Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Help me spend $2000

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me spend $2000
HOM
The Elder™

2006-05-23, 12:51

My 12" PowerBook crashes anytime the back of the screen is touched. I'm looking to replace it, but I'm really torn about getting a MacBook so I've devised two plans and I need some advice on which path to take. I would have waited for a sub 4lbs MacBook mini, but now that the family is 'now complete' it's time to make a choice.

Plan 1)
MacBook
Treo 700p

The MacBook is too big to be an everyday everywhere laptop. It's just too heavy and the battery will not last all day. I'd use the Treo for light out of the office work so I don't have to schlep the MacBook.

Plan 2)
Lenovo ThinkPad X60
Samsung A900

The ThinkPad is 3.1 lbs and the battery lasts over 7 hours under normal usage. I'd use the EDVO modem on the Samsung phone so I'm not at the mercy of finding a WiFi hotspot.

Some things to consider. Specs on the laptops are not really an issue. They are all but identical and a little bit of HD space here or ram there isn't make or break for me. Secondly, OSX vs XP isn't that big a deal either. OSX is better, but I can live with XP.

What should I do?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-23, 13:02

Well, since you say OS choice isn't a big issue, I will point out that the MacBook should be faster and overall more acceptable as an "everyday" computer. Having an ultraportable is nice, but it's worst when you're at your desk.

Also, even though the X60 is only 3 lbs, it's still a lot heavier and bigger than a Treo. Of course, it's also a lot more capable

I can't say which is better. It depends on you. Either way I'd probably want to get an external screen as well, but with the MacBook you'd be more able to live without one.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-05-23, 13:07

I vote for Plan 1.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-23, 13:12

Something to consider:

MBP is only .4 more lbs over MB; and you can get refurbished 1.83 ghz for 1,699.99.

While that probably may not satisfy your need for a ultraportablity, it's another option that you could consider. I realize that more HD/RAM isn't make/break deal for you, but I'd imagine that a MBP would last much longer than MB.

HTH.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-23, 13:23

Plan 1 for sure. You get the bost of both operating systems and the greatness of the MacBook!
MagSafe

2006-05-23, 13:27

My brother has a ThinkPad, and the build quality is awful compared to my iBook.

One thing that is certainly a big downfall is the power cable, every time the laptop moves the ThinkPad beeps to say it has been removed, when in actual fact it is has only slightly adjusted to a new position within the port.

In both hardware and software the ThinkPad is just no where near as well built and reliable as my iBook.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-23, 14:36

If you can't decide, I can take the money off your hands.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-23, 16:11

The ThinkPad X series is actually really nice - at least it was, last time I paid any attention to it (the X41 era, back when IBM made ThinkPads). I haven't heard that the build quality has decreased since Lenovo bought the line, but I'm sure it's possible. But I've still heard good things about the X60.

A long time ago, my "ideal" plan would be to get an iBook (for MacOS) and a ThinkPad X40 or X41 (for everything else) - together, they'd still weigh about the same as my old notebook!

Of course, Boot Camp rendered that plan completely obsolete. The MacBook is even available in ThinkPad black!

But as for you...I can't say. I'd go for Plan 1, but no one else can decide for you.

Oh, and the 700p is hot.

Not Motorola Q hot, but you don't want to be stuck paying through the nose for Verizon's data rates (or do you?).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-05-28, 16:13

It depends on the defintion of "light out of the office work." If that consists mostly of eMail, then I think the Treo 700p will be fine.

However, the X60 is a nice piece of hardware. I don't trust Windows with anything, its just too unreliable. But if you don't have a problem with Windows, then the X60 might be a good choice.

I will agree with Banana, though, mostly because with the MPB you have the ExpressCard slot, meaning you could get an EVDO card for it. An ExpressCard 34 EVDO card should be available in the coming months.

The other thing I will say is that my PowerBook is in no way too heavy or big for me to carry around. I have a case with a shoulder strap and a lot of the time I don't notice its even there. However, I am used to carrying around 2 or 3 textbooks...

If it were me? I would go Treo 700p with a refurb MPB.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.