Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPad Pro: Now with $300 Trackpad!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad Pro: Now with $300 Trackpad!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-18, 16:09

Well, here it is. The iPad finally gets something like decent editing tools, sort of but we'll wait and see.

New iPad has some pretty amazing hardware.

New Magic Keyboard thingy looks very cool, but I need time with it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2020-03-19, 07:56

I wish I was the type to need constant portability like this because that setup is pure sex to me. It looks like a step closer to the future, you know what I mean?

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-03-19, 08:24

Yep, that looks pretty awesome to me. But how does it balance without falling over? Looks like it would tip over at the slightest touch.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 09:49

The magic keyboard added some weight to the new MacBook Air and the 16" Pro, so it isn't light. Add the trackpad and all its electro-bits and that keyboard probably weighs near a pound. Thus, a much lower center of gravity than it appears, although it is definitely not a "lap" product, and never will be.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2020-03-19, 10:00

That hinge must have some crazy design voodoo going on – they must've learned so much from the sunflower iMac mechanics. Just noticed it has a USB port in the hinge as well!

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-03-19, 10:13

I'm super interested in this. Very glad that they made it backwards compatible with the 2018 iPad Pro. Definitely going to be something I add to my iPad when ti comes out.

I paired a Magic Mouse to my iPad today to see how ti is working and it's pretty damn slick. I think a trackpad would probably be better, but having proper cursor support has made IOS so much better already.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That hinge must have some crazy design voodoo going on – they must've learned so much from the sunflower iMac mechanics. Just noticed it has a USB port in the hinge as well!
Yeah, I've been trying to figure that out. I'm wondering if maybe it's just a flexible strip of metal? I can't wait to see it. Definitely a step in the right direction, but editing on the fool thing still concerns me. I'll wait to see that in [my] action before I get too excited.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-19, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Yeah. Tricky to get this right, since they didn't want to have a kickstand. The hinge and the keyboard/trackpad part must have some clever weighting going on so the iPad doesn't fall over.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-19, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm wondering if maybe it's just a flexible strip of metal?
Hmmmmmmm

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/09...-metal-alloys/
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-19, 12:36

Why does it look like that Magic keyboard is going to fall over once you take your hands off the palm rest? I'm definitely interested to see this thing in person. I'm not prepared to upgrade and no plans to in the near future so it will be nice to see these things get bugs worked out. I'm on my second keyboard cover for my 10.5" iPad Pro so I know they will break at the hinge point.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2020-03-19, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Why does it look like that Magic keyboard is going to fall over once you take your hands off the palm rest?
I hope not. This is why some tablet keyboards approach the problem with a kickstand instead (see Microsoft Surface, and also now Logitech's iPad keyboard): it's tricky to counterbalance the fact that the heavy bits (logic board, battery, screen) are all in the upper part, unlike laptops.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-19, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Certainly a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Why does it look like that Magic keyboard is going to fall over once you take your hands off the palm rest? I'm definitely interested to see this thing in person. I'm not prepared to upgrade and no plans to in the near future so it will be nice to see these things get bugs worked out. I'm on my second keyboard cover for my 10.5" iPad Pro so I know they will break at the hinge point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I hope not. This is why some tablet keyboards approach the problem with a kickstand instead (see Microsoft Surface, and also now Logitech's iPad keyboard): it's tricky to counterbalance the fact that the heavy bits (logic board, battery, screen) are all in the upper part, unlike laptops.
Apple isn't going to ship these things if they're not stable, although I wonder if there is an "extreme angle" where that stability is no good? For instance, the current iPad Pro sucks on the lap unless you have long legs that are almost perfectly level. Lean that thing back *at all* and it falls over backwards.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-19, 14:18

It is that way for my 10.5" Pro. I end up keeping one hand on the keyboard when sitting in certain chairs. That or slouch horribly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-20, 12:34

Well, I was forced to upgrade thanks to my 10.5" iPad Pro dying. Now I'm looking for feedback on the keyboard options. Is the Magic Keyboard worth the price? Can you sit with it on your lap or are you pretty much forced to use a solid surface?

My gut is to get the Keyboard Folio but the concept of having a trackpad is intriguing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2020-08-20, 16:46

You should be able to use it on a lap, since it doesn't have a kickstand.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-20, 17:12

Right, but I'm more wondering from someone who hopefully has actually used it. In a store or in person of their own possession would be great.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-08-21, 10:05

I’m actually typing this on the Magic Keyboard for iPad right now on my 11” iPad Pro.

Overall, this thing is the best iPad keyboard I’ve ever used, but that’s only comparing it to the Smart Keyboard.

Definitely a great keyboard overall and super stable. It’s a little harder to type on your lap, but that was the same with the Smart Keyboard as well. It will definitely work, but it’s not as stable as a notebook. Could have something to do with the smaller iPad size, but it will work. (I’m sitting with my legs fully stretched out and the keyboard on my lap and it’s working perfectly fine. Sitting with your knees bent makes it a little more difficult.)

Having a build in trackpad has been super useful. I don’t think I’d ever hook up an external or mouse to the iPad, but having it here means I actually sue it.

I don’t keep the iPad in the keyboard all of the time, so it’s not a 100% thing, but when I need to type something out, it’s very nice dot have an actual keyboard.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-21, 10:27

The fact that the keyboard is heavier makes it more stable than just about any other option. However, if your lap is sloping downward the thing will tend to go right over (especially if you poke it). It's still top-heavy, but much better than it was.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-21, 12:05

I want you both to know how much I'm not happy with either of you right now. You are making it hard to be to buy the cheaper keyboard when I'm certain I'm going to be using this iPad more like an ultralight laptop than an eReader.

Edit: Does the Magic Keyboard fold flat if I want the keyboard out of the way or do I remove it from the keyboard to use it in "slate mode"?

Last edited by turtle : 2020-08-21 at 12:18.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-08-21, 12:57

It doesn’t fold around like the Smart Keyboard does, which is a huge negative for me, but it’s fine for the most part.

It’s super easy to remove if you want to use it without so that’s easy enough.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-24, 15:19

I got my 12.9" Gen 3 iPad Pro yesterday and so far I'm loving it. It is larger than I thought it would feel but I'm good with it. At this point I need to buy a case of some sort because I hate setting this thing down on it's camera. I'm not going to lay it face down because I'm certain that's what caused the scratches on my phone.

I think I'll end up getting the Folio for now given I switch from portrait to landscape regularly. I actually liked the folding keyboard case for the 10.5" but there doesn't seem to be a similar option for this gen iPad. Can the Folio stay attached when folded behind the iPad when just using it like a slate or does it need to be removed from the Folio?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-08-24, 20:29

The Keyboard Folio folds behind and stays attached. I liked that part a lot because I would fidget with the keys while It was swung around the back.