Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Color Photography Sharing Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 8 of 94 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
RichieB

2007-05-17, 21:07

Great Pics, Ryan. Nice portraits... I liked your consistency in the indoor shots. I am impressed with the lighting and exposure handling. The one thing I noticed that took away from the shots, and I don't quite know why, but after the first couple of pics, the contrast between the focused subject vs. background seemed to bug me. This is only my gut reaction; I am still learning myself

P.S., which camera are you using?

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.

Last edited by RichieB : 2007-05-17 at 21:08. Reason: P.S.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 21:26

Thanks for the compliment. Do you think you could elaborate on what you mean by too much contrast? Are you referring to the amount of blur? If so, I agree somewhat. I was shooting using shutter-priority, mostly at 1/100, sometimes at 1/60 or 1/80, and at ISO200 so I often ended up with very low apertures. (Unfortunately, Picasa doesn't seem to report the aperture very well. It claims some to be at f/0.91. Yeah, right) Anyways, because of that the blur is a little on the extreme side.

Oh, and I'm using a Digital Rebel XT and all these shots were taken with a 50mm/1.4.
RichieB

2007-05-17, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Thanks for the compliment. Do you think you could elaborate on what you mean by too much contrast? Are you referring to the amount of blur?
Sorry! I did mean blur Nice camera. I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-7 myself.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

It just seems to me that something is missing, but I can't quite tell what it is. Any ideas?
Great capture, very tangible!

As to your question.
To the viewer the subject is not clear. The reason for this is actually quite simple. Compositionally as well as emotionally the left hand is the subject: here you can see the actual marimba player making his/her music. So this part should have been in focus.
Unfortunately the much less interesting right stick is in focus. Because the right hand is not visible, the stick doesn't convey anything more than it's mechanical function, e.g. it's lacking emotion compared to the left hand.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Great capture, very tangible!

As to your question.
To the viewer the subject is not clear. The reason for this is actually quite simple. Compositionally as well as emotionally the left hand is the subject: here you can see the actual marimba player making his/her music. So this part should have been in focus.
Unfortunately the much less interesting right stick is in focus. Because the right hand is not visible, the stick doesn't convey anything more than it's mechanical function, e.g. it's lacking emotion compared to the left hand.
Ah, that makes sense. So you think I should try with a slightly slower shutter? Say, 1/50 or even 1/30, so I capture some motion but the mallet is still somewhat sharp? I think I should also try for a greater depth of field as well.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 23:13

A greater depth of field would (technically) help, though the effect from a limited dof is of course beautiful

The question to any viewer is "What am I looking at?". In your piucture I could be either the mallet, or the instrument itself. Neither are really interesting though (imho) because music is made by people. So the real emotion of this subject lies with the hand(s) of the player. They are (could be) the visible and acting part of the musician. For that reason I would strive for a picture in which the hands of the player are the prime subject, rather than the mallet or the marimba.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
A greater depth of field would (technically) help, though the effect from a limited dof is of course beautiful

The question to any viewer is "What am I looking at?". In your piucture I could be either the mallet, or the instrument itself. Neither are really interesting though (imho) because music is made by people. So the real emotion of this subject lies with the hand(s) of the player. They are (could be) the visible and acting part of the musician. For that reason I would strive for a picture in which the hands of the player are the prime subject, rather than the mallet or the marimba.
Ah, I hadn't thought about that. Tomorrow I'll try again and see if I can't get a slightly-blurred-yet-in-focus effect with the hands, let the mallets blur, but still try to keep the instrument somewhat in focus.

The difficult part is positioning myself. I only have a 50mm to work with, and the way our percussionists set up their equipment makes it difficult for me to really get the hands to be the subject, since I'm either behind the instrument (so that I'm facing the musician) or next to him/her.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-18, 09:15

I totally agree with julesstoop on this. Another way to think of it is that people are more interested in people than they are things. I like the concept for the images you have put up. The one thing that really stands out to me though it the temp of the image. Since you were shooting in RAW, your WB settings are irrelevant (at least on the XT) so you'll need to go back and adjust for the correct temp. Shooting inside with those lighting conditions suck at best. You no doubt had three different light sources at all times. (Daylight, Fluorescent, Tungsten)

Here's a rough, 2 second, adjustment to the hands image:

Louis L'Amour, โ€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.โ€
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-18, 12:49

I've been trying to adjust white balance on various photos but I'm limited by what iPhoto can do, but I do what I can. I didn't actually attempt any adjustments until after I posted that one, but I'll go back and see if I can get closer to what you posted, turtle.

BTW, on my monitor, the instrument and the mallet heads are a fair bit darker than how they appear in your corrections. I'm aiming for somewhere inbetween the two.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-18, 13:21

Since you don't have anything other than iPhoto to make your corrections with, I would suggest you limit yourself to shooting with Large-Fine JPG and master your WB settings. Then you will have the room to make small adjustments. iPhoto is good, but can only adjust so far. With PS, I just set the white point to one of the highlights in that image. Obviously this won't be true to the scene when you took the image, but it's surely much closer than the RAW data. If you are still planning to shoot with RAW though, then shoot with RAW + JPG. Then you can modify the RAW data later, when you have the software to do it, and you'll have the JPG to work with in the mean time.

Trust me, this will really help you to learn your cameras WB settings. This is also where the grey card would com in handy by allowing you to set the custom WB when in such horrid lighting conditions.

Louis L'Amour, โ€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.โ€
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-05-18, 13:41

Another idea: If you can/want to use a flash: Select a rather long exposure time and set the flash to rear curtain sync. As a result the flash would fire at the end of the exposure time so you should get a "frozen", sharp stick with a motion blur trail, emphasizing the movement.

If your flash supports a strobe effect, you might want to try this feature, too...

In order to increase the color photo per posts ratio in this thread , here's a scan from a slide which I took about 12 years ago near Ayers Rock:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by GSpotter : 2007-05-18 at 13:41. Reason: Posts merged
RichieB

2007-05-28, 23:53

Here is a macro shot taken a couple of days ago at the Tucson Desert Museum

Hummingbird at the same museum's aviary

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.

Last edited by RichieB : 2007-05-28 at 23:53. Reason: Posts merged
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-29, 13:28

I've been trying to get a good hummingbird shot for a while. There aren't many in my area though.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-29, 22:05

No photo - but I just bought my first ever "second-hand" piece of tech. EOS 1V HS - the last of the Canon film bodies to date. It looks like a beast, but I could not pass it up as it was less than 1/10 of the retail price.

(Stupid Canon hasn't moved on the rrp at all. )

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-29, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
No photo - but I just bought my first ever "second-hand" piece of tech. EOS 1V HS - the last of the Canon film bodies to date. It looks like a beast, but I could not pass it up as it was less than 1/10 of the retail price.

(Stupid Canon hasn't moved on the rrp at all. )
On a similar note, we've just finished unpacking the rest of our moving boxes in the past few days (I know, it took us a year) and I found my mom's old Canon AE-1 Program, along with a 50mm/1.8 and a 28mm/2.8.

I'm trying to get her to let me buy a roll of B&W film (Tri-X perhaps?) and try it out a bit.
razaex

2007-05-30, 02:59

Had a good time reading this thread and viewing the images. Lots of talented people here. Here's my own two cents to help add to the collection. In order, they are Pittsburgh, West Virginia and West Virginia.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-30, 04:48

The iMac screen on my parents' computer is really losing "it", so I'm not noticing great contrast presently. However, that last shot, with the person standing and looking at the waterfall is a gem. Well composed razaex - nice shot.

The humming bird shot is a great one too RichieB. As I mentioned, it looks dark on this screen, but the dof and focus is spot on.

Ryan - my father has the old AE-1 (sans Program) and I still remember back to when I was a kid how I used to wait until he went to work before I would sneak it out for a look and check out the features with my "Introduction to SLR photography" book in hand. That was ages ago and my interest in SLR photography has only resurfaced in the past year, but, looking back, it makes me realise how I have always been fascinated with the equipment and how the controls integrate to help capture the moment.

That said, enjoy the authentic click of the AE1 and don't forget to wind the film advance lever for your next shot.

RE: B&W film - I'm currently using Kodak T400CN (expired) ... we found a bunch at the school, so the price was right.

One good thing about it is that it can be developed using the C-41 process. I don't have a dark room, nor have I ever developed my own film. Actually, I'm not sure I want to at this stage either. Thus, for me, in terms of convenience, the T400CN is pretty handy. It is a bit grainy, but it is rated at 400 so I expected that too.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2007-05-30 at 20:21. Reason: felt like it
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-05-30, 05:33

I love this photo, taken about 18 months ago by a friend. Older brother is hugging younger brother at the younger brother's 18th.

RichieB

2007-05-30, 12:55

Quote:
The humming bird shot is a great one too RichieB. As I mentioned, it looks dark on this screen, but the dof and focus is spot on.
Thanks! The photo is dark indeed... I need to tweak it. This darn photo-taking thing is becoming my uber-hobby now. Heck it has even placated my WoW withdrawal symptoms!

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-05-31, 17:25

Almost stepped on this guy. About 1/2 cm.

Click image for more...
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-06-05, 14:58

Wow @razaex.

This next picture of mine doesn't have a really good composition I'm afraid. But the light is pretty amazing i.m.h.o.

(more @ my Flickr page)

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-06-05, 22:30

Storm a coming!

I don't think I ever posted this one.

Last edited by Windowsrookie : 2007-06-05 at 22:42.
iBrowse

2007-06-07, 20:16

These were taken at a huge outdoor sculpture park in western New York, very awesome place, takes about 2 hours to hike the entire thing. The color and levels are better on some than others, I was having so much fun there that I kept forgetting to bother thinking about the pictures I was taking.

This is one of my favorite pictures ever, purely for content, it was taken with a disposable camera. This is from my band's first tour, taken somewhere between Baltimore and Virginia Beach. The wardrobe can be partially explained by this being in the middle of a 2 day drinking binge. By binge I mean disaster...

i thought i used to have a signature
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-06-14, 00:16

New censorship rules active in flickr since yesterday

If your Yahoo! ID is based in Singapore, Germany, Hong Kong or Korea you will only be able to view safe content based on your local Terms of Service so wonโ€™t be able to turn SafeSearch off.
In other words that means, that german users can not access photos on flickr that are not flaged "safe" ... only flowers and landscapes for the germans ...
We will not let this happen! Copy and upload this picture to your account - show flickr who we are! Also if you are not from Germany - help us.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-16, 13:18

Seeing as this is my first contribution to this thread I'll give a little background of myself... I've always sort of enjoyed photography but have never really put forth the effort (or money) to get serious about it. This christmas I got a cool little digital camera and I've been messing around with it mostly on trips and vacations ever since.

Here are some of my favorite pictures taken all over the place

Crane

Flowers

Branches

Fireworks

Dogs

Smoke

enjoy! (and critique if you want... I'd appreciate it!)
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-16, 13:49

Wow... I was just looking through the rest of this thread after posting my pics and what you guys post puts all of my pictures to absolute shame... Everyone who's put up pictures has done an AMAZING job.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-06-16, 14:04

I do like the one with the crane.
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2007-06-16, 20:01

Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-06-16, 23:05

Aaargh!

Ebby - jules - WR - GSpotter - Coach - propellerhead - I can't see *any* images.

GSpotter - Looks like that flickr censorship thing that you mentioned is affecting us in the mainland of China too. I don't have a flickr account, so I can't help out, but, for the record, I can't even see the image you posted and asked us to upload to our account. Ironic.

twitter
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2007-06-16, 23:44

Quote:
Aaargh!

Ebby - jules - WR - GSpotter - Coach - propellerhead - I can't see *any* images.

GSpotter - Looks like that flickr censorship thing that you mentioned is affecting us in the mainland of China too. I don't have a flickr account, so I can't help out, but, for the record, I can't even see the image you posted and asked us to upload to our account. Ironic.
Geeze, I didn't really realize how bad Flickr had gotten. Let me know if you can see these images:

FYI I'm trying Google's Picasa web albums.