AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How do I make a ".gif" with Photos?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How do I make a ".gif" with Photos?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-28, 15:46

I ask because I looked it up and it said take a Live Photo and choose either Loop or Bounce and then send it to someone and it will be a .gif. That didn't work, it was a .MOV instead.

I read about using QuickTime Pro...but it isn't around anymore.

Surely there is a native way within macOS or iOS to do this. I'll setting for an app on my Mac if I have to that allow me to drag and drop into it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-28, 16:59

I don't know that there is a built-in way, but:
  • GIF Brewery would be a GUI way to do it
  • …and ffmpeg + gifsicle a command-line way

For instance, this takes a QuickTime movie, converts it to GIF, optimizes the result (to make the file smaller) and sets the delay between each frame to 0.02 seconds:

Code:
ffmpeg -i /Users/chucker/Movies/myMovie.mov -f gif - | gifsicle --optimize=3 --delay=2 > /Users/chucker/Movies/myMovie.gif
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-29, 22:23

So after getting homebrew updated, ffmpeg and gifsicle installed I'm now stuck with this error:
Code:
... Duration: 00:00:02.00, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 7202 kb/s Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1278x958 [SAR 1:1 DAR 639:479], 7193 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default) Metadata: creation_time : 2019-08-28T19:51:22.000000Z handler_name : Core Media Video encoder : H.264 Stream mapping: Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> gif (native)) Press [q] to stop, [?] for help [swscaler @ 0x7fbeb8588000] No accelerated colorspace conversion found from yuv420p to bgr8. Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Broken pipe Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Conversion failed!
I'm done fighting through it tonight. It was a pain to get homebrew and the others done because my user can't "sudo" and all the copy and paste commands on the web assume I can `whoami` into the command.

Anyway, I'm thinking I would rather go with a CLI version because I can use Automator to make it an App if I want. Now I just need to get it actually working.

Edit: Never mind. Seems in all the fighting I did earlier gifsicle failed to install. It's done and working now!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-26, 14:18

I had to hunt this down again because there still doesn't seem to be a good stand-alone video to gif product out there. Most are web based and I don't want to give them my data.

This process still works, though I haven't made it an Automator "App" yet. Maybe I'll get to that this week.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-04-27, 07:31

I tend to come back to an app called Lively

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lively...f/id1049711205

Seems to work well enough for what I want and it's super easy to use.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-27, 08:11

That doesn't look bad for the Live Photos. I might just have to grab it and try it out. It doesn't list being able to do movies though so that might be a limitation.