User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 19 of 25 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-11, 10:09

Thanks for letting me know about the map not updating. Every now and then the server hosting the maps stalls when syncing from the machine that makes the maps. I have to manually kill the sync processes and then it picks up again. I've done that so you will see the maps updating within the next two hours.

The old maps are standalone. I don't have the worlds (that I know of) anymore. I just took the last map generated and put it in the folder for all to enjoy from the web. I might have some of the old ones in an archive, but I've pruned a lot over the years so I'm not thinking I have anything left that we don't play anymore. I did/do still have the FTB VM I think though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-14, 00:11

Maps are going to fall behind for a little bit. Maybe in the next few days I'll get them running again. I've take Beast offline since he's being replaced and with new and unnamed machine. Once the maps are running on this machine I'll be posting the updates.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-11-14, 14:36

Thank you for the notice, T! And as always, we're super grateful for all your efforts in keeping the Minecraft server(s) running!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-15, 20:58

I enjoy it and am glad to help out.

So the maps are running again on the new machine. Not sure how long it will take but it is going to be a complete render since there was a change in the config and the cache is discarded. They will update once they finish though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-17, 23:08

So I'm generating the maps manually still on the new machine and am beginning to sync them to the public website. Don't be shocked if you see the maps looking like parts are missing for the next day or so while it syncs. There should be a full map by this time tomorrow that is updated and then ongoing.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-18, 12:44

Wait! If my part is missing, how will I know where I am? Or how to get back to where I wasn't?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-24, 00:00

I mentioned in another thread that I was holding off on updating the maps until the new trim was completed. I do not intend to archive the exploded world as it is right now at this point. Does anyone really want me to archive it for any reason? The final 1.10 world that is.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-01, 17:01

I'm finally stopping to make the maps happen again. Sorry for the really long delay, lots have been going on in my life as I'm sure much in yours. I'll post here once they have processed. Of course, you'll be able to see them live once they process too.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-01, 19:03

So maps are still broken for an unknown reason. The error though, in case Brad peeks in is:
Code:
java.lang.NullPointerException at tectonicus.blockTypes.Skull.addEdgeGeometry(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.blockTypes.Skull.addInteriorGeometry(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.Chunk.createGeometry(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.world.World.draw(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.world.World.draw(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.TileRenderer.renderBaseTiles(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.TileRenderer.output(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.TectonicusApp.run(Unknown Source) at tectonicus.TectonicusApp.main(Unknown Source)
I'm going to try again with the default texture pack and see how it goes.

Edit: not working yet. What new skulls have been added recently?

Last edited by turtle : 2017-01-01 at 21:45.
¡Damned!

2017-01-02, 09:44

Nothing here other than a couple of new Wither Skellie Skulls in the Nether. Could the Dragon Skulls be giving it problems again? I thought that got sorted out with the End map, but the skulls have been behaving weirdly in 1.11 (backwards textures in chests/hotbar).

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-02, 11:40

I don't know which skull is giving the problem but I can at least narrow it down. I was able to do a subset render near the Space Invaders and will be placing skulls there and rendering again and again to find which skull is causing the issue. I have submitted a bug report, but so far I'm the only one who has submitted one with this issue so I don't know how fast it will be addressed.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-02, 12:42

So far the Creeper, Zombie, Skeleton and Wither Skeleton heads all cause problems. I haven't tried Dragon or other skulls yet.
¡Damned!

2017-01-02, 12:55

Hmm. Maybe it does have to do with the backwards heads in 1.11 (MC-109831). It's been fixed in 1.11.1, so maybe the move to 1.11.2 would fix the map issues?

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-02, 13:21

You might be right. I've changed the minecraft.jar to be 1.11.2 version to see how that does. I haven't played the game with these world files with that jar yet, so I don't know if that will matter. I'll look at upgrading to 1.11.2 today if Brad doesn't beat me to it.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2017-01-15, 09:25

Looks like maps are updated with the new stuff. Nice Turtle!

As an aside do we really have that much bat-crap of exploration already?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-15, 09:46

Yes, the maps are live again! I forgot to post that so thank you for noticing and mentioning it here.

Yes, the expansion is so massive that I'm getting disk alerts after every backup that the VM is almost full. Thankfully the purging is automated, but that means I'm getting alerted and then 20 minutes later being alerted that the alert cleared. The world is 3GB now, Nether and The End included.

¡Damned!

2017-01-15, 10:18

In my defense, the new Exploration Maps are really friggin addictive.

Being able to fly now doesn't help with that either. I do try to check the XZ coords if I feel like I'm getting way out, and turn back if I see I'm around 10k. It looks a lot farther on the map than it feels!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2017-01-15 at 10:38.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-15, 21:38

Well, to put things in perspective about what it does with the map generation:
Code:
20170115_203323 2 hours, 53 minutes and 15 seconds elapsed.
That is with zero blocks changed and no activity on the server. It takes that long to verify all the map chunks *without* any changes.

To be clear on my part, I don't care about the current size of the world. I get the fun of exploring and don't mind in the least.

It is the computer that does the work and it can handle it. I really don't want it growing larger with the current map generation interval of every 6 hours. If I move to twice or even once a day it will be fine to have a huge world. The other issue is the storage on the location machine. As it is, I'm going to knock down the number of local saves on the VM to stop the flood of email for the disk space alerts. This can pose issues if we have to restore for any reason, but only an inconvenience rather than prevent restoring.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-18, 21:11

Ok, maps are running regularly again though still not automated.

I'm going to find the time to see if I can sort out headless running of the maps in the future. In the mean time, I'll just initiate the map generation manually like I have been.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-02-08, 08:43

I'm in the process of moving the maps from Volstagg to a VM running them instead. This meant running a new map from scratch. This world is huge!
Code:
20170208_070058 79 hours, 10 minutes and 17 seconds elapsed.
I actually log the time using bash's SECONDS variable to know how long the whole process takes now. Hopefully when I make the switch from Volstagg to the VM you guys won't notice any difference at all. Maybe I'll get it automated in the process and they will update four times a day on their own again.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-02-19, 11:53

I'm rearranging the backend stuff for the maps this weekend. The URL is going to stay the same but the process will be better on my side. This means there is going to be some lag in updates to the map being visible to users.

I'm going to have the syncing to the web server automated still but haven't been able to get the generation process to be automated. I'm still working on that part. For now though, they shouldn't be too out of date.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-02, 08:42

Maps got corrupted somehow recently. Thankfully it's my backend stuff so it won't effect what's public. Sadly though, it'll be a few days before it's completely built it's cache and completed it's first render. As the generation happens though, the public map will update based on the 3AM backup today.

Edit: I was hopeful but wrong. I'm pretty certain the maps will disappear while they are being built. Some thing trashed my local store bad and the maps are so large now that I can't just duplicate them. On the bright side, I'm using the 9AM backup to generate the maps now.

Last edited by turtle : 2017-03-02 at 08:59.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-04, 00:44

So there ended up being a change of plans for the maps again. The VM that runs the maps now crashed and I had to restore from snapshot. This snapshot happened recently so I ended up not having to start the maps from scratch and was able to complete the update in just over 9 hours. The maps should be up-to-date now and are running again as I type.

¡Damned!

2017-03-04, 11:25

Thanks again T for keeping this whole thing running smoothly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-04, 15:15

Glad to do it and that it is still being used.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-20, 10:31

So the map making VM didn't like the service I did on the host machine. I'm working to create a new map generating machine and hopefully be able to access the drive from the now dead one. If that works like I hope then I'll be able to pick up where I left off. If it doesn't work though, it will be days of a new initial render now that our world folder is over 2.8GB.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-14, 16:24

I'm still working on a replacement. I'm trying to make something happen that is more challenging that I expected. Currently I'm not able to revive the old map maker machine so it's going to take a bit to make happen.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2017-04-15, 09:35

No worries Turtle.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-25, 14:13

So I'm working up a new map generation now. I'm hoping this will work out and be stable long term for us. I know it has been taking forever to get this updated.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-27, 16:48

I'm going to be able to make the maps a cron job again! I finally have it working in "small scale" and will make the maps automated again once this initial full render has completed. YAY!

Just for a little status update, we are about half way through the initial render.