Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Post your computer setup pic
Page 45 of 48 First Previous 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48  Next Thread Tools
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-01-15, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Are those nozzles for coolant piping? Or are they just big heatsinks with the two fans next to them? I can't really tell. Did you find that 4.8 is most stable or are you just satisfied and don't want to push it further?
Those are just normal heatpipes on the heatsink.

4.8 GHz was the point where I started having to ramp up the voltage significantly for each following 100 MHz jump. Where 4.8 GHz required just 1.36V-1.376V, 4.9 GHz needed >1.4V.
BenP

2011-01-16, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It’s hard to compare, they’re two very different brewing methods. I prefer the Chemex as I think the French press tends to mask the characteristics of the bean in its own sludge, though I’ve had some success with the break-and-scoop method. Ever since I got the Chemex I’ve used it 95% of the time. I always try a new coffee in the French press a few times but so far the Chemex has always won. Cleanup is also easier, which is a big plus with my setup.

I also like that I can brew a few cups and just leave it in the Chemex and it’ll stay hot, can’t do that with a French press.

Do you have either as well?
I use a French press. I have this Frieling, and it actually does keep hot for quite a while. Cleanup is a pain, though.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-01-17, 07:29

Not posted here for a while, and we got our new kit setup today, so I thought it would be a good time for an update:-

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-01-20, 16:44

Is that a MacBook Air driving the display, Gargoyle?

I finally invested in the NEC MultiSync P221W (PDF) I threatened to get here. I'll figure out the best setup later, but it looks like this for now (terrible snap, yikes):

It's a brute from the side, and the foot looks cheap even though it's sturdy enough. But the display quality itself is excellent, and it's the cheapest display I know of that supports hardware calibration (i.e. has internal lookup tables which can be fed calibration data — some people call these "smart monitors").

That's a Spyder3 colourimeter posing for the pic. I bought the cheap "Express" version to get the hardware at the lowest price; for software I'm using a 14-day trial of basICColor display 4 (PDF). It's impressive, but very pricey at over 100 euros. Not sure I'll buy it.

I'm loving the short wireless keyboard, which has the same layout as the MacBook Pro. It's the old version with three AA batteries (got it from a friend). I only got the Magic Mouse today, so not sure about it yet.
AWR
Veteran Member

2011-01-23, 09:46

Looks nice from the pdf (and your shot), DG. I know it makes you happy, and the calibration brain surgery project is much more interesting than my current undertaking of trying to figure out how my iPhoto library has become so fucked up (I'll have to post on that when I wiggle out of the depression). That set-up should keep you going for years - it's good having a job, no?

Gargoyle, yours is to the point, a man who gets stuff done, with a cup-a. But with some individuality too.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-02-05, 10:13

Update on my setup:

My 2006 MacPro can barely be seen in the lower left corner behind the desk.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-02-05, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
I know it makes you happy, and the calibration brain surgery project is much more interesting than my current undertaking of trying to figure out how my iPhoto library has become so fucked up (I'll have to post on that when I wiggle out of the depression). That set-up should keep you going for years - it's good having a job, no?
Unfortunately I had to send the display back to Amazon, because it was tinted green at the bottom-left and pink at the top-right. Think it must be a bad batch or something, since I've seen several other people complain about the same problem — all recent purchasers.

GSpotter: what monitor? I'm trying to decide what to do now. Thinking of splurging on an NEC PA241W or maybe even an EIZO, but can't quite commit.

Also, are you really using a Windows keyboard?
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-02-05, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
GSpotter: what monitor? I'm trying to decide what to do now. Thinking of splurging on an NEC PA241W or maybe even an EIZO, but can't quite commit.

Also, are you really using a Windows keyboard?
That's a Dell 2709W (from 2008).
Yes, it's a Microsoft keyboard & mouse. I use it also with my company (Windows) notebook, which is also connected to the monitor. They also did cost less than half of the mac combo - and it's a full sized wireless keyboard, compared to the crippled mac version...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-02-05, 13:41

Quote:
Yup!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-03-21, 18:06

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Not posted here for a while, and we got our new kit setup today, so I thought it would be a good time for an update:-

Very nice, Gargoyle! I hope that my setup will be looking like this shortly!

Looks like a 13-inch MBA, though, not the 11-inch. Right?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-05-20, 04:25

New iMac, new setup.

Center: 27" 2.7Ghz Core i5 iMac (mid 2011), Apple Keyboard, MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, Magic Trackpad.
Left: 4 external drives, 1 x 2TB, 2 x 1TB, 1 x 500GB, iPhone Dock, iPhone 4 16GB
Right: Sandisk ImageMate card reader and Canon CanoScan 8800F

Not in picture, 13" MBP (2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2009 model)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-25, 18:02

ironlung

2011-05-25, 18:21

I like your set up a lot brave ulysses. Where did you get the table from? Is it screwed into the wall? I cant tell because of the guitar
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-05-25, 18:28

I made it last weekend. I purchased an untreated laminated pine board from Home Depot which was like $30 or so and 60" x 20". I also purchased two 12" steel shelf brackets for about $8-$10 each. I stained the wood "ipswich pine" (2 coats) and put on 4 coats of polyurethane.

Spray painted the metal brackets (they were white from home depot), mounted to the studs in the wall, and then put a few small screens into the bottom of the table top.

edit: I also took a drill and created 4 wire holes near the back edge of the table to route the wires through and I plan to put a small peg board on the underside of the desk in the back right corner to route the power plugs and USB cables to so that they are off the floor. (kind of like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Modi...A-GALANT-desk/)

Total cost probably around $65-$70.

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2011-05-25 at 18:38.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-05-25, 21:22

Very nice. I like the thinking and approach (and the savings...that same sort of rig probably would've cost about $219 from IKEA, with a name you couldn't pronounce; Ayvfluntaag or something ). And the iMac looks really nice, sitting there.

Is that a Washburn acoustic? I had one ages ago and the headstock looked the same.

I dig the posters too...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-05-26, 00:08

Very nice! I may be stealing your idea shortly when I move into a new apartment next month...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2011-05-26, 16:06

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2011-05-26 at 18:57.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-05-27, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Very nice. I like the thinking and approach (and the savings...that same sort of rig probably would've cost about $219 from IKEA, with a name you couldn't pronounce; Ayvfluntaag or something ). And the iMac looks really nice, sitting there.

Is that a Washburn acoustic? I had one ages ago and the headstock looked the same.

I dig the posters too...
Yup. Washburn acoustic. Great sound and value. If only I knew how to give it justice!
ironlung

2011-05-27, 14:09

Brave Ulysses I shall also be stealing your idea soon.. once I move to the St. Louis area. Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-06-17, 14:11

I moved into a new apartment last week and got a new desk. Just a basic IKEA setup, nothing fancy. I was hoping to go for something more like BU’s desk but I can’t mount that sort of thing on the walls here.

Only iPhone photos. I haven’t figured out where I packed my camera charger yet.

More photos of my apartment on my Flickr, just click on one of these pics.

On the side of the shelving part I mounted a piece of tileboard as a makeshift whiteboard. 10 bucks at Lowes, I wrapped the edges in electrical tape to give it a slightly more finished look and just stuck some velcro command strips on the back to hold it in place. Nicely hides the wire for the lamp clamped up their as well.

All the cables are routed through those two organizers so that nothing is visible from the other side, since the seating area faces my desk. Another one of those organizers is mounted underneath where the desk meets the shelf so that the *only* cable that drops to the floor is the power cable for the surge protector. Everything else is hidden.

I’m considering getting some mounting arms for the MBP and monitor so that *nothing* rests on the desktop except the keyboard and mouse. There are a few on Amazon in the <$50 range but I’m not sure about them. Thoughts?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-08-22, 09:59

I have a question somewhat related to Ryan's, above. My setup now looks like this:

(Ignore the strange colours.)

This isn't ergonomically ideal, and because my "desk" (a table) is so narrow, it leaves me with very little space. I'll also have a major cable issue when I hook up the hard drives on the left (and others, out of the picture).

I need a vertical stand for the 13-inch MacBook Pro. It should promote good cooling and allow reasonably easy access to the left side of the notebook (where the ports are). Any tips?
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-08-23, 11:01

Dorian: The vertical stand you want is the BookArc for MacBook Pro made by Twelve South. I have their stand for my iPad and my 11-inch MBA. Other than the Duo Dock, they are the best stands I've used in 15+ years with Mac laptops.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-08-23, 11:41

Thanks for the heads-up, Escher. However, having thought about it some more, I think I'd rather sell my notebook and get a Mac mini instead. The MBP is therefore in the Nova Bazaar now.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-08-23, 12:46

In case you want to keep the MacBook: I recently saw an article on Henge Docks. Looks like an interesting solution if you want to quickly undock your notebook.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-09-06, 07:10

The newest addition to my workspace:

A standing desk!

Now, I’m a cheap bastard but taking notes sitting down has never worked for me so I decided to figure out how to get a standing desk setup without spending any money. Ended up taking that big file unit and moving it into the corner next to my existing desk and then pulling the drawers out of an Ikea drawer unit and flipping it on its side. It’s the perfect height for me to stand, read and take notes. The little clip-light keeps everything readable.

If I decide to stick with it, I’ll probably remove the drawer tracks and casters. So far it’s working pretty well.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-09-24, 07:21

Odd, I could have sworn I've posted a photo of my actual deskspace in here.

Chris A
Formerly "Nurdley"

2011-10-16, 09:16

A bit confusing, but this is my computorium—and has been since 1979. Imagine the changes it has undergone since I started with a TRS-80, moved through Apple ][ and ///, and went total Mac.
The bottom panorama photo gives an idea of the room's size, the tiled counter wraps around on 3 sides.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-16, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
Wait... what? Do you have two people working in there? Or is one iMac newer than the other and you didn't want to get rid of the old one? Or are you just mad with power?!

Love the wide variety of media tech in there.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-16, 16:46

Very cool setup, Chris! Looks like a mad scientist's secret lair...
Chris A
Formerly "Nurdley"

2011-10-16, 20:30

I guess it's a bit over the top, but you are right, I didn't want to get rid of the 24" when I acquired the 27", so I use both. It comes in handy when one is working on something that needs processing time. I spent decades in broadcasting and as a record producer, so I accumulated tons of tape. I use the Tandberg reel-to-reel to transfer my music and interviews to digital media, some of which I post on my jazz/blues blog. So, it's not a power thing, but just an 80-year-old gadget freak's weakness I somehow hate to dispose of Macs, so I still have my first one, the 128K "Hello" machine, the first Intel Mac, and 5 of the intermediaries. My early Intel comes in handy when I need to run apps that don't get along with Lion, such as FreeHand, and a few games.

BTW, the keyboard on the left is the Mac version of Logitech's new solar powered model. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, too, for commenting, Escher.

This is a great forum and I have often found problem solutions here.