AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Apple Nova Fund

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Nova Fund
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-04-02, 11:45

Knowing that the administrators and moderators put a lot of their time and other resources in AppleNova, I would like to ask if it was possible to open something like a paypal-account for AN. Coming here a few times a week and get some great advise at the Genius Bar, laughing my head off reading AppleOutsider or shaking my head posting in Speculation and Rumors: I wouldn't at all mind to return a gift to the people behind AppleNova. It would at least make me feel a lot better.

And if you guys (Admins/Mods) wouldn't need/appreciate this kind of gratitude for yourselves, collect the money for the 'Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation' or any other non-profit organisation you might want to support.

I have not got a lot of money to spend, but I feel that it is a righteous thing to propose. What do you members at AN think?

I am being pretty straight-forward as always here and bloody serious too!

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-04-02 at 11:54.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-04-02, 17:33

I second that. It would be pretty cool.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-03, 12:11

I'd be all for this, but Alc already said no because it's illegal to sell your body for sex where he lives.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-04-03, 12:17

Funny you say that... recently I've learned that in Canada, it's not illegal for one to barter sexual favors in return for a good/service/money... however the practice and soliciting of such a deal is illegal.

Canadian law can be messed up at times.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-03, 12:20

Well, he's almost in Canada.

Really though, we don't want him being arrested.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-03, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Well, he's almost in Canada.

Really though, we don't want him being arrested.
In which case, we could raise fund for Alc to buy a farm on USA border and another immediately adjacent farm on Canada's border. That way, he can go forth and back as he pleases.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-03, 13:27

So far I've paid everything out of pocket, and it hasn't been too bad, but I don't think I would mind having an account people could put a couple of bucks in here and there to help defer the cost.

I'll ask around with folks, see what they think.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Oompa Loompa

2006-04-03, 13:38

Well, I don't know... sex absolutely is a great trade for money. But I sure have been missing out on something here at AN! Is it here where you popped that proverbial cherry, Banana?

But seriously though, I thought it would be nice to be able to offer a crate of cold beer once in a while, you know.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-03, 13:45

We do have Canadian administators who would be more than willing to accept payment for sexual favours.
Oompa Loompa

2006-04-03, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
We do have Canadian administators who would be more than willing to accept payment for sexual favours.

Yep! Murbot is here!

I thought you might say that, somehow!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-04-03, 13:54

It's a good point. I run a forum on a different topic, and you become the victims of your own success - hosting and (particularly) bandwidth ain't free, so a few donations from your big users come in nice and handy for that bandwidth bill.

Hey, I might even throw in some of my valuable English pounds. Imagine that!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-03, 14:05

Quote:
You'd have to be really, *really* good.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-03, 14:07

It's actually all going to be funneled to Carol's Sybian fund.
¡Damned!

2006-04-03, 14:11

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-03, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes

That is *not* true.

Don't believe a word he says.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-03, 14:32

Okay, here's the deal. I'll pony up some dough, but only if some promises are made. These include, but are not limited to:

1. At least half the money must go to Carol so she can buy a digital camera so she can post a picture of her boobs.

That's all I can think of now. I have my priorities, I think I've made them pretty clear.

Come waste your time with me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-03, 14:40

Quote:
Hey, murbeau. Where *are* you?

Surely it can't be true... that you've been... uh... rendered *speechless*?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-04-03, 14:45

Alright, how cool would it be if we start a semi-annual AppleNova fundraising event? I would not want to see this turn into a commercial venture (like the direction AI is headed), but this would be a great way to set up an ongoing fund to pay for bandwidth and such; so we can give the admins a little break.

Somebody would donate a new iPod/Mac to AppleNova, and we sell raffle tickets via Paypal for, say, $5 each. Not only would you be helping a good cause, but you have the chance to win shiny new Apple stuff.

I'd say there's several hundred "regular" members here that would buy at least one ticket (I'd buy several if I could), and the odds of winning would be pretty good, seeing as we're a relatively small community. Half the proceeds would go to the AppleNova bandwidth fund (or wherever money's needed), and half would go to a respected charity foundation, to be donated in memory of Jack R. Frost IV. I would love to see this forum give back to the community, especially if it honors Jack.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-04-03 at 15:01.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-03, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Dude, I asked you not to use my nickname on the boards.

BTW what's the deal, you're paying for her flight to come up here and see me?

EDIT: oh, you probably mean a real sybian.
Oompa Loompa

2006-04-03, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Alright, how cool would it be if we start a semi-annual AppleNova fundraising event? I would not want to see this turn into a commercial venture (like the direction AI is headed), but this would be a great way to set up an ongoing fund to pay for bandwidth and such; so we can give the admins a little break.

Somebody would donate a new iPod/Mac to AppleNova, and we sell raffle tickets via Paypal for, say, $5 each. Not only would you be helping a good cause, but you have the chance to win shiny new Apple stuff.

I'd say there's several hundred "regular" members here that would buy at least one ticket (I'd buy several if I could), and the odds of winning would be pretty good, seeing as we're a relatively small community. Half the proceeds would go to the AppleNova bandwidth fund (or wherever money's needed), and half would go to a respected charity foundation, to be donated in memory of Jack R. Frost IV. I would love to see this forum give back to the community, especially if it honors Jack.
I think this is a very cool idea. It would be a lot of fun and not only just a one time event!

I have never met Jack (LoCash) at AN, unfortunately... so it's not my place to say anything about him... I also lost a very, very dear friend a short while back... and I think he wouldn't mind a fun thing like this. So come on guys! Always look on the bright side of life *whistles the tune*. It wouldn't hurt anybody, IMO!

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-04-03 at 15:56.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-03, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa
Is it here where you popped that proverbial cherry, Banana?
It's just there because it sounded... right.

Now you mention it, I got an idea.... *fix the title*

Ahh, better now.

Back to the funding... I'm up for the raffle idea, but also wonder if there should be something more steady as well?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-03, 18:05

"We can pay you 2,000 now, and another 15 when we reach Alderaan."
Oompa Loompa

2006-04-12, 11:55

Oh, the enthousiasm!

Hmmm, sorry for being a bit persitant.

Guys, maybe a poll would work to vote on this proposition? Come on: let's arrange some used women's underwear for Murbot, the collected bleedings of Chuck Norris for Luca, 1 one-way trip to Murbot's mansion for Windswept, 1 calculator and an axe for Alcimedes, 1 dragon and a huge mother of a perpetually dancing lock for Brad...
Bill M

2006-04-12, 14:48

I agree 100% with the first post here and will keep an eye on the developments on this thread.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-04-12, 16:12

It seems that it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but you can buy cool stuff AND support the Apple Nova Fund by going here:
http://www.cafepress.com/applenova
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-12, 16:30

And I don't get a damn penny. How's THAT for my negoiatin' skills?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-12, 17:23

Actually, the CafePress page no longer "supports" us, AFAICT. That's why I removed the Store link from our header. The CafePress account was handled by Jack and the money went to an account of his to which we don't have access.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-12, 17:29

Alcimedies added some cafepress items a few days ago, how is that possible, unless he has access to the Cafepress account?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-12, 17:44

Well, communications snafu. I'll ask. Maybe I just never got the info for some reason.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-12, 18:19

Okay, long story short, alcimedes only recently got access to the CafePress account. We'll keep you posted.

Oh, and we've talked about the donations thing in private. Again, we have no official plans at the moment, but it sounds like a cool idea.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.