User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Triple travel charger for Mac users


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Triple travel charger for Mac users
Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2018-07-23, 01:52

I had to leave for a business trip a few weeks ago, and wondered why in the world I needed to pack three different chargers for my Apple MacBook, my Apple iPhone and Apple Watch.

Is there a technical reason why Apple or some enterprising third party hasn't come out with a travel charger that can charge all three of these? You see cell phone chargers with multiple adapters all the time. Shouldn't it be possible to start with a MacBook adapter and add in the tech and wires needed to go down the line to an iPhone and/or Watch?
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-23, 09:48

Are we talking plugs-wise?

A modern MacBook and iPhone both support USB-C charging. You will, however, need to get an USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

For Apple Watch, oddly enough, there doesn't appear to be a cable for USB-C-to-magnetic yet.

So you will definitely need three different cables, and unfortunately with the Watch, you will also need a separate charger (or an adapter from USB-A to C).
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-23, 09:50

(Also, if AirPower ever ships, you'll be able to charge an iPhone and Watch wirelessly from the same pad.)
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2018-07-23, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
So you will definitely need three different cables, and unfortunately with the Watch, you will also need a separate charger (or an adapter from USB-A to C).
Yeah. I understand that port transitions are commonplace, and we still working toward USB-C for everything (if Apple ever decides to give up Lightning.)

It just seems odd to me that a third party hasn't seized on this opportunity. There are third-party combo chargers for the iPhone and Watch (like Belkin's docks) and Apple is working on a charging mat as well. Maybe the complexity and reliability of a laptop charger is the sticking point. But I would have thought a laptop charging brick with a pullout cable to iPhone/iPad and an integrated induction charger on top for the Watch would have been something a third party could pull off. So far, I guess the PlugBug comes closest, although you still have to travel with the two extra USB cables.
  quote
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland-ish, OH
Send a message via AIM to Yontsey Send a message via Skype™ to Yontsey 
2018-07-23, 18:04

When I travel I mainly use a higher capacity power brick for my iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad. I can go a few days without having to charge the power brick over night.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-25, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yeah. I understand that port transitions are commonplace, and we still working toward USB-C for everything (if Apple ever decides to give up Lightning.)

It just seems odd to me that a third party hasn't seized on this opportunity. There are third-party combo chargers for the iPhone and Watch (like Belkin's docks) and Apple is working on a charging mat as well.
Seems to me like this one would do it:

"Nekteck 4-port 72W USB Wall Charger with Type-C 60W Power Delivery"

Not enough to charge a 15-inch MacBook Pro, but it does have a USB-C port to charge other MacBooks, and three USB-A ports to charge your phone and watch…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Maybe the complexity and reliability of a laptop charger is the sticking point.
It appears that, in practice, getting those high wattages over USB-PD has proven quite tricky. It's not quite mass-market yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
But I would have thought a laptop charging brick with a pullout cable to iPhone/iPad and an integrated induction charger on top for the Watch would have been something a third party could pull off.
Apple can't even pull it off yet. AirPower was announced almost eleven months ago…
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel advice? hiltond AppleOutsider 6 2011-08-12 17:50
LaCie Triple Interface - What's the difference? bobmoore Purchasing Advice 5 2007-01-03 20:39
Triple-Core mooty Speculation and Rumors 18 2005-05-17 08:48


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:54.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova