User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 17 of 49 First Previous 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21  Next Last Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-10, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
So, I have two unpleasant pieces of information to share.

1. billybobsky, your cloak of darkness is bordering on becoming a public menace. Kraetos got blown up by a creeper in the spawn area immediately after respawning, and the blast took out part of the safe house. When I went over there later to investigate and rebuild, I found that hostiles were wandering in from the shadow area just beyond the well-illuminated spawn area. I temporarily erected a dirt wall to hold them back. During broad daylight, I was attacked by two creepers, three spiders, two burning skeletons, and a burning zombie while working on it. Please do something on your side to keep the hordes of darkness under control!

2. Someone is stealing from the Money Bin. Some time between Jan 5 and Jan 7, at least 10 gold blocks went missing from the vault. Theft from anyone is unacceptable. Yes, I can spawn more resources, but how are we to know others aren't being raided too? I urge whoever did this to come forward or at least private message me. If I have to find out the hard way, I'm handing out permanent bans.

That is all.
Wait, who would steal gold blocks? That doesn't really make sense. Gold is basically useless

Last night when you weren't online I borrowed some diamond because I needed a diamond pick to move some obsidian around. Sorry. My plan was to replace it the next time I go mining.

But gold? WTF?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-10, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
Creeper spawner!? I didn't even know Creeper dungeons existed!

Holy shit.

torifile: Spawners are objects that are only found in dungeons, that continuously spit out one type of mob, dependent on the spawner. There are spawners for Skeletons, Spiders, Zombies, and apparently Creepers too.

"Dungeons" are rooms randomly placed on the map, usually below ground, that are identified by naturally-occuring cobblestone and especially by mossy cobblestone. Dungeons are the only place mossy cobble exists.

Dungeons generally have 2 small chests filled with various loot, such as redstone, iron, buckets, wheat, bread, etc. These chests are also the only place where saddles and apples can be found.
Ah. I think I've run into one of those on my map. Now the question is how I deal with it. Can they be destroyed or are they indestructible?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

arteggio

2011-01-10, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Wait, who would steal gold blocks? That doesn't really make sense. Gold is basically useless

But gold? WTF?
So I've learnt in my first week of MC.

I found my way up in the money bin before I really got the gist of mining and its procurable metals, and, seeing the diving platform, thought I'd just dive in and take some... Not really thoughtful of me. I just saw a lot of it, and applied my real worldiness to MC, thinking it would have a lot of use or some mystical value or something. Er, no.

Not worth more than decoration in a vault, it seems... Definitely wasn't worth the trouble, or plundering. (I apologized to Brad; and to everyone else, I most definitely haven't plundered anything from you.)

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-10, 14:35

Immigration control. I demand a wall be put up. Along the entire border with Bob'sexico. And deploy the National Guard, at least.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-10, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Immigration control. I demand a wall be put up. Along the entire border with Bob'sexico. And deploy the National Guard, at least.
Quote:
border with Bob'sexico.
Quote:
Bob'sexico.
DO.

NOT.

WANT.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-01-10, 15:07

Shit, I was hoping to avoid minecraft. This might change things a bit.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-10, 16:48

Once he plunges the world into darkness it will be just like the Matrix. Don't say I didn't warn you. We need to cut this off at the head, or nip it in the bud, whichever cliche you prefer.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-10, 16:55

Quote:
Once he plunges the world into darkness it will be just like the Matrix. Don't say I didn't warn you. We need to cut this off at the head, or nip it in the bud, whichever cliche you prefer.
But then where will be we build high capacity, 24/7 mob traps?

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-01-10 at 19:04.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-10, 16:57

Underground! Its so simple.

For the record I'm just being facetious.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-10, 17:53

Wait, though. Seriously. Mobs spawn up to 24 blocks away from the player. So...

1. Make an underground cavern 49x49x3.
2. Make a 3x3 island surrounded by a 1x1x4 water trap.
3. Extend the water flow 3 squares in each direction. (More is unnecessary and will reduce the amount of spawnable land area.)
4. Stand in middle of island.
5. Profit?

Floor is gonna have to be obsidian or creeper/skelly confrontations will put holes in it real fast. Will mobs spawn on obsidian?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-10, 19:21

What is BB's darkness thing supposed to do?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-10, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
That's also a valid question... What is the purpose of the Sky Ranch Bobsky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Wait, though. Seriously. Mobs spawn up to 24 blocks away from the player. So...

1. Make an underground cavern 49x49x3.
2. Make a 3x3 island surrounded by a 1x1x4 water trap.
3. Extend the water flow 3 squares in each direction. (More is unnecessary and will reduce the amount of spawnable land area.)
4. Stand in middle of island.
5. Profit?

Floor is gonna have to be obsidian or creeper/skelly confrontations will put holes in it real fast. Will mobs spawn on obsidian?
I've been contemplating something similar. I've already begun an underground cavern for a Bobsky style mob trap, but I hadn't intended to modify the design to allow for a "bait island." I was under the impression that the existing design is more than capable and adding the "bait island," as you point out, will lead to creeper - skeletor confrontations. I'm not sure the island is worth it, when I could just park my character under the chute of Bobsky's design and bugger off while my avatar collects drops...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-10, 20:00

709, Go for it! Floating islands are ALWAYS welcomed! ^_^

In fact, waaaaaaay down the road...I'd kinda like to do the City In the Sky temple from Twilight Princess. It would be pretty epic.

Yes, that spot in question has a zombie spawner, but there are no creeper spawners to my knowledge. I know of several more spawners in that desert, and I plan to find them. I've heard several spots near the surface with 6-7 of the same mob, so I know more exist. I got saddles from the zombie spawner loot, so I can do some epic pig riding, LOL! I *have* heard of the possibility of "taming" a spider in the daytime during a future update. The Skelly riders gave Notch the idea of having a pet, so to speak.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-10, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Ah. I think I've run into one of those on my map. Now the question is how I deal with it. Can they be destroyed or are they indestructible?
You can incapacitate the spawner with light by throwing down torches near it, or you can destroy it with a tool. Beware that it takes a lot of damage before breaking, and unless you light up the area, more baddies will likely spawn while you're attacking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
We need to collect any and all saddles we find from now on for pig-back jousting matches in the arena. Agreed?
Except that in SMP, you can't see other players riding pigs correctly, IIRC.

Also, cake.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-10, 23:01

Sorry guys, but I'm going to need my cobblestone now. You'll know the project when you see it. Anyone have sand?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-11, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Quote:
That's also a valid question... What is the purpose of the Sky Ranch Bobsky?

What's it do? Does anything in Minecraft do much? The Sky Ranch is where my abode will reside. I wanted to make a completely contained floating estate replete with hills and lakes, gardens and forestland.

There was to be a back story about the reclusive family living on the estate, the decedents of Captain Henry Bobsky, hero of the first creeper wars, later war profiteer, land pirate, and founder of the Mushroom Mountain Mines.

And yet... practical considerations made me realize that plunging some part of the world into perpetual night without significantly improving the land underneath through either lighting (a significant hurdle made easier by deforesting the area, but when all was said and done, I feared a software update where torches need to be relit sending that part of the world back to darkness) or, as the plan is now, a series of mob traps that are freely usable and safely interconnected taking advantage of all that night. In a massive irony, the areas adjacent to the darkest part of the map may soon be the safest as mobs spawning within the shadow of the estate will be unable to escape from the virtual bath tub I am building around it.

So... To get to the short of it. The sky ranch, and the area beneath are the working area for my current project. That it is on a massive scale has not escaped my notice, I am still collecting resources needed simply to build the grounds while pushing forward on mob traps and the like. I started the project and located it in an area of the map that was devoid of activity -- and this remains significantly the case still, possibly due to the looming shadow, but also because there is little to no water in the area, and I suspect that people like building things near coasts.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-11, 03:25

I need more sand. Cobblestone is up for grabs again for those who need/want it. I need glass to complete my project. The Stairs of Insanity now run from the bedrock of the world to the "glass ceiling" of the world! Please do watch you step should you choose to visit.

Also, my place is not a barn. Please close the door behind you. Creepers spawn near my place and like to hang out near my door. Hence the horrid terrain at the enterance.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

arteggio

2011-01-11, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I need more sand.
There's a beach around north of your area, a little west of my skyscraper (and which can be seen from the lighthouse), where I've been getting my sand. I have the majority of what I'll need, so you're free to help carve it away.

I also have a chest's worth of cobblestone that's open to others at the entrance level of the skyscraper (back near the stairwell).

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-01-11, 13:46

My pyramid is coming along nicely.

It's about 20 blocks tall and 39 blocks long. It's the first of 3. I've got my wall built around it to let me work at night and it does a pretty good job keeping out the mobs. I'm thinking that my next pyramid will go on the right side of this one since it's less hilly. Leveling the ground has been the most time consuming part of the process. That and making enough smooth stone from cobblestone.

Right beneath the pyramid is a *huge* series of very large caverns. Big rooms that are probably 10-15 tall and 20 long caverns. Lots of good stuff down there but lots of mobs, too. I've been slowly lighting the area and trying to close off parts so I can mine in peace.

zippy
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 16:42

Which one of you is going to build a Verizon Minecraft tower?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-11, 17:22

Where was the entrance? The first mine I started began in the little tunnel between the Boathouse and the Spawn, but aside from that probably meets your criteria: pretty random, zigzag, not heavy denuded of resources etc. If that's it, help yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Ok. So Kraetos and I explored a bizarre 'mine' under the skyranch that was clearly human made, but not designed to extract resources as near as we could figure. It passed a sizable lava pool which was perhaps it's only interesting feature besides the incredibly awkward zigzag design, perhaps best described as a random walk. Anyone want to claim it? The entrance will be cast in complete darkness soon, so the owner may want find a new way in. There was some coal and other resources near the entrance -- if the owner doesn't come forward, i think they are up for grabs...

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-11, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Where was the entrance? The first mine I started began in the little tunnel between the Boathouse and the Spawn, but aside from that probably meets your criteria: pretty random, zigzag, not heavy denuded of resources etc. If that's it, help yourself!
The entrance is well way the f out there. It is under the western edge of the skyranch, near pretty much nothing. Anchorage may be the nearest other settlement, but is still probably 300 blocks away... Hmm... Since no one has called it, I suppose the resources are free to everyone.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-12, 00:19

Holy crap. Me, RowdyScot, Brad, turtle, and InvaderJak just explored an EPIC cave system under Parapa Palace that stretches almost all the way to Flaming Mountain (and we still haven't finished exploring it yet!).

Apparently, we spent over five hours exploring the sucker before calling it a night after I missed a step and fell into a lava pool, leaving RowdyScot down there by himself. That thing is no place for a solo run, I'll say that.

Brad, is there any way you can generate an image of the portion we've actually explored so far?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-01-12, 00:22

That was AWESOME! Came out of that with 22 diamond, 150 redstone, 223 iron, 62 gold, and a nice chunk of Skyranch. The 43 obsidian was nice, too.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-12, 00:39

It was fun while I was there. In fact, it's pretty amazing how fun this game is considering what we are actually doing. I didn't get anything major while I was there though. Some coal and redstone.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-12, 00:57

We're all thinking the same thing: you're eventually going to need a dedicated forum for Minecraft. Land rights issues, building techniques, adventure stories, etc. And a sticky with the laws (and mods) of the land.

Maybe not yet, but it had to be said.

It's the Declaration of Minedependance.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-01-12, 21:15

Ugh. Invisible mob killing me every time I go to retrieve my stuff from one of my caverns. So frustrating. I'm God on my server so I can just give myself the stuff I lost but it's still annoying.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-01-13, 00:06

Server is refusing connection. Are we down at the moment?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-13, 00:07

Restarting...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-01-13, 03:38

So I've laid out the area for the bear flag when I can get to that, and did more work with Parapa's lighting (wanted to dig more out for B2, but another cave and loads of skellies and zombies forced me to block it off and retreat). Hoping to finish the current section of B2 when possible.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards