User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Should I wait?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Should I wait?
CyberGypsy

2005-12-08, 17:19

Want to get a new ibook, but not sure if i should buy now or wait till the new one come out?
I hate waiting but, it might be worth it...
I have a new G5 imac now, what do you think, and how long before the ne ibooks come out.... any guess's?
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-12-08, 17:33

shouldn't this go in purchasing advice?

but my advice, always with apple products, is wait.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-12-08, 19:13

like everyone here says, if you need it now, get it now, but if you can wait, there may be a ibook intel update next month. if you can hold out a month or so, i say hold out. if not, youre still going to be very happy. the ibook is a great machine.

welcome to AppleNova

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-09, 00:28

There is alot of speculation re Intel iBook timing as you will know if you have looked at the rumour boards. Some would have us believe a substantive 10th Jan announcement is likely,others expect a June 06 launch or later.

Unless you absolutely need an iBook now,it would no doubt be better to wait for the 10th Jan keynote - it is after all only a month. After that, you should be able to make a (more) informed decision. Given you have an iMac G5 already, you do at least have access to a good Mac for the time being.

And yes,as Yontsey says, welcome to 'Nova.
chipz

2005-12-09, 15:20

If you can wait, do so. If the iBook changes to an Intel chip in January, then you would have to decide if you want toi take a chance of a rev a iBook. I'm not sure if I would want to buy a "first" edition of any new technology. Knowing Apple, it wouold work welll, but then, you never know. If you really need the iBook now, buy it with confidence. Ot will work and work well.

TCAT
CyberGypsy

2006-04-11, 17:50

I bought the iBook and might wait a while to get a macbook....till the kinks are worked out
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-11, 18:12

I'm in the same boat. I need a notebook by mid-late July, early August at the very latest, and there's nothing Apple has that really fits my needs. The iBook is in dire need of an update. It's not that it's slow; I have a Mac mini 1.25 GHz, which is very similar to what the iBook is like, and it's fine for my needs. But it's sorely lacking in features. No DVD burner and no extended desktop or DVI output is rather unfortunate. I don't necessarily expect DVI-out on a $1000 notebook, but I do expect a DVD burner and extended desktop at least. I'd also like the option of a larger screen, and the 14" doesn't count. 12" is okay, usable on the road, but when the computer also can't output to an external monitor and operate in lid-closed mode, I can hardly consider it for a major purchase.

Actually, I think the 12" PowerBook would be the perfect computer for me if I could only get it for the much more reasonable price of $999. $1499 is ridiculous for what you get, doubly so since the 12" PowerBook is obviously at the end of its refresh cycle. Maybe once the MacBook is released and the MacBook Pro replacements for the 12" and 17" PowerBooks come out, I'll be able to pick one up for a good price. Or perhaps the $999 MacBook will ship with a DVD burner and DVI-out with extended desktop, like it should, and then I'll just buy that.

Too bad I have to just wait and wait and wait. I wish I knew what was coming out so I didn't feel like I was gambling with my money.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-11, 18:34

I agree. The unpredictable aspect really gets to me. I don't want to settle when in the next month or so there might be something that fits perfectly what I really want.
CyberGypsy

2006-04-11, 20:36

its not settling, the ibook is stable....the macbook might have issues,and love the batt. life of the ibook, hate all my powerbooks BECAUSE of batt. life...having 2 will be good for me..
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-04-12, 09:50

Wait for the new iBook (MacBook) cuz it'll look just so damn sexy compared to the current iBook (which ain't bad itself).
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-12, 11:03

I didn't mean for settling to have a negative connotation. I was using it in the sense that you give up waiting and go with the best choice at the time. It is a very good choice; however, if you had waited there might have been something that fit what you want even better. Sorry for the confusion and I hope you get what I was trying to say.
CyberGypsy

2006-04-12, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
I didn't mean for settling to have a negative connotation. I was using it in the sense that you give up waiting and go with the best choice at the time. It is a very good choice; however, if you had waited there might have been something that fit what you want even better. Sorry for the confusion and I hope you get what I was trying to say.
I do, I think it was a smart for me to get my book now(i am selling my home and living with my son untill i find a new place) I had a G5 imac bought sold it due to him having to wild cats....so i can tuck it under my pillow...so its safe