New Mac minis part of Rumored Fall Hardware Lineup

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Mac minis part of Rumored Fall Hardware Lineup
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-07-11, 12:40

Link:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18...s-says-analyst

I expect that we will see new USB C 3.x ports.

Anything else they might add?

What about built in Apple TV?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-07-11, 13:10

Soldered in RAM, soldered in storage (NVMe SSD), integrated GPU, fan-less power supply.

Built-in Apple TV? Hell, it is the next Apple TV! Might even be powered by ARM.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-07-11, 14:54

The lack of updates to the Mini is beyond pathetic. The fact that they are still selling these 5 year dated machines for the same price is ridiculous. I've actually been waiting for one so I could have a basic work computer. As soon as they update them, I will buy one, but wont even consider it until then.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-07-11, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
… but wont even consider it until then.
We don't currently stock them, and won't until they are updated.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-07-12, 09:53

New MacBook Pros with a simple press release today.

This is exactly the type of update I would have expected last month.

I've been looking to upgrade from my 2015 MacBook to a 13" MBP, but now with just a marginal update announced now, I'm hesitant because now I want to see what they'll possibly do with the MacBook.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-07-12, 11:38

This is not a marginal update. In fact, it satisfies the whining of the last 2 years: Quieter keyboard; 32GB RAM (15"); 8th gen 6-core i9 (15"); 8th gen 4-core (13") finally!; massive and fast storage (4TB NVMe available in the 15"); True Tone displays (Touch Bar models); the 15" models now ship with 6-cores standard.

The 6-core i9 is—in some cases—70% faster than the previous chip. That's huge!

The only thing "marginal" about this update is that the base 13" Pro got nothing!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2018-07-12 at 13:16.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-12, 12:55

OMG THERE ARE MACBOOK PROS WITH 32 GIGS OF RAM

I am going to walk on the streets and kiss someone, or Phil Schiller in particular, whomever I meet first.

Compared to my 2013, of course, I also gain true tone, 50% more cores, 50% faster RAM, several times the SSD speed, Touch ID, the Touch Bar (yes, I know, controversial), it's lighter and thinner (yes, I care, because I bike to work), and and and…
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-07-17, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I expect that we will see new USB C 3.x ports...
USB 3.2 ports aren't due until mid-2019, right?

So I'd imagine that we're stuck with what we have now.

I know Apple has viewed faster USB as a competitor to Thunderbolt, but it would be really nice to see the Mac leading the USB parade again.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2018-07-18, 10:47

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/17...ro-throttling/

Apparently the i9 runs so hot, and the MacBook Pro's cooling is so inadequate, that it can't maintain even base clock speed under a full CPU load (and forget about turbo boost, ever). Last year's i7 MBP is faster because it doesn't run as hot.

But hey, it's super thin and quiet so that's all that matters, right?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-07-27, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
USB 3.2 ports aren't due until mid-2019, right?

So I'd imagine that we're stuck with what we have now.

I know Apple has viewed faster USB as a competitor to Thunderbolt, but it would be really nice to see the Mac leading the USB parade again.
My problem is the dearth of external drives with Thunderbolt ports. USB C does exist.

¡Damned!

2018-07-27, 11:55

Wait I thought that USB-C and TB3 were interchangeable, at least for external HDs.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-07-27, 12:38

USB-C will work with TB-3, but TB-3 will not work with USB-C.

50% interchangeable.

So, a USB-C drive can be connected to a TB-3 equipped computer, but a TB-3 drive cannot be connected to a computer that has only USB-C. For the latest Macs, they support just about anything (and at ridiculous speeds), but USB-C computers (including the 12" MacBook) will not accept a TB-3 external drive unless that drive also has a USB-C port.

To be clear the connectors are 100% interchangeable, but the technology behind those connectors is not. There is a chip on the board at both ends, as well as a chip on the cable at both ends. All those chips negotiate the services offered and shake hands when the services match. If there's no match, then nothing works.