User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Anyone using an EDGE phone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone using an EDGE phone?
nomorewindows

2005-01-24, 18:16

I went to the Cingular store today to change my account, since I've become a total data whore. After the guy figured out I had a REAL computer he tried to sell me a $500 phone vs. a wifi card. I guess it was the SE S710a coming out the end of February. (Do you know how much tequila I can buy for $500?!?!?)

I guess EDGE will make my online connectivity scream, but before I rob a bank to further finance my out of control icrack addiction by buying a new phone to go with my new PB, I'd like to hear from someone who has an EDGE phone. Anybody?

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
Cam'Ron

Send a message via MSN to Cam'Ron  
2005-01-24, 20:27

I don't have an EDGE phone, but I do know that it's basically able to transfer at the same rate of broadband. So, if the faster connection is important to you, go with it. The z500a is an EDGE phone as well, btw. But, it doesn't have bluetooth or ir. PS. I have used the s710a and it's an amazing phone.. LOVE IT!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-24, 20:30

I just ordered the nokia 6230. It's EDGE capable. Gonna try it out as soon as I get it. Hopefully it'll be faster than the GPRS connection I tried with T-Mo a while ago.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-01-24, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I just ordered the nokia 6230. It's EDGE capable. Gonna try it out as soon as I get it. Hopefully it'll be faster than the GPRS connection I tried with T-Mo a while ago.
Had that phone. Loved that phone. Returned that phone.

I've got a 1GB MMC card and Pop-Port stereo headphones if you're interested.

As for the topic. Yes, I have an EDGE compatible phone. In NYC the T-Mobile towers (co-owned by Cingular) do not support EDGE, but the ATTW (now owned by Cingular) do. When I'm on GPRS I get about 3-6 K/s. When I'm on EDGE I get 15-25 K/s. It's not mind blowing speed by any means, but it's fast enough for email, IM, and light webbing.

Oh, I've got a Moto V551 that I'm thinking of returning too. I'm a cell phone whore, what can I say? The rate of change of my cell phones is increasing rapidly. By this time next month I will likely have gone through two different phones.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
nomorewindows

2005-01-24, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
I'm a cell phone whore, what can I say? The rate of change of my cell phones is increasing rapidly. By this time next month I will likely have gone through two different phones.

Glad to hear someone else admit to being a cell phone whore. I have a hard time staying with the same phone for 18 months. That's my longest, I think. So sad. My reasoning for changing phones this time is that if I have a faster phone, I can get my work done faster and use less data minutes. Does that sound like something a spouse would believe?

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-27, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Had that phone. Loved that phone. Returned that phone.

I've got a 1GB MMC card and Pop-Port stereo headphones if you're interested.

As for the topic. Yes, I have an EDGE compatible phone. In NYC the T-Mobile towers (co-owned by Cingular) do not support EDGE, but the ATTW (now owned by Cingular) do. When I'm on GPRS I get about 3-6 K/s. When I'm on EDGE I get 15-25 K/s. It's not mind blowing speed by any means, but it's fast enough for email, IM, and light webbing.

Oh, I've got a Moto V551 that I'm thinking of returning too. I'm a cell phone whore, what can I say? The rate of change of my cell phones is increasing rapidly. By this time next month I will likely have gone through two different phones.

Damn it HOM! Why didn't you tell me it's not iSync compatible? I was under the mistaken impression that it was. Come ON Apple! This is NOT a new phone!

And Salling Clicker doesn't work, either. Sheesh. If I weren't coming from the POS phone I got with Verizon, I'd be very unhappy. As it stands now, I'm just glad I can transfer contacts and connect to my addressbook.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 23:21

Verizon's phones BLOW. (But their service and coverage can't be beat ... as an aside, anyone here have a v710? There is a national class action suit being filed soon!!)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-27, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Verizon's phones BLOW. (But their service and coverage can't be beat ... as an aside, anyone here have a v710? There is a national class action suit being filed soon!!)
I was counting the days til my verizon contract ran out (actually, I still have 3 weeks left on it but I couldn't wait that long), so I could use a phone that didn't suck. Verizon are bastards anyway. Crippling the v710 like that. Their ONLY decent phone and killing OBEX just to get people to have to pay to use it. I'm a two-time cingular user now - it's the only service I've gone back to and I've used them all. Well, except Nextel and the smaller ones.
rasmits
rams it

2005-01-28, 01:03

Verizon's terrible. I can't tell you how much I was overcharged. I canceled the service before my contract ran out, because that fee was half the amount of the overcharge I was getting almost every month.

But I've been with T-Mobile since they were Voicestream. Great plans.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-01-28, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Damn it HOM! Why didn't you tell me it's not iSync compatible? I was under the mistaken impression that it was. Come ON Apple! This is NOT a new phone!

And Salling Clicker doesn't work, either. Sheesh. If I weren't coming from the POS phone I got with Verizon, I'd be very unhappy. As it stands now, I'm just glad I can transfer contacts and connect to my addressbook.
Whoops.

Sorry about that. I bought PhoneDirector and didn't think about it again.

It's a great program. I'll email the guy and see if I can transfer my licsence to you seeing as I don't have the phone any more. IIRC, the registration is tied a MAC address. We'll see.

Oh, Sailing Clicker may not work, but Blue Phone Elite works great.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!