Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Staying Cool

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Staying Cool
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-10, 08:43

In many parts of the US, we've recently suffered through record breaking heat waves, yet the summer had just barely started. So, this month's theme is Staying Cool. Let's see what you and your friends and your family are doing to stay cool during these hot times. Live somewhere that isn't sweltering? Then make us jealous!

As always, photos must be taken during this period and posted with minimal editing.

Closing time for submissions will be August 7th at 23:59 PST.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-07-10, 09:14

man,i really should do at least one of these. i have kids and a pool, should have at least submitted something for the last few.
¡Damned!

2012-07-11, 12:25

I'll be up on Houghton Lake for a week towards the end of the month. Found an awesome cottage that allows dogs and cats, so I'm bringing Britta and Gato with me. So excited to have all the family together on a vacation.

I'll shoot something up there and enter it.

So it goes.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-07-12, 20:34

Here's my entry. Owning a Siberian Husky in the desert has its challenges. This is a dog that is literally bred to live in the snow. They can survive in temperatures all the way down to 60ºF below zero. They have two coats, a rough water resistant outer coat, and a soft, fluffy down-like undercoat. So living here, especially at this time of year, and especially this year in particular when it seems to be hotter than previous years, is not exactly ideal in terms of Husky ownership. Yesterday I saw 117º on my car's ext. temp readout.

So obviously the A/C stays on in the house 24/7, but I still have to take him out for walks every day. I try to do it when the sun is down, or like today when it's overcast so we don't have direct sunlight. Even without that though, by the time we get back Rex is panting and hot. What do?

Popsicles! What works for people works for dogs. In this case it's a pumpkin popsicle, it's just store-bought pumpkin mixed with some water and frozen in a dog popsicle mold, one with a hard rubber base that's safe and good for chewing on. He absolutely loves these things, and they cool him down internally. It's not as good as a frolic in a snowbank, but it gets the job done.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-07-12, 20:57

Up to 34C (93F) the next few of days here in Ottawa (and, incidentally, about 5 weeks since we have had any rain), so I should have a chance to snap something appropriate to the theme.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-07-15, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Live somewhere that isn't sweltering? Then make us jealous!
Maybe I find a better picture, but as a placeholder for now: We currently have temperatures of about 65°F and lots of rain. One moment, it's sunny and half an hour later, you take a shower when you're outside.
My wife recently bought a felt cloak at a medievel market, so we took the chance to get some LOTR style pictures.
I assume with the current temperatures in the US, you would melt in that cloak...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-07-17, 11:35

Well either melt or explode, yeah.

I love that picture, it's awesome.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-07-31, 13:34

Around 32C/90F, after lunch in a square here http://goo.gl/maps/evOhA, a cone of coconut/pistachio from Gelateria Zero Gradi hits the spot!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-31, 17:31

Ooh! Excellent reminder. One week to go, peeps.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-05, 19:37

T-minus 2 days and a few hours, chaps! Get those cameras clicking!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-08-05, 23:38

Going to have to skip this one, got nothing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-08, 20:37

I guess this one's over! I'll ponder the entries and post the results later tonight.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-09, 00:01

Good work, guys!

I'm really a sucker for ice cream, so this month's winner is AWR! The photo couldn't be much simpler. A melting ice cream cone? That right there spells out "beating the summer heat" to me. I will admit to having several-too-many ice cream and gelato (oh gods yes more please) treats over the past couple of months...

Xaqtly had for the same basic idea, and although I could see the dog was really enjoying his treat, I didn't really get as much a visual of and feel for the coolness of the frozen treat.

Honorable mention to GSpotter's brain-contorting contribution. I really like the picture, but my mind reels at the thought of wearing a full dark cloak like that in the peak of summer. And those clouds? I can just feel the humidity rising when I see them. We've had a ton of hot days ending with thunderstorms here in NC this summer. How can she not be drenched with sweat?!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-08-09, 07:06

Wow, great, thanks! I will try to start a new PCT thread tomorrow.
¡Damned!

2012-08-09, 11:57

Agreed. AWR's pic is delightful.

Also, if I came out of the woods and saw GSpotter's scene, I would definitely shit myself. "It's not my time yet!!!"

So it goes.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2012-08-09, 15:27

damn I missed it. Was going to submit this picture of my friend jumping off the ledge of a hotel patio into the Adriatic (the cliffs were a pain in the butt to get to and this was about the same height, maybe 20-25 feet).

AWR
Veteran Member

2012-08-11, 22:51

Sorry lads, going away for the week with no Internets.
Best,
a