AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Let's see your iWebs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Let's see your iWebs
Page 6 of 8 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  Next Thread Tools
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-08-14, 16:19

Out of curiosity, for those posting sites using the new iWeb, are your sites on a .Mac account, or on your own (or hosted) server? Just wondering how crippled iWeb sites could be if not hosted on .Mac.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-14, 16:29

You need .Mac for the web gallery, comments on blogs... not sure what else.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-14, 16:51

Here is one I have that I have since abandoned updating. But it'll give you an idea of some of the major features that aren't supported since it isn't on .Mac.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-14, 17:32

i \ 9mm]0ko,,o h

-=;l..;; b b m nb b k hb m
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-14, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
i \ 9mm]0ko,,o h

-=;l..;; b b m nb b k hb m
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-14, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Sorry, my son (6 months old! Start 'em young, I say!) got a hold of my keyboard and I thought it'd be funny to press the "STFU torifile" button.

edit: Or I could say I was possessed by drew. The end result would be about the same.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-14, 17:43

Quote:
Sorry, my son (6 months old! Start 'em young, I say!) got a hold of my keyboard and I thought it'd be funny to press the "STFU torifile" button.

edit: Or I could say I was possessed by drew. The end result would be about the same.

That is funny. My daughter didn't even start that early. Now you'll need to get him his own clamshell to play with. I'm sure he'll love it!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
guillaumeb

2007-08-14, 20:50

I think this thread should be place a sticky and be a place to share iWebsites and .Mac Galleries
GOLDFRAPP

2007-08-16, 02:24

apparently, photo slideshow feature is fully functional on a non-dotmac account:

www.goldfrapp.us/Photo
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-16, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFRAPP View Post
apparently, photo slideshow feature is fully functional on a non-dotmac account:

www.goldfrapp.us/Photo
Wow, They've upgraded the slideshow for non.Mac users. Nice.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-16, 15:45

Anyone transfer a wordpress blog to .mac? I have a site I made for my son that is too complicated for the quick and dirty updates I'd like to make - more accurately, my wife doesn't update it because it's not as easy as it should be. I'd like to use .mac to host the site. Any ideas on the best way to transfer all the stuff to it?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-16, 15:52

I would just link to it in your new iWeb blog. You can have an "Archive" link at the top or in the blog description. That way you don't have to import. Other than that, Copy and past might be your option.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-16, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I would just link to it in your new iWeb blog. You can have an "Archive" link at the top or in the blog description. That way you don't have to import. Other than that, Copy and past might be your option.
Not a bad idea. Does the new blogging feature of iWeb have comments? I haven't tried it yet.

But if I use .mac to host my domain, what happens to my old domain? I don't want to tell people about a new URL, just have them go to the same old one they've been going to.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-16, 16:20

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Does the new blogging feature of iWeb have comments? I haven't tried it yet.
With .Mac your blog will have the ability for people to leave comments, but only through a .Mac hosted site. This was actually in the initial release.

Quote:
But if I use .mac to host my domain, what happens to my old domain? I don't want to tell people about a new URL, just have them go to the same old one they've been going to.
You should be able to direct people to you old host via the IP address. If it's shared hosing it'll be something like "77.123.456.123/~torifile/index.php". While this will look crude, you won't have to get another domain name since your current one will point to your .Mac hosted site.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-16, 17:16

Quote:
With .Mac your blog will have the ability for people to leave comments, but only through a .Mac hosted site. This was actually in the initial release.
What if I add my domain to the "Personal Domains" part of my .mac account? It's hosted on .mac, right? As far as I can tell from my reading that it is. Anyone have any idea how these are getting stored? HTML or some sort of .mac database-thing that we don't know about?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-16, 17:25

I don't have personal experience with .Mac domains yet at all so someone else will have to pipe in on that one. I think that is all you'll have to do though and you might need to unpark the domain where it is now, I just don't know right now.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-17, 17:57

My new iWeb experiment

I've given it a try again now that 2.0 is out, and now that I have more RAM to play about with. I'm still not sure about it, but the .mac integration is fantastic. I'm on a trial account now, and I'm thinking about buying a subscription after my 60 days is up.

I've been working on this for a few days, and this is what I've come up with so far. I think I have too many pictures of me
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-17, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I think I have too many pictures of me
I think we both know that's not possible.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-17, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
I think we both know that's not possible.

Oh, you! You always know how to make a guy blush

spd

2007-08-19, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daibach View Post
Well, here's my first attempt.

Took me a couple of hours converting the content from a previous site developed using RapidWeaver.

http://www.dai-towell.net
Dai, your site looks very nice. Currently I'm using RW, but am considering a switch (with the upgrade price and cost of add-ons). How does iWeb compare to RW? If it's like other recent Apple applications, it may take another version or two before it becomes robust enough for serious use. That being said, I'm impressed with how you did your site using it.
caoimhin

2007-08-20, 00:38

Here is one of mine.
I never noticed the drop shadows before. I think Apple must have recently changed the way pictures display with iWeb!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-08-20, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daibach View Post
Well, here's my first attempt.

Took me a couple of hours converting the content from a previous site developed using RapidWeaver.

http://www.dai-towell.net
I notice you're using frames to point to your site. Is there a reason you didn't use .mac for you DNS entry?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 04:12

So finally got around to updating my site will all the new iWeb 2.0 stuff, maybe I'll actually keep updating it too

http://www.thelifeafterlove.com

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2007-11-19 at 18:39.
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 15:45

Here's my site nothing crazy, just messing around with iWeb.

www.mikostudio.com
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Here's my site nothing crazy, just messing around with iWeb.

www.mikostudio.com

Cute dog you have there.
Your blog title made me laugh. WELCOME TO MY ONLINE BLOG, WHERE I SHARE MY VIEWS WITH YOU.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 18:39

I laughed at "You must be bored if you’re reading this." more

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2007-11-19 at 18:51.
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 20:39

haha yea I try not to take myself too seriously. Maybe I will change the blog title?

Last edited by Miko : 2007-11-19 at 20:51.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-11-20, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
haha yea I try not to take myself too seriously. Maybe I will change the blog title?
Never take yourself serious. It's the only way to make sure your page isn't stuck up. Take my site for example.

Oh, I am curious how Google came to conclusion to giving me the ads that are on my blog pages...Very curious...

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
GOLDFRAPP

2007-12-16, 03:13

here's my latest use of iweb
kshackelford

2007-12-26, 01:35

Pretty Impressive for iweb.