Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Virgin Media intergration with EyeTV - UK

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Virgin Media intergration with EyeTV - UK
goodonpaper

Send a message via MSN to goodonpaper Send a message via Skype™ to goodonpaper 
2007-10-14, 06:11

I've been doing some research into creating a Mac Mini Media Centre, and I was hoping to integrate an EyeTV or similar hardware to run an EPG through it to control my Virgin Media. Has anyone had any success with this? Any hardware recommendations? Something that integrates nicely with Front Row would be nice!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-14, 06:15

Can you detail what kind of device this is? I assume some sort of set-top box.

This?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-14, 06:49

I'd assume he means Virgin Media's cable service, rather than the STB in that link. I'd never heard of that; it seems to be a standard Terrestrial DVB-T box with Virgin's branding. The standard STB for cable Virgin utilises is one from Scientific Atlanta. It's similar to, but not exactly the same as the one in the link.

I didn't know it would be able to control the STB from an EyeTV type device. I kinda assumed that it was a one-way system; i.e. video is output from it, the only input would be from a remote control. I wouldn't have thought it possible to control the STB at all. But then again, what do I know. Heh.

I think EyeTV software does allow you to schedule recordings which can export to iTunes and therefore Front Row, but I think you'd have to programme the STB yourself to switch channel to the correct channel rather than have software on your Mac do it.

As for hardware, you could use this, and connect to the STB with a coaxial cable, or this. I can't find one that has a SCART socket though.
goodonpaper

Send a message via MSN to goodonpaper Send a message via Skype™ to goodonpaper 
2007-10-14, 11:24

Any information on how to have the Mac control the STB? Running an EPG on the Mac would be a massive advantage too!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-14, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodonpaper View Post
Any information on how to have the Mac control the STB?
What kind of connectivity does it provide?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-14, 11:49

A USB port that appears to do nothing, an ethernet port that appears to do nothing, a SCART input and output, and a coax output. I really think it's a case of SOL.
Chellovek

2007-10-15, 04:09

I think the only way to get this kind of functionality is with mythtv. Stick linux on the mini, run myth and have an IR output that tells the STB what to do.

AFAIK, the biggest problem with this system is the speed of the STB menu system which will limit your responsiveness.
chucker

2007-10-15, 12:52

Is the thing's firmware flashable?