I've caught up with everything that looks interesting to me here

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I've caught up with everything that looks interesting to me here
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-08-05, 10:52

and there's no new posts to read

such a miserable feeling. I need a life. Or another website with which to waste time at work. I should try to work more Ws into sentences...
ronmexico

2009-08-05, 11:09

That is a frustrating feeling...to finish frequenting your familiar sites to find that there is nothing fun to flip through for now. How is that for the "f's"?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2009-08-05, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
That is a frustrating feeling...to finish frequenting your familiar sites to find that there is nothing fun to flip through for now. How is that for the "f's"?
not bad, but I just realized mine's a fragment, not an actual sentence
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-08-05, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
not bad, but I just realized mine's a fragment, not an actual sentence
Don't delve down into those details (D's are covered).
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-08-05, 11:52

Quote:
and there's no new posts to read

such a miserable feeling. I need a life. Or another website with which to waste time at work. I should try to work more Ws into sentences...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Don't delve down into those details (D's are covered).
Always available... archives of auld AppleNova.
¡Damned!

2009-08-05, 12:07

Midday musings of the many and multiple macgeek memberships makes for much merriment.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-08-05, 12:30

Quote:
Or another website with which to waste time at work.
reddit.

A time sink the likes of which the world has never seen before. Shit doesn't hold a candle to Digg. With Digg, you go in, you browse the hot and the top sections, you maybe peek at the comments until you realize they're really only one step above YouTube comments.

Then you go to reddit and find better articles, better organization, less manipulation by power users, and very thoughtful commentary. (Okay, not always. reddit loves their lolcats and 4chan memes.)

After you make an account, make sure you click the "more" link in the top right corner to customize your subreddits. That's half the fun!

My favorite subreddits that aren't part of the normal rotation are Marijuana, scifi, geek, and Apple. Comics can be fun too. Be wary of the Apple one, though. There's a lot of fanwank in there. Much less rational than here. I suppose it's to balance out the anti-Apple spin that the rest of reddit has.

Seriously, though. I spend way too much time on reddit when I should be working. So, don't say I didn't warn you. Maybe it's best to not click that link.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-08-05, 13:05

Sometimes I pick an old favourite member and click on their created threads. Good for finding the great old threads and having a laugh.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-08-05, 14:57

I get the same thing. Then I realized I have a problem. So now I'm disciplined, and once I'm done reading my morning sites (email, forums, google news, weather), I close my laptop. Then I'm forced to confront the day and the apparent lack on inherent meaning in the universe.

Just about that time now... *sigh*

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-08-05, 16:23

I had nothing interesting to do today either. So I thought "dude, you need a Venus Fly Trap". So I bought one. I named him Bringer of Doom.

He is my new pet and he is awesome and I love him.

@_@ Artman

2009-08-05, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Sigh. I have been a redditor for two and a half years and it was good when there were tens of thousands people there. Now there are hundreds of thousands of people and it has changed drastically. Especially during the last election and now with the health care debate going on. There have always been astroturfers, bots and shills there but now it's overrun with them. Add that to the former Diggers, Farkers and other moronic trolls... I give it another year before it implodes...

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-08-05, 16:58

I don't like Reddit because of the heinous-crazy atheist thread thing I saw on there the last few times I dropped by. It's none of my nevermind what you believe or don't believe, but when you have to continually scream how much you believe or don't believe it's tiresome and offensive.

::flush::

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2009-08-05 at 16:59. Reason: to acknowledge the awesomeness of Murbot's Bringer of Doom and to generally indicate a lingering ennui that I have felt all week
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-08-05, 18:34

Man: The principle's the same. Bleeding C-of-E. The Mohmedans don't come 'round here wavin' bells at us! We don't get Buddhists playing bagpipes in our bathroom! Or Hindus harmonizing in the hall! The Shintuists don't come here shattering sheet glass in the shithouse, shouting slogans...

Wife: All right, don't practice your alliteration on me.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-05, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Man: The principle's the same. Bleeding C-of-E. The Mohmedans don't come 'round here wavin' bells at us! We don't get Buddhists playing bagpipes in our bathroom! Or Hindus harmonizing in the hall! The Shintuists don't come here shattering sheet glass in the shithouse, shouting slogans...

Wife: All right, don't practice your alliteration on me.
Alliteration is so n00b. Real depressed poets use assonance. It's low, but truth be told / it's the only style bold / enough to hold back the snowing cold / in the growing holes / in a Robo-soul.

(Straight off the dome. )

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
ronmexico

2009-08-05, 19:36

That's too hard...I'd rather discuss physics
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-05, 20:24

Physics? What are those?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-08-05, 23:18

LOL!!!

There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not.

Wrao
Yarp

2009-08-06, 01:03

I am not going to ask anyone what their Reddit handle is. Just be alert. Now I know.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-06, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I am not going to ask anyone what their Reddit handle is. Just be alert. Now I know.
If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they open a beach.

Now you know.
Wrao
Yarp

2009-08-06, 01:15

Nice Try, Roboman.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2009-08-06, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Now you know.

And knowing is half the battle!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-06, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Nice Try, Roboman.
If you watch The Karate Kid backwards, it's about this karate champ who slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey.

Now you know.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-08-06, 07:19

Quote:
And knowing is half the battle!

http://www.snorgtees.com/knowingisha...tle-p-620.html
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2009-08-06, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
woot had one a few weeks ago with a pie chart that was 50% knowing, 25% blue lazers, 25% red lazers. I liked it better than that one... plus there wasn't some punk kid wearing it