Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

World Cup 2010

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
World Cup 2010
Page 1 of 17 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
ronmexico

2010-05-02, 13:53

I am excited about the World Cup in June so I started a thread. I am going to watch the US England match in Brooklyn with some soccer fans and bought my flight today. There is no better place in the US to watch the World Cup than NYC.

Prediction: The Netherlands will take home the trophy. Assuming van Persie stays healthy, the Dutch are a great team with a good draw. Although Spain and Brazil look tough, they are beatable this year. England has a good chance as well. Rooney is a huge threat and I suspect will have good chemistry with Lampard. Their coach is incredible and should keep the team on task.

Other prediction: England will destroy the US 4-0. I hate to say it, but with our injuries and lack of a true playmaker I see England dominating this match.

Last edited by ronmexico : 2010-05-02 at 17:25.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-05-02, 14:55

The 'Related Threads' have a couple of Moogs prior postings on the topic with some predictions inside.

I'd back the Irish, if not for the French Hand...
At the moment I'm still firmly in the "Anyone But England" camp, mostly because they still drone on about 1966, and a win this year would make them even more insufferable.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-02, 15:20

England is (remains) the most overrated team, as usual. I feel bad for them actually, the English press builds up expectations built on very unsure foundations. (I suppose a lot of national teams feel the same pressure.) Nothing against England at all, of course, but they are no longer a top-flight squad; they are as close to the Americans and the Danish as they are to the Spanish or the Arggies. Fear not curiousuburb (strange feeling that this post will singlehandedly ensure Engulund wins the Cup).

As usual the US vacillates between world beaters and bottom feeders. The US team that showed up and beat African champs 3-0, Euro champs Spain 2-0, and put two past South American champs Brazil (full squads all), before losing 2-3 in the Confederations Cup is a handful, and I like their chances against England. The US team that played Holland in a friendly a few months ago stunk. The USA group with Algeria and Slovenia, along with England, is no picnic. The US will have to play very well to get out, which of course is true for all of the teams in any group.

My prediction is Spain should Iniesta get healthy; otherwise Argentina via raw talent, in spite of their coach.

Edit: btw, ron who's out for the US; is it grim?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-05-02, 16:05

Beyond excited for the World Cup. I picked up World Cup 2010 for ps3 last night and have been playing it non-stop.

Arguably my most favorite sporting event after march madness.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
ronmexico

2010-05-02, 16:26

Onyewu, Dempsey, Davies, and Holden were injured. They are healing well, so its not a total disaster. We'll see.

Maradonna will completely mess up Argentina. Call me crazy, but Coke heads dont make great coaches.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-05-02, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
Maradonna will completely mess up Argentina. Call me crazy, but Coke heads dont make great coaches.
hahaha, I was thinking the same exact thing last night as I was playing FIFA.
CFP

2010-05-02, 17:01

The English press doesn't build up expectations, only the red-top, tabloid gutter-scum does, or rather uses the whole thing as an exercise in jingoistic provocation (anyone remember their pathetic mockup of Paul Gascoigne wearing a German stormtrooper hat in 1996?). The rest of the (quality) press remains relatively realistic about the English chances, as do most people I know.

I'd say the English do sit among the "top-flight", if you count top eight teams of the world - and they're only a mere 16 ranking points behind the seventh team, Argentina.

That said, I don't believe for a second that they'll get beyond the quarters at best.

I'd like to see the Dutch finally win it too. Everyone loves the Dutch

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-03, 04:18

Regarding the English press, perhaps you're right CFP; it might be a case of selective memory. I follow football via the Guardian and their coverage is certainly balanced (if not overly cynical and self-deprecating).

Personally, I don't put much stock in the rankings as set by FIFA number crunching; it may have been the last World Cup (or the one before) that the USA was ranked 5 or 6. (this was a week before or after seeding). By FIFA's measuring, the gap between no. 2 (Spain) and no. 3 (Portugal) is the same as between Portugal and no. 17 Mexico. Surely the top two teams are not that much better than the others rounding out the top 20. In case of interest: http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ra...llranking.html

Football is football as noted by master Johan Cruyff - essentially, due to the characteristics of the game, chances for upsets are numerous when compared with other sports (perhaps) (although the list of Champions seems to show that it's the most solid teams that raise the Cup). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup

I think England have a chance of course as do all of the good teams, it's just that I don't see them measuring up position for position against the best teams. At this point, I'm thinking Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Holland. After that, it's a free for all 20 teams deep with a couple of general layers.

My out-of-nowhere semifinalist is Slovenia, qualifying first out of Group C, followed by England.

ron, thanks for the update. If the US remains without those players (Dempsey in particular, who seems to know how to score), it could be a bleak trip to South Africa.

Does anyone know of a good online bracket that we could use to host an AppleNova pool (should anyone be interested)?

Last edited by AWR : 2010-05-03 at 08:54. Reason: clarity, not that it's any better!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-05-03, 07:06

AWR, it was the last WC where USA was ranked high in the standings. I don't know if they got up to 5 or 6 but I'm pretty positive they were at least top 8. Those rankings don't mean much anyway, you're right.

I'd definitely get in on a league or something if they have one. Never heard of one personally but there's leagues for everything.

@yontsey
CFP

2010-05-03, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Those rankings don't mean much anyway
Out of interest, why?
CFP

2010-05-03, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
At this point, I'm thinking Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Holland. After that, it's a free for all 20 teams deep with a couple of general layers.
This sounds about right to me.

But remember, write the Germans off at your peril! Vorsprung durch technik
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-03, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
AWR, it was the last WC where USA was ranked high in the standings. I don't know if they got up to 5 or 6 but I'm pretty positive they were at least top 8. Those rankings don't mean much anyway, you're right.

I'd definitely get in on a league or something if they have one. Never heard of one personally but there's leagues for everything.
I remember now (I think!), they were as high as 6 but fell to 9 or 10 just before the draw. Quantitative number crunching aside, the US has never been near the 6th best team in the world qualitatively (in spite of all my support!). The only meaningful use for the ranking is seeding the teams for the WC, which essential means the top 8 ranked teams will not meet in the Group stage - which of course is better for the tournament. I think the US was the highest ranked team in pot two for the draw. The rankings are not without any merit, I think, but should be taken with a large dose of salt. Just two cents.

I'll look out for a format we could use; there must be one sponsored by a UK newspaper.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-03, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
This sounds about right to me.

But remember, write the Germans off at your peril! Vorsprung durch technik
Ja wolt!!

In the luckiest call of my life (wish it had been worth more ), in my office pool I picked Spain 1 - Germany 0 in the Euro 2008 final, having also picked David Villa as the top scorer.

That basically uses up my good picks for a while.

Quick edit: I could see an African team doing well too. Côte d'Ivoire is in a tough group but damn they've some top players.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-05-03, 08:40

I usually tune in for the World Cup, but this year, as Philly finally has it's own MLS team, I've been keeping up with soccer a bit more.

Can't wait until June. I'ts going to be crayz

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-05-03, 08:51

At least it's still the same time's as last world cup. Not the best, but I can have coffee and donuts and beer with my matches.

Korea sucked because I was up at 4-5am watching matches and lord knows you can't watch a match without libations.

@yontsey
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2010-05-03, 11:31

I'm going for Holland again, my go to team when Northern Ireland don't qualify (you may be surprised that doesn't happen too often )

Spain again look great too.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-05-03, 13:17

It's been a busy year, so I've fallen behind in following world soccer.
Don't know who is best placed to win. But my team is always Brazil, so it doesn't matter.

Since the Cup is usually hard to get on DVD, what's the best way to burn games as we watch?
Is there a DVD recorder I can sync to my iCal schedule?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-05-04, 00:16

Coolest sports commercial ever. Go US, Go Orange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzTTdEIrvs
beardedmacuser

2010-05-04, 04:53

It's hard to see past Spain FTW. Maradona will do something crazy to derail Argentina. After that you can never rule out the likes of Brazil, Germany and Italy. The sooner England are knocked out the better, and the press here can focus on the other teams. I'm a big fan of The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast; well worth checking out.
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-05, 14:53

Spain kick arse. Torres for the total win. Although he's injured. Damn it. I love him. In a completely gay way. Although Spain are basically all as good as he is. I hope they win.

Dunga's got Brazil playing like Italy, they say: function, skill, pragmatism, defending... snooze. Although I fancy that in the limelight, Brazil will turn it on and be hilariously good, as they usually do.

England are not good enough. They'll probably draw with the USA, but squeak through to the semi-finals before losing on penalties, as they always do. To Argentina. Who will defy all the odds, and reality, and the fact that Maradonna is insane, and lose in the final to Spain. (This will not happen: I think they're worse than England.)

I fucking hate Christiano Ronaldo, although something tells me this miiiight be Portugal's year.

Ghana might surprise, this being Africa, although I fancy that Spain, Brazil and the Netherlands would eat them. The Netherlands won't win, because, like England, they always lunch it when they have to dig deepest.

I think that covers all the stereotypes and current football talking points.

I CANNOT WAIT. The World Cup is the best.

gibberish
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-05, 14:59

Oh oh oh oh ... I predict a Portugal / Brazil final!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-05-05, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post
It's no Stanley Cup but it's right up there.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-06, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Coolest sports commercial ever. Go US, Go Orange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzTTdEIrvs
Nice.
ronmexico

2010-05-06, 20:37

Quote:
The Euro is the best...the World Cup is second.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2010-05-06, 20:44

If we're talking best soccer ad, this is it. Honorable mention to the Bono WC2010 ads though.

Really hoping that Africa can show well in this World Cup, but I'm thinking that the European drought away from home soil will continue and Brazil or Argentina will lift the Jules Rimet this time around. Go US, Go Germany!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-07, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
The Euro is the best...the World Cup is second.
Explain!
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2010-05-07, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
If we're talking best soccer ad, this is it.
That's good. I'm still partial to this France Telecom "Border Football" one, though.
ronmexico

2010-05-07, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post
Explain!
I love the World Cup...don't get me wrong, I just happen to like the Euro a little better. The tournament has more interesting teams. I don't get particularly excited in the first few rounds of the WC when Egypt is playing Slovenia. It's also easier for an American to travel to Europe...as opposed to Korea or South Africa.
CFP

2010-05-30, 09:28

So, England limp away from their last WC warm-up game with an unconvincing 2-1 win against Japan, having failed to score (Japan scored two own-goals) and having missed a penalty. If we had been up against a team like Argentina, Brazil, or any other main European team, we would have been annihilated.

I'm starting to believe the US may win the first game by a fair margin, and I'll finish the WC with a fair stomach ulcer.

FFS!

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-30, 11:02

Well, I just saw Denmark obliterate Senegal a couple of days ago, and they looked... incredible. I know it was only a friendly, but Denmark were really sharp, skilful and annoyingly good.

I hate to say it... but the USA always give England a really hard time. And if they maintain this form, Denmark could give anyone a run for their money.

Balls. The England group's going to be a bastard.

gibberish