AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Need a new point and shoot for my wife

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need a new point and shoot for my wife
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-20, 23:44

Thing is it has to have good (fast) shutter response and recovery. My 4 year old dropped our Canon SX 110 IS and killed it tonight so we are back to using the old standby PowerShot A620 for this holiday season until i get it replaced. Sure I can just go get the SX 130 IS but the thing about the 110 is that it can take up to 10 seconds between shots! You feel like an eternity passes between shots. With little ones that means you've missed a whole lot of shots.

So what's out there that has a fast recovery time. In general I've loved Canon cameras and might have just been spoiled by the A620 which would recover in 2 - 5 seconds. Other than the shutter time we loved the SX 110. What are some good options I should look at?

Easy, image stabilization, long lens, semi-compact, fast recovery between shots, video recording.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-12-21, 01:12

How much are you looking to spend? A Canon S95 could be a good choice.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-12-21, 01:15

Must... bite... tongue...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-21, 01:45

Price doesn't really matter as long as she's happy with the results. Sure I don't want to spend more than I have to, but $500 would be ok if it does what we need.

Edit: S95 looks good other than I'd personally miss the 10x optical zoom from the 110. Not sure if my wife would actually miss it though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-21, 02:01

How about the SX210IS? This looks like it might fit the bill.

Edit: Well, Best Buy reviews on it aren't very favorable. It looks good on paper though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-12-21, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Must... bite... tongue...
It took me way too long to realize that this was referring to cameras.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-12-21, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Price doesn't really matter as long as she's happy with the results. Sure I don't want to spend more than I have to, but $500 would be ok if it does what we need.

Edit: S95 looks good other than I'd personally miss the 10x optical zoom from the 110. Not sure if my wife would actually miss it though.
If zoom range is important, also consider the Nikon S8100, which has a 10x zoom and I've heard a lot of good things about it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-21, 08:30

That one sure does have merit. Thanks. I'll look it over a little more when I get home from work today.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-21, 22:35

I ended up going with the SX130IS because it's price was good for what we were looking at. I'm still open to a different camera, but now I'm going to have to stick with this one. While we hate the shutter speed, it's just the least of all evils from what we saw in most others.

I even ordered it via Amazon. First time I forgot to use the AN link so I canceled the order and went in through the link just so AN could get the credit for the $180 I paid.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2010-12-22, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It took me way too long to realize that this was referring to cameras.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first, too.