AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

The Great AppleNova Server Move of 2008

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Great AppleNova Server Move of 2008
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-09, 19:05

This thread serves as a notice that AppleNova will be moving to a different server and hosting solution this weekend, probably on Saturday April 12. Because we are moving to a new IP address and we will be updating our DNS, AppleNova's new server may not be accessible to you for a day or two as the DNS propagates to various servers around the world.

We will be keeping the old server up for a few days (until April 15) with a notice that we have moved in case your DNS provider does not update promptly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-09, 20:26

Woo Hoo!!!

You gonna post the new IP address so we can manually enter it in the address bar for easier access during the change? Also, mind telling us who the new server is gonna be? I learned a lot about our current host from here.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-04-09, 21:04

Hey cool. What are the chances we see that swanky new AppleNova design you teased oh so long ago with this move?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-09, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
You gonna post the new IP address so we can manually enter it in the address bar for easier access during the change?
Will do once the move is official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Also, mind telling us who the new server is gonna be? I learned a lot about our current host from here.
linode.com -- I've been testing a setup independently with Linode for the past few months and I've been quite impressed.
¡Damned!

Sounds good!

It's almost summer and I've started whoring myself a bit recently to get back into the swing of things...so I have a few extra dollars laying around at the moment.

Let us know what we can do.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Hey cool. What are the chances we see that swanky new AppleNova design you teased oh so long ago with this move?
None. Vaporware.

Besides, the setup, move, and initial maintenance is more than enough to be keeping me busy for a while.
Jerman

2008-04-09, 22:06

Never heard of them before, but they look great! AN is currently on Dreamhost, correct? I have been thinking of moving (from Dreamhost) to Media Temple, but Linode looks quite appealing too...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-04-09, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
None. Vaporware.

Besides, the setup, move, and initial maintenance is more than enough to be keeping me busy for a while.
Good. I don't want you guys trying to do both at once, either. That would be too damn much.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-04-10, 19:20

Nice one Brad. hope it goes smoothly, and is not to much work for you.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-04-10, 21:45

Quote:
None. Vaporware.
Oh well. That design was pretty wicked looking.

Here's to hoping the move goes smoothly for you at the very least.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-04-10, 23:12

Sweet Brad! Can't wait for the new speed!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 04:14

The move is official! We're now on a totally different setup.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-04-12, 04:43

Woot!

Good work.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 04:45

Just curious, chucker: did you edit your hosts file or did your DNS already update?

I only submitted the DNS change at 5 AM EDT and its just 5:45 EDT now, but it seems the DNS has already updated in some places because I already see a Google spider crawling us.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-04-12, 05:33

Quote:
Just curious, chucker: did you edit your hosts file
Yeah. My DNS is rather slow.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 05:46

Woot! OpenDNS finally has its five big caches pointing to the new address.

*removes own hosts file modification*

I OpenDNS.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-04-12, 06:07

All good here, nice one Brad.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 06:22

Excellent. Well, since it looks like you and a few others are finding your way to the new server without much trouble, I think it's time for me to catch a little sleep.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 06:47

By the way, I'll be tweaking some settings on the new server over the next few days for (hopefully) better performance. So, bear with me if we have some brief outages or other weirdness occur.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-04-12, 07:04

That was relatively painless, from our end at least!

Cheers, B.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-04-12, 07:06

OpenDNS did the trick.

Thanks a lot Brad!

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-04-12, 08:29

Thanks, Brad.

Instructions most helpful.

Have a well deserved cookie.

And maybe a Beer.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-04-12, 09:33

Brad,

Can you please help me out? I seem can't to find the server.... I keep getting a error message saying that it's no longer at the old address.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-04-12, 09:38

That was pretty quick for a server move. Impressive.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-04-12, 10:40

Yeah, I'm surprised it went so fast with the DNS change. Then again, I too use OpenDNS.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-04-12, 10:58

WOW. This site is very fast now! Great work Brad!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 13:00

A few hours nap later...

I just noticed a configuration issue that was causing all post attachments to be broken. They should be working now. If you find anything else broken, please post about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Brad,

Can you please help me out? I seem can't to find the server.... I keep getting a error message saying that it's no longer at the old address.
How'd you get here, then? hosts file? Global DNS propagation can take up to 72 hours (3 days); so, your ISP might still have the old data cached. As mentioned above and on the notice page, I use the free OpenDNS service at home (on my router, applying it to all computers) and it updated relatively quickly. You might want to give OpenDNS a try, at last temporarily, if your ISP isn't updating.

Also, for what it's worth, I've only made the switch official for the primary applenova.com domain and not any of our parked forwarding/testing domains.

If you're still having troubles, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll try walking through some solutions offline.

chucker

2008-04-12, 13:05

Quote:
How'd you get here, then?
I think he was kidding.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-04-12, 13:18

Bah! The move has not only deprived me of sleep but also my sarcasm detector! I guess I need to eat some lunch and recalibrate.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-04-12, 13:36

Brad,

I hope your detector will be in working order shortly- Chucker caught it.

Have fun lunching and btw, good job!