User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Think Secret opens the MWSF floodgates (iLife, mini Mac, iWork, flash iPod)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Think Secret opens the MWSF floodgates (iLife, mini Mac, iWork, flash iPod)
Page 1 of 12 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-12-28, 21:42

Here we go...

iLife '05, Keynote 2 to debut

Those codenames at the bottom are interesting. Sounds like office productivity stuff to me.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-12-28, 21:45

To elaborate, one would refer to a "shot across the bow" of a major competitor. The other might be a reference to a weapon famously used to slay a giant.
BenRoethig

2004-12-28, 21:49

Can you say iOffice?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-28, 21:59

It says "crossbow" and "slingshot" are "Keynote-related products".

Theme collections from Apple, a la GarageBand's Jam Packs? Totally possible, I guess. OR...what if each one was a separate app, meant to go with Keynote, representing a spreadsheet and a word processor?

But that doesn't really make sense though. I prefer the theme collections angle...

And "sugar" was the other code name, at the very end of the article. What do we know about sugar? It's sweet, and you add it to stuff to make it better.

That's all I got.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-12-28, 22:04

didn't a slingshot bring down goliath?

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-28, 22:09

Yes.

From Frank777, about three posts up:

Quote:
The other might be a reference to a weapon famously used to slay a giant.
Man, you ARE getting old.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-12-28, 22:14

Not a whole lot of surprise there, but at least some confirmations (or as close to it as we'll get). Theme packs would be nice, though I'd rather see them include a sizable number in the program itself. I don't think I could see myself paying a lot for a few themes.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-12-28, 22:15

Ok, now I have to see this keynote.
I've been waiting for an AppleWorks replacement for 5 years.

Problem is, it doesn't look like they will be showing it in Markham like they usually do. There's a teaching event booked in the seminar room that day.

I don't have a satellite dish. Live Quicktime reception hasn't been good for me in the past, but may be my only option.
bwhaler

2004-12-28, 22:28

No mention of iPhoto. I really hope there is a significant update to iPhoto since it is so bad, and with iMovie you have the option of stepping up to FCE.

Either way, I have high hopes that:

1. Keynote 2 is a killer application
2. iLife 05 is a major upgrade. iLife 04 was very underwhelming
3. Apple releases a full featured word processor. Excel and FileMaker are solid, and hopefully we'll see a great Keynote 2, so the missing hole is a replacement for Word. Word printing looks like crap and is a nightmare to use. I would be psyched for Apple to release a Word Killer.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-12-28, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhaler
No mention of iPhoto. I really hope there is a significant update to iPhoto since it is so bad, and with iMovie you have the option of stepping up to FCE.

Either way, I have high hopes that:

1. Keynote 2 is a killer application
2. iLife 05 is a major upgrade. iLife 04 was very underwhelming
3. Apple releases a full featured word processor. Excel and FileMaker are solid, and hopefully we'll see a great Keynote 2, so the missing hole is a replacement for Word. Word printing looks like crap and is a nightmare to use. I would be psyched for Apple to release a Word Killer.
I doubt iPhoto will be revved much. Apple's not going to tick off Adobe and Microsoft at the same time.

Excel's not an Apple app, hence the two codenames.

Regarding Filemaker, the latest version has implemented great tech, but the program hasn't moved forward and has sacrificed Mac native technologies for cross platform ambition.

I've said this in other threads before, but Filemaker missed the boat with version 7. It went for all the buzzword technologies while forgetting to advance its ease of use. What should have been rolled out was a system whereby a Filemaker database could generate a PDF form, which could be filled out electronically and then emailed back and dragged and dropped into the database. No re-typing required. That's the next evolution of the database.

pscates: the 'Sugar' thing is stumping me as well.
Jay

2004-12-28, 22:51

The only thing I can come up with for sugar is a sweetened TextEdit so to speak. Then the other two could be theme packs or something as pscates suggested.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-28, 23:52

Since Steve Jobs likes doofy old music so much, "sugar" is probably a reference to that terrible Monkees song.

Nope. No idea. Just thinking out loud here.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-12-29, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Since Steve Jobs likes doofy old music so much, "sugar" is probably a reference to that terrible Monkees song.

Nope. No idea. Just thinking out loud here.
if you mean "sugar, sugar" that odious tune was the product of the loathsome archies, which was the number one song for the year of woodstock, 1969.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-12-29, 00:41

It seems ThinkSecret have more for us!

Headless iMac!

The crowds go wild!

Etc.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-29, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph

Headless iMac!
OMFG!

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-12-29, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph

Headless iMac!

The crowds go wild!

Etc.
that would be something....wow!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-12-29, 00:48

IF

that were true, that would be the best thing Apple's done in ages.
staph
Microbial member

2004-12-29, 00:51

To put a bit of a chill on things, what is under discussion is apparently a pretty limited machine: for your USD500 you get a 1.25Ghz G4, a Combo drive, and seriously limited expandability. They didn't say anything about PCI slots or video upgradeability, but somehow I doubt it. As described, it sounds like an iBook motherboard, with a desktop optical and hard drive, and no monitor. They may even make money on it!

Frankly, if it's as cheap as billed, I don't think it will have problems snagging the "cheap-arse" crowd.
FearlessLeader

2004-12-29, 00:56

ooooh ... wonder if it'll be a cube? :-)
staph
Microbial member

2004-12-29, 00:59

Well, physically, it sounds flat and wide from the description (TS talk about putting it on it's side, or underneath a monitor).

Metaphorically, it couldn't possibly be the same débâcle as the cube at the price. You'd bloody hope not, if the platform is to have any future beyond its current tiny niche.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-12-29, 01:04

Why would it be the best thing Apple's done in ages? Look at what the article is saying.

Apple is motivated by the iPod ($249-$599) to sell a $499 iMac? I don't think so. iPod owners are willing to spend more on a machine. Potential switchers might get the wrong impression when they use a Mac with yesterday's specs. Bargain hunters are going to keep looking at $499 3 GHz Dells. iPod owners are not bargain hunters. This doesn't make any sense to me...UNLESS margins on this thing are going to be super-duper.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-29, 01:06

It doesn't matter. Everyone here will complain because it won't have any AGP or PCI slots. Still, it would be really cool. I'd strongly consider buying one. I mean, it doesn't actually take much to run OS X nicely. Just a fast G4, a Quartz Extreme video card, and 512 MB of RAM. Of course you'll have to buy extra RAM yourself since Apple will never provide enough. And they may even provide a lousy 5400 RPM drive like they do in the eMac, but I'm sure you'll be able to replace the HD fairly easily too.

All they need to do to make this a hit is ADVERTISE IT.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2004-12-29, 01:11

The Second Coming of the LC ii
staph
Microbial member

2004-12-29, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
It doesn't matter. Everyone here will complain because it won't have any AGP or PCI slots. Still, it would be really cool. I'd strongly consider buying one. I mean, it doesn't actually take much to run OS X nicely. Just a fast G4, a Quartz Extreme video card, and 512 MB of RAM.
I agree.

Although I wouldn't buy one for myself (my aging MDD will be replaced by a dual-processor Mac at some point…), I'll certainly be recommending it to cash-strapped friends and family, and my rather well-off brother who's considering whether he wants to expand to Mac (to complement his Solaris, Debian and Windows boxes).

And as a sandbox for experimenting PC users, it's pretty low-risk… and surely they'd realise that at the price, they're not getting the absolutely best experience money can buy? How stupid can they be?
flail

2004-12-29, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Why would it be the best thing Apple's done in ages? Look at what the article is saying.

Apple is motivated by the iPod ($249-$599) to sell a $499 iMac? I don't think so. iPod owners are willing to spend more on a machine. Potential switchers might get the wrong impression when they use a Mac with yesterday's specs. Bargain hunters are going to keep looking at $499 3 GHz Dells. iPod owners are not bargain hunters. This doesn't make any sense to me...UNLESS margins on this thing are going to be super-duper.
I completely agree with this post. It just doesn't seem like something for Apple to do--being known for their all-in-one approach for home machines.

Just wondering... What is TS's track record when it comes to these things from anonymous sources?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-29, 01:21

Generally pretty good. They almost never just make shit up. There's no guarantee on any rumor of course, but TS wouldn't have posted that based on evidence that they don't find convincing. They should at least be in the ballpark with this one, if not spot-on.
staph
Microbial member

2004-12-29, 01:29

Yeah, TS generally don't use phrases like "highly reliable sources have confirmed to Think Secret" or "a source close to Apple" unless they feel they are justified. I'd say it's very likely the product is being developed — the only doubts I'd have are if it really will ever be released, and at what price.

If you want shonky rumours, you should check out MOSR.

Last edited by staph : 2004-12-29 at 01:37.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-12-29, 01:31

I think it will sell hugely. Remember, a 1.25 GHz G4 is not a slow machine, but for Apple to be able to sell a processor that they've used for a while, they'll definitely be making a boatload on the sale.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-29, 01:33

Headless iMac around $500 = THE BEST remaining method of regaining some marketshare over the next few years. Not a lot, but enough to greatly increase Apple's user base overall. Way to go, Apple (if they come through that is)!

Hopefully the specs will run close to 1.5GHz and 60GB drive at least. It's got to be able to run many games nicely, if not all the Halos and CODs of the world.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2004-12-29, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene

Maybe the headless iMac isn't for the $250-$500 iPod crowd. Maybe it is for the $99 flash-Pod crowd.

Nick