. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Now, how do I go about adjusting white balance? Is this something I can do in iPhoto, which I believe is the only program I have that can open Canon RAW files? Should I just convert to TIFF or JPG and do white balance adjustments in another program?
Download the trial of Aperture and see how you like it. It's got the easiest white balance correction I've ever used (but I don't have a lot of experience with workflow apps). It's only $150 for the education version. That's an absolute steal for that program.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-07, 21:03

You can use iPhoto to a limited degree, but do you have PS?

The Trial on Aperture is a good start too. There are many great features. It's $150 price tag for students isn't that bad either. Well worth the investment IMO.

Also, I'd get a Grey Card to use in the mean time to help set your WB in the field until you can use something like Aperture. I will say though, I feel like Aperture is far better than carrying a Grey Card.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2007-04-07 at 21:25.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-04-07, 23:14

I'm using an 867Mhz PowerBook, so Aperture is out of the question. I have Photoshop Elements, but it's version 1.0. It sounds like I'll be ordering a grey card.

I plan on getting Aperture in college, since I'll be able to get the student discount and I'll have a MacBook Pro. Until then, this is what I have to work with.

edit: Is the Kodak R-27 what I'm looking for?

Last edited by Ryan : 2007-04-07 at 23:25.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-08, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm using an 867Mhz PowerBook, so Aperture is out of the question. I have Photoshop Elements, but it's version 1.0. It sounds like I'll be ordering a grey card.

I plan on getting Aperture in college, since I'll be able to get the student discount and I'll have a MacBook Pro. Until then, this is what I have to work with.

edit: Is the Kodak R-27 what I'm looking for?
Yep, 18% grey is the key you're looking for. There are many makes out there, but those will work for you.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-04-17, 01:11

< Bump >

I was surfing through my pictures folder when I came across some fodder for this thread. Nothing special really, but I thought the contrast was pretty neat.

Yes, I have no background in photography.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-04-17, 03:36

cynical_rock: I know that perspective, I have a similar shot in my box of old slides

Back to the thread topic: A colorful, big butterfly (Atlas moth, to be precise):

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-17, 15:22

Nice shots guys. Thanks for sharing them.
RichieB

2007-04-17, 19:29

Haven't posted on AN in a loooooooooong while. Here goes!

Took these at the Coronado National Memorial in little ol' Sierra Vista, AZ.

Cheers!

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-04-29, 22:50

I love the sunlight streaming through the clouds RichieB.

I just posted some photos of my bike in another thread and it reminded me - I wouldn't mind a critique of some of my China shots. If anybody is interested, I'd certainly value the feedback. I'm shooting film (but have only had one batch from last year scanned and imported so far) and would be happy to have others to talk to about this stuff. link

On the same topic, has anybody here joined a photography forum - I lurk, but don't feel compelled to join them. Any comments on this issue?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-29, 23:13

I love your images from China Mac+. I wouldn't mind visiting there at some point in my life. Thanks for sharing those pictures. I'll go through and critique the images you linked to after finals week.

As for the forums. I have joined a Canon forum and I get some good tips from there. I don't post much, because I do my social postings here and only use that site for more technical issues. I've learned that their critiques suck compared to ones I get from class or even here. They offer good pointers, but you have to impress someone enough over there to get them to stop and give you more than "nice pic", etc...

I'd say it's worth joining, just so you can post and get some feedback. It's not all bad, but know in most cases, you're going to face photo snobbery. Then again, maybe it's just the forum I joined.

RichieB, I like your shots too! You captured the sun/clouds wonderfully. If only there could be a little less foliage in the foreground.

Here's my latest Photoshop for for class. This was one of the two images in my portfolio. This portfolio was Montage! I'm not going to post the other one here since it is filled with images of my family. I love y'all here, but not that much. (Actually, it's the lurkers that scare me. )

So here's the story behind this image. Friend of mine has picture of daughter but it was taken with a chain link fence and red brick wall in the background. They didn't want the fence or brick so they asked me to doctor it for them since I was in a Photoshop class. So what do you think? Does it look Photoshopped? What could I have done differently? Obviously I couldn't control the harshness of the lighting on the kids face with this image, though that is what sticks out to me. But what about the rest of it?

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-04-29, 23:58

@turtle2472:Nice photoshop work. The only thing that irritates me: The meadow gets unsharp in the distance (probably due to depth of field), but the trees are sharp again...

Back to the thread topic: Seen yesterday while walking the dog:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-04-30, 00:01

Thanks turtle. I'm looking forward to some comments when you have the chance. Good luck for your finals too.

One question - can you post a link to the Canon forum you joined? I know of dpreview, but I can't stand their forum layout (we are truly spoilt here ) and some of the comments are really inane. There's also photo.net but I don't know the community that well.

Btw, if you own Canon gear, one place I can recommend for reviews is http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ The lens comparison charts are particularly helpful.

re: the PhotoShop critique.
For some reason, I can't see your image in this thread - but when I went to your personal site I was able to locate it. Harsh lighting aside, it looks great - the clean white in front of the green background makes for a nice contrast. Also, I had to come back here to read what she was in front of originally, so your care with isolating here from her surroundings certainly paid off.

However, I have a few questions about the background: Are the foreground trees a separate layer from the background mountain? They seem quite distinct, particularly at the left edge. Is there some noise around there? Also, as much I as I like the shot of the girl being in front of the scenery, I wonder about the lack of background "life" artefacts - like a rug, or kid toys nearby. She just seems to have been planted there. Actually, on closer inspection, I think it is because she is in focus as are the trees in the background too. That's a pretty impressive dof - perhaps that's what makes it stand out in my mind. Maybe if the background were to be blurred a bit, that would help lessen the perceived juxtaposition.

[EDIT] GSpotter is on the money - the meadow goes out of focus and then the trees are in focus. That's a more accurate description of the problem! That said, I don't think your "average Joe" would pick it up.

twitter
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-04-30, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
So what do you think? Does it look Photoshopped? What could I have done differently?
As GSpotter said, the depth of field is your only problem here. You should one of theses solutions :
  • Blur the background (gradient way) to simulate the depth of field.
  • Replace the grass (maybe the mountain ?) so the picture looks like it was taken with infinite DOF.

Anyway, how many images did you use ? Does the trees and mountain are 2 separate thing ? Seems so with a little difference in t he colors and a minimal selection glitch on the tree to the left. But don't get me wrong on this, you did a nice job to this photo

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-30, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
@turtle2472:Nice photoshop work. The only thing that irritates me: The meadow gets unsharp in the distance (probably due to depth of field), but the trees are sharp again...

Back to the thread topic: Seen yesterday while walking the dog:

Good eye, I missed the grass for the trees. I like the bug too, good eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Thanks turtle. I'm looking forward to some comments when you have the chance. Good luck for your finals too.

One question - can you post a link to the Canon forum you joined? I know of dpreview, but I can't stand their forum layout (we are truly spoilt here ) and some of the comments are really inane. There's also photo.net but I don't know the community that well.
Thanks. I need it. In fact I'm delaying finishing up my research essay that's due today. I really should quit putting it off.
Photography On the Net. They are pretty much Canon only, though images are images when it comes to critiques.

Quote:
[re: the PhotoShop critique.
For some reason, I can't see your image in this thread - but when I went to your personal site I was able to locate it. Harsh lighting aside, it looks great - the clean white in front of the green background makes for a nice contrast. Also, I had to come back here to read what she was in front of originally, so your care with isolating here from her surroundings certainly paid off.

However, I have a few questions about the background: Are the foreground trees a separate layer from the background mountain? They seem quite distinct, particularly at the left edge. Is there some noise around there? Also, as much I as I like the shot of the girl being in front of the scenery, I wonder about the lack of background "life" artefacts - like a rug, or kid toys nearby. She just seems to have been planted there. Actually, on closer inspection, I think it is because she is in focus as are the trees in the background too. That's a pretty impressive dof - perhaps that's what makes it stand out in my mind. Maybe if the background were to be blurred a bit, that would help lessen the perceived juxtaposition.

[EDIT] GSpotter is on the money - the meadow goes out of focus and then the trees are in focus. That's a more accurate description of the problem! That said, I don't think your "average Joe" would pick it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
As GSpotter said, the depth of field is your only problem here. You should one of theses solutions :
  • Blur the background (gradient way) to simulate the depth of field.
  • Replace the grass (maybe the mountain ?) so the picture looks like it was taken with infinite DOF.

Anyway, how many images did you use ? Does the trees and mountain are 2 separate thing ? Seems so with a little difference in t he colors and a minimal selection glitch on the tree to the left. But don't get me wrong on this, you did a nice job to this photo
You all three nailed it. I never noticed the grass dropped off due to the DOF. I was so focused on getting the blending of grassy meadow to the mountains in the background and trying to make it look like foothills leading to the mountains.

It's actually only two images. Grass and kid in one image and the tree line back in another. I took the tree line shot on vacation so I would have some "stock" images for situations like this. It paid off. Gradient blur is a great idea! Now that I can see the difference in DOF I'll have to work on it. Hopefully my instructor didn't notice it when he graded it. I'll let you know tonight after my final class with him.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-04-30, 10:45

Repost your pic when it's done. I (probably we... isn't it guys ? ) would like to see the result.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-03, 12:43

How's that? More blur maybe? I'm trying to keep from taking it too far.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-05-03, 13:33

Much better !

If it was me, I would add a little more blur but when I say a little, it is very a little bit.

Anyway... you can't really tell it has been modified now so more or less blur just becomes a simulation of what kind of lens/setting did you use. It's up to you. Good work.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-05-03, 18:43

It was a foggy day in Hat-town....
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-03, 22:07

That looks good turtle ... I could probably go for some more blur too, but it's more natural looking than the first effort, that's for sure.

Let us know what your instructor thought.

twitter
RichieB

2007-05-03, 22:15

Thanks for the kind words, turtle and Mac+! I love seeing all these thread pics and getting inspired to go shoot some more
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-05-04, 00:36

A small poison arrow frog:

AWR
Veteran Member

2007-05-04, 03:50

Beautiful, Gspotter. Is that in your backyard?
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-05-04, 11:00

Luckily, no! According to this article, "The frog's poison is secreted through the skin and even a lick can sometimes prove fatal. Poison arrow frogs have about 200 micrograms of poison in their systems. It would take only 2 micrograms to kill a human."

The frog is sitting in a terrarium in the local zoo...

My photos @ flickr
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-05-04, 12:15

Quote:
OMG ! Really nice shot Gspotter. Really nice... I love it !
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-04, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
That looks good turtle ... I could probably go for some more blur too, but it's more natural looking than the first effort, that's for sure.

Let us know what your instructor thought.
I'll touch up the blur a little more and post it when finished. Thanks for the input.

As for my instructor, he was at a disadvantage to notice blur shift in the original I posted. Iwas given a 100% on it because he didn't see that flaw. Our portfolios are submitted at 8" longest side and 72 DPI. Something close to 525 pixels on it's longest side. Hard to see that detail in those conditions. I got a 96% on the portfolio altogether though! And an "A" for the class! I'm still 4.0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
Thanks for the kind words, turtle and Mac+! I love seeing all these thread pics and getting inspired to go shoot some more
You're welcome, glad we can help inspire you to shoot more! I won't be in class this summer so I'm going to have to creat my own shoots now.

Quote:

Great shot! I love the color you were able to bring out in what was surely poor lighting.

RichieB

2007-05-07, 20:37

Nice froggy! Seriously... great pic. I am working on improving my indoor and/or low-light skills. Lets just say I am thankful to my digital camera, since I can experiment wildly with f-stops/aperture settings and shutter speeds without worrying about spending money on rolls/developing.

While we are on animals, here is one I recently took from my balcony

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.

Last edited by RichieB : 2007-05-08 at 08:43.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-05-09, 16:47

I'm currently playing with the bazillion autofocus configuration parameters of my new D200. My dog is a willing subject...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-13, 01:26

Very nice GSpotter ... not just the dof - the colour combination is very effective too.

I spent last week watching a ship being launched at an island off Nanjing. It was quite fascinating - about a dozen guys and these inflatable balloons that they insert under the ship to roll it down to the shore. Huge undertaking. I'll be out of town for the next couple of weeks, but I hope to have some of these shots up in the next month or so after I return.

[tangent] I so want a full-frame DSLR. I'm getting tired of shooting film. The associated costs (financial and time-based) for experimentation, printing and then scanning to digital are beginning to take their toll. Come on Canon: bring on the 5D replacement - just don't call it 5D Mark II. [/tangent]

twitter
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 20:42

I took my camera to school today for some end-of-year photographs and I think I actually walked away with a few good portraits.

But what I'm posting is actually an action shot of a percussionist.

It just seems to me that something is missing, but I can't quite tell what it is. Any ideas?