User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

"Coder's Block" - Very cool blog article, and very relevant on 2nd Jan!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Coder's Block" - Very cool blog article, and very relevant on 2nd Jan!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-01, 21:25

Quote:
December 31, 2006
Overcoming Coder’s Block
For my entire programming career (that is to say, my whole life), I’ve been searching for a solution to what I call “Coder’s block”. Roughly half of the days I sit down in front of my editor I find that I simply can’t get started. I’d imagine anyone who has been coding for longer than a week will agree that the most difficult problem is often simply finding out where you (or the guy before you) left off yesterday, last month, last year, or before you took out the garbage. Once you know where to start, the how falls into place by itself.

I can only speak for myself, but during this reacquaintance stage I’ll often get distracted by just about anything. Usually the culprit is Bloglines, Thunderbird, Gaim, or any other application that pops up to notify me of something going on. Giving into these temptations is suicide. I can literally get sucked in and spend an entire day accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Writer’s block is easy by comparison - simple techniques like freewriting and mindmapping can help to keep you focused and free of distraction. But what techniques can be of use when writing software?
Insert 'digg', 'Ars', 'AN' etc. etc. where he refers to Bloglines, but it's pretty true stuff.. case in point is that I am posting this when I have a hole day of work to do, and YOU are reading it!!

Rest of the article and suggestions here...

http://skindeep.logankoester.com/ove...g-coders-block

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt