User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What brand of toilet paper do you prefer?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What brand of toilet paper do you prefer?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-17, 00:13

I'm not going to post a poll as there are too many brands for me to list. But I was staring at my toilet today and I started thinking about this (perhaps I was inspired by poodrops).

Myself, I am loyal to Quilted Northern. It's just paper-y enough without being rough. I actually really hate that super-soft stuff that Charmin and Kleenex make. It's so soft that it disintegrates, leaving little pieces of toilet paper behind (not to mention it tears really easily which is never good).

So what are you into? Soft "luxury" toilet paper? Scratchy, cheap 1-ply stuff? Something in between? That all-cotton stuff?
veryamusing

2008-04-17, 00:16

I use the least expensive toilet paper that I can find, usually Target's or Publix's store brand stuff.

You're spot on about the pillowy varieties leaving behind remnants. Yuck!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-04-17, 00:22

I have to say that I've never identified the various qualities of toilet paper. I guess I'm a "Charmin Guy" as that's what my folks used. Perhaps I need to shop around to see if I like a different brand.... though I'm pretty sure that I'd like to have a bidet, if money was no object. What a great, non-abrasive way to get things cleaned up.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-17, 00:25

Whatever my wife buys from the market. Last time it had Aloe in it and I asked her not to get that kind again. I never feel clean after wiping with it...like I missed something wet and mushy down there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2008-04-17, 00:36

Bidet. Tree haters.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-04-17, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I never feel clean after wiping with it...like I missed something wet and mushy down there.
Thanks! Just what I wanted to read just after breakfast

I buy 100% recycled (although not from old toilet paper I'd hope).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-17, 01:28

Angel Soft. Nice mix of soft but sturdy, etc. I don't like the real pillowy stuff either, but I certainly don't like the gas station bathroom 180-grit toilet paper either.

Eugene
careful with axes

2008-04-17, 01:30

Kirkland. My asshole does not need to be spoiled.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 01:53

Cottonelle for years now. Quilted Northern before that.

I hate the rough crap that comes on the giant rolls in public stalls.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-04-17, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Kirkland. My asshole does not need to be spoiled.
In similar fashion I just get cheap no name brand toilet paper.
ctt1wbw

2008-04-17, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Angel Soft. Nice mix of soft but sturdy, etc. I don't like the real pillowy stuff either, but I certainly don't like the gas station bathroom 180-grit toilet paper either.

Another vote for Angel Soft. NEVER clogs the toilet. It would make Al Bundy very pleased.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-04-17, 08:41

I like anything with the double-thickness sheets, whatever you call that. My roommates are stupid and bought the really thin soft stuff, and it really does tear horribly. The double-thick ones are soft enough to not be as rough as, say, paper towels, but they're also a lot tougher and don't tear.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
iThink therefore iMac

2008-04-17, 08:57

I'm a fan of Charmin...probably because I've always used it.
hflomberg

2008-04-17, 12:48

Corncobs?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-04-17, 13:34

I bought some Charmin that was on sale a couple months ago. I don't know exactly what variety, but it was the thickest damn TP I've ever come across, thick as chipboard but very soft.

I usually buy brand X that doesn't suck (i.e., no Scott, no White Cloud) and is on sale.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 15:49

I usually get Scott tissue, they have a shit load of squares per roll, and it's usually cheap...and when you're hirsute like me, this is necessary...I'm reminded of the simile "it's like trying to scrape peanut butter off a shag rug".

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 15:55

Luca: I dunno (think the wife buys northern but I'm not sure)...

The thing to remember is that the Merovingian claims that swearing in French is like wiping your ass with silk, so I recommend you give it a shot.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-17, 15:58

I think silk would be too slippery. Comfortable, sure, but it wouldn't really pick anything up.

That's my problem with most shitty (pun intended) 1-ply brands like Scott and anything you find in a public toilet. Most are too slippery to be effective. They just push shit around.

Cottonelle gives me dingleberries.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-17, 16:00

+1 Rep point for Luca.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-17, 16:03

Man, posting about poop really racks in the rep.

Don't worry, you guys all get +rep too.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-04-17, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
I usually buy brand X that doesn't suck (i.e., no Scott, no White Cloud) and is on sale.
I'd buy toilet paper did actually suck. I imagine that would increase its efficiency by some magnitude.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-17, 17:02

Pfft. You guys can keep the one-ply sandpaper for your hairy asses. I'll take the Charmin Ultra, thankyouverymuch.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-04-17, 17:06

I think toilet paper should come with a "grams of shit per wipe" rating....
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-04-17, 17:09

Sandpaper, gets all the clingons off.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-04-17, 17:17

When, when, dear lord, will we get those fancy Japanese toilets that were all the television news rage in the early 90's? It sprays your ass clean, then DRIES IT with hairdryer like things. Your crack-curlies are fluffed and groomed, your ass clean, warm and dry.... Heaven, I tells ya, heaven...

(Charmin for this fella, though really, whatever is on sale in the big packs).

The real question here is, Over or Under? Clearly over is the right answer, for ease of plucking and avoidance of over-pulling the roll. Those who hang it under... *sigh*... like my wife occasionally... well, you're just doin' it wrong.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
iThink therefore iMac

2008-04-17, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
When, when, dear lord, will we get those fancy Japanese toilets that were all the television news rage in the early 90's? It sprays your ass clean, then DRIES IT with hairdryer like things. Your crack-curlies are fluffed and groomed, your ass clean, warm and dry.... Heaven, I tells ya, heaven...
I know an older man who has one of those fancy toilets...he calls it his "magical toilet" because it does everything automatically. You just need to be careful that you press the right button...otherwise something might happen that you're not prepare for!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-17, 17:33

This I'd the bestest thread that has ever been in the whole wide worldification.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-04-17, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I think toilet paper should come with a "grams of shit per wipe" rating....
This is an awesome idea! But then we have also have to consider the different friction coefficients for asses with different, shall we say, properties. Unless there is the model human ass that the measure could be based upon, analogous to the small-medium-large sizing used in the clothing industry.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-04-17, 17:46

But whose shit will be the benchmark? Is this like the English unit "inch" supposedly being the length of the last knuckle of the king's thumb?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-04-17, 17:53

I think we should go back to wet wipes. Kids have it right. Dry paper just doesn't work as well.