User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Time for a new MBP?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time for a new MBP?
meepzork

2010-02-17, 17:32

Hello people! Its that time of year again. Er- that time of every few years under special circumstances. I always appreciate the input I get here so heres the deal:

Im currently very happy with my MBP. Its basically this one:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...osa-specs.html

The only changes are that i bumped the hdd up to 500gb (7200rpm), and about a month ago the shiz hit the fan and i had to have the logic board, super drive, and airport replaced (I have applecare until feb 2011). Oh, and the hdd upgrade was done by a tech and is under warranty.

Long story short, if i act within the next couple of months it will be fairly painless to my wallet for me to upgrade. My question to you fine people is "should i?" If so, which config has the most bang for my buck? My minimum requirements to upgrade are that I have to keep the 500gb disk, everything else is up for debate.

Thanks
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-02-17, 17:35

I'd say wait a little be longer, I suspect we'll be seeing Core i3 or Core i5 equipped MBPs very soon, within the next month or two.
meepzork

2010-02-17, 17:40

well, keep in mind that the painkiller in my wallet is expected to wear off around May. So its either get whats available before then or forget it. Any chance we'll see the upgrades before May?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-02-17, 17:46

Maybe.

Personally, I'm on the fence until I know what my next employer will saddle me with. Changing jobs around April you see.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 18:05

Put some money aside? In a linked account or whatever.

No point in upgrading if you're still very happy, product is working and under warranty etc.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepzork View Post
Any chance we'll see the upgrades before May?
Quite likely
meepzork

2010-02-17, 18:25

joveblue - unfortunately there isnt an option to put any money away. its sort of a "do it now and its gonna be easy" or "do it later and its gonna be hard" situation.
and youre right, not much point in upgrading if im happy, however the recent hardware failures have me spooked and i figured this was a way to set myself up for the next few years.
Iago

2010-02-17, 18:26

Quote:
Im currently very happy with my MBP.
Then no, it isn't time for a new MacBook Pro.

Quote:
My question to you fine people is "should i?"
Nope.

Quote:
If so, which config has the most bang for my buck?
Your current one, which will not cost you several thousand dollars.
meepzork

2010-04-13, 17:24

Ok so the new models were announced today, and my situation still stands. As long as I act before the end of May Im in good shape, afterwards im "on a budget".

Right now Im looking at the 15" i7 model with a bump up to 7200rpm and the Hi-Res Antiglare. Possibly the RAM upgrade as well just so I dont have to deal with it later on. I figure that selling my current MBP will be able to knock about 1200 off the price. Should I go for it?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-13, 17:29

And again I'd say don't bother. If your current one isn't broken, is still under warranty, and does exactly what you want it to, how much would a new one really help? It might be nice, but I doubt you'd get enough of a benefit to justify the cost. The new models are not very different from the old ones.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you able to buy one now but not in the future? Getting married or something?

Anyway, I'd use the money you would spend on a MBP and take a nice vacation somewhere. Take a weekend cruise in the Bahamas or something; those are pretty cheap.
meepzork

2010-04-13, 17:40

lets just say that due to circumstances beyond my control, i havent had to pay rent in several months. after May that will change

Also i just took a vacation
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-04-13, 17:59

Save the money in a bank account or stocks. You know, until you actually need it...
meepzork

2010-04-13, 18:05

ok ok i get it. man you guys are no fun
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-04-13, 18:41

Quote:
ok ok i get it. man you guys are no fun
perhaps, but it sound like if you are being forced to budget in a month, it wouldn't be prudent to spend what extra cash you have around now instead of loosening the budget a bit or simply saving the money.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-14, 00:01

I used to do the frequent computer swapping thing too. It has to be about the least fulfilling way of spending your money. Computers depreciate incredibly quickly. If you really dislike your current computer enough to replace it before it's even obsolete, you should think about whether a new one that is almost the same thing would really be that much better.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-04-14, 03:13

Quote:
joveblue - unfortunately there isnt an option to put any money away. its sort of a "do it now and its gonna be easy" or "do it later and its gonna be hard" situation.
Quote:
lets just say that due to circumstances beyond my control, i havent had to pay rent in several months. after May that will change
Is rent supposed to be a euphamism for something?

Or was your earlier comment just a lie?

Maybe you need to take a seminar on how to save or something. If your budget's going to be tight it's always good to have some spare cash tucked away in a high-interest account. Never know when you might need it.