Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Forum need a "Mac Tips" section?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Forum need a "Mac Tips" section?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-04-22, 14:39

Seeing how we just added the Bazaar and we seem to be moving forward as a forum, I suggest that we add a special, perhaps independent page for tips and write-ups.

I'm a member at another forum for cars (vBulletin) and they have this section called Teg Tips, where people make well thought out write-ups for all aspects of Integras. Here's a link to the site, notice the way it fits as a link at the top of the page. G2IC Link

I'm thinking that we could add this type of functionality to this site.
We could have categories for:
+Hardware (RAM upgrades, HD repairs, etc...)
+Software (How-to, Photoshop tips, troubleshooting stuff in iLife, etc..)
+Terminal and System level Help (Cool tricks, Resetting PRAM, Firmware updates, etc...)
+Vintage Macs (Help with older Macs, Restoration projects, etc... )
+Tips and Tricks (Invisible dock, add-ons, performance upgrades, other cools Apple tricks, etc..)

We could put it in a similar format as the aforementioned site, with the drop-downs under the categories.

Add a link at the top of the page next to the Home, Forums, Store, and Tribute links and we would be in business!

Is this a necessary addition, or would it be underutilized and redundant?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-22, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
+Tips and Tricks (Invisible dock, add-ons, performance upgrades, other cools Apple tricks, etc..)
Eek! Teh evil haxies! Brad would never endorse that
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-04-22, 14:58

Well, they were just suggestions... you could pick any categories you would want (dot dot dot)

Just make sure that the tips don't cause your Mac to asplode! or anything like that

What about the main idea though?? Is it worth pursuing or considering?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-22, 15:04

Nice idea, but I think Brad et al will point to external websites which contain all or some of the above, which may make it slightly redundant. Low End Mac springs to mind as an example. This thread also covers some of the above issues in the form of a (rather helpful) sticky.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-22, 15:06

I, for one, would like the idea of "How-To" Section.

One thing about the forums is they're full of great tips, but usually they're scattered all over and not as well-caterogized.

It might be more productive if AN had one or two extra volunteers who could browse through the old threads and re-categorize useful tips to the How-To section.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-04-22, 15:22

Hey, I would be willing to browse and organize the tips.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-22, 16:46

I like the idea a lot. Consolidating the tips and also just having well written walkthroughs or how to's on certains things would be a nice feature in my opinion.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-04-22, 16:50

I was thinking of starting a thread yesterday for "Strange and Unusual Mac tricks" where people could post stuff they have discovered that may be beyond the average user along with detailed instructions.

I guess there is a demand for this.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-01, 20:15

Perhaps as a subsection of the GB. We'll look into it. Usually it needs to be something that has enough traffic to warrent an additional forum. The Bazaar is an experiment of something we hadn't dealt with in the past, and seeing if it will work down the line.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-05-01, 20:44

Yeah, I would be willing to do more write-ups if there was a dedicated space for them. I think that stickies would get annoying after a while. A sub-forum wouldn't be bad...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-01, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
Yeah, I would be willing to do more write-ups if there was a dedicated space for them. I think that stickies would get annoying after a while. A sub-forum wouldn't be bad...
A sub-forum or front page space, but I also don't think it warrants a main forum either. Too many main forums clutters up a community. I don't want that to happen to AN. One of the reasons I post here is that it's elegant and simple to navigate--the same reasons I love OS X.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-09-18, 02:10

I second this movement!

It would be good, but I agree- a subforum of the Genius Bar is in order for this.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-18, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit
Garh! Build an applenova wiki!
Seconded.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-09-18, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Seconded.
RRO says you can't second your own motion. Out of order. Sit down now.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-09-18, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
RRO says you can't second your own motion. Out of order. Sit down now.
Seconded.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-24, 04:51

I doubt a forum or sub forum would be needed. I think it would work just fine to have a sticky in General discussion for people to post their tips and tricks. If someone was up to the task they could keep the first post edited and formatted to summarize all the various tips and tricks as they are posted, otherwise, get people to submit tips and tricks in a relatively organized/standarized fashion. That'd probably be enough, I mean, how many tips and tricks are there?

If it was expanded to 'general computing tips and tricks" encompassing all applications and hardware, then there'd likely be enough content to support a whole (sub) forum.

Of course, as the thread starter inferred, Applenova could always 'move forward' as a strict forum and start providing some more site content, of which tips and tricks would certainly apply.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-09-24, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I doubt a forum or sub forum would be needed. I think it would work just fine to have a sticky in General discussion for people to post their tips and tricks. If someone was up to the task they could keep the first post edited and formatted to summarize all the various tips and tricks as they are posted, otherwise, get people to submit tips and tricks in a relatively organized/standarized fashion. That'd probably be enough, I mean, how many tips and tricks are there?

If it was expanded to 'general computing tips and tricks" encompassing all applications and hardware, then there'd likely be enough content to support a whole (sub) forum.

Of course, as the thread starter inferred, Applenova could always 'move forward' as a strict forum and start providing some more site content, of which tips and tricks would certainly apply.
Scruffy feels that there are already enough websites doing that. Scruffy says for Applenova not to forget its place.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-24, 05:05

Quote:
Scruffy feels that there are already enough websites doing that. Scruffy says for Applenova not to forget its place.
Dingdingding!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-09-24, 16:00

*chh chh* -pause- *click* -pause- *gunshot*

"Scruffy dead Pa!"

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-10-16, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I like the idea a lot. Consolidating the tips and also just having well written walkthroughs or how to's on certains things would be a nice feature in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Hey, I would be willing to browse and organize the tips.
Nice idea especially for newbies. So come on Mod's and Admins how about it. Murbot put that beer down and pay attention.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-16, 18:59

I definitely think a sort of subforum- welcome lounge, tips section for newbies and oldies a like could work in some form. I'd be willing to write some FAQ's. Installing stuff, best freeware apps, changing icons, where to find good backgrounds, installing RAM, minor troubleshooting, where to find this and this etc.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-16, 19:06

We need Chinney to write up a linksys web access thread.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2006-10-16, 20:48

whatya mean you need Chinney to do it? im the one posting the step by step illustrated walkthroughs :P
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 05:57

I've come up with a list of potential things that could be put in the section, or thread.
  • Before I buy- which Mac for me, when to buy, where is best place to buy
  • Desktop Wallpapers- where to find, how to put on (Iceman can do this
  • Change Icons
  • Installing apps
  • Uninstalling (also using AppZapper)
  • "Great little mac apps"- A freeware and awesome-ware section
  • Installing a printer
  • Install this the moment you get your computer
  • Emails- setting up your mail.app
  • iWeb- putting on a non .mac hoster
  • Great Widgets everyone should have
  • Keyboard Shortcuts 101
  • IM Clients - which should I have
  • RAM- Where to buy (I think we can also just have a link to the manual for installing it on each model.)
  • Accessories for your Mac - iCurve, best mice, best keyboards, etc. etc.
  • Easy home networking with Chucker.

Probably some that aren't necessary and other things that could be added, but if this was PM'd to all members when they first arrived, it could save alot of the mundane questions, and leave more server space for talking about boobs.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-10-17, 06:55

Quote:
I've come up with a list of potential things that could be put in the section, or thread.
  • Desktop Wallpapers- where to find, how to put on (Iceman can do this
  • RAM- Where to buy (I think we can also just have a link to the manual for installing it on each model.)

Probably some that aren't necessary and other things that could be added, but if this was PM'd to all members when they first arrived, it could save alot of the mundane questions, and leave more server space for talking about boobs.
For the first point, you bet

RAM: We will have categorize into different regions
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-17, 08:10

Quote:
  • Easy home networking with Chucker.

OS X's Finder still needs a "Share…" menu item, like Classic's did. Come on, even Windows 95 had that.