Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Anyone experienced Crumpler bags?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone experienced Crumpler bags?
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-08-09, 04:14

I am going to order an iBook this week and also need a bag. I was planning on using my old Waterfield Designs Vertigo back but if I recall correctly, it barely fit my older iBook yet alone if I want to carry more stuff.

I was checking Crumpler bags, they look pretty cool, but I previously got the Budgie Smuggler for my Nikon D70 and found it too stiff and unpractical. Now I am interested in The Breakfast Buffet. It looks pretty cool, can hold my ibook with some other items and it costs $95. But I am wondering if anyone has had experience with their laptop bags and if yes how was it.

Also if you guys can recommend other bags it would be great. I am looking for something compact, padded, would barely fit a 12inch ibook, my psp, ipod, notebook and a few pens and stuff. Oh and power cables.

Thanks

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-09, 05:10

You might want to look at the Brenthaven Flex 12 - available from the online store.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-09, 05:20

I've got the Tom Bihn Large Cafe Bag. I've paired it with one of their soft sleeves and it perfectly fits my 12" iBook with just enough room for a few other items. I don't know the exact dimensions of a PSP, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit. It's a messenger style bag and comes in lots of color options.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2005-08-09, 05:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
Also if you guys can recommend other bags it would be great. I am looking for something compact, padded, would barely fit a 12inch iBook, my psp, iPod, notebook and a few pens and stuff. Oh and power cables.

Thanks
http://www.mythwear.com/

Mythwear makes great bags for reasonable prices, but they're all anime branded if you're okay with that. I have been abusing both of mine for six years now going to class everyday.

The tech bag can hold a 14" to 15" laptop. I also like it because it has a cell phone holder on the shoulder strap. No swinging the bag around to fish out your cell phone.

Mythwear used to make a bag that holds a 12" laptop perfectly with just enough space for what you mentioned. I don't know why they discontinued it. I still use it after spilling t-shirt paint on it and cleaning it with acetone.

My only complaint, as discovered by my friend, they used plastic clips to hold the shoulder strap on their courier bags two years ago. We replaced them with metal rings when they broke.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-08-09, 05:38

I bought a McBain's Baby XL and love it. It's water resistant and put together great, I really can't imagine it ripping or wearing out no matter how hard I use it. It's also really style'n!

My sister thought so much of it, she just bought a wonder weenie to use as her primary book bag, and I'm a little jealous because it's even COOLER than mine.

Crumpler is definitely a unique company that makes a great bag I don't think you'll regret.

Although it helps it stay closed, the only thing that bothers me is that mine stays closed solely with velcro. It's just a little loud opening it in class or when I'm in the library.
usurp

2005-08-09, 07:56

hey ast3r3x would it be too much trouble to ask u if you can take a picture of how it looks like from the inside? the 12inch version seems cool and very affordable..

update: actually its ok, i found this picture http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/mitsu...021518239.jpeg

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's

Last edited by usurp : 2005-08-09 at 07:58.
ast3r3x

2005-08-09, 08:15

Yep...as you can kinda tell, the inside is a thinner material that is reinforced ever .25" or so and that is what makes those square patters you can slightly make out. It's not stitching, it's the fabric is actually thicker in those areas...just gives me a feeling of security that the inside material is tough too.

Seems solidly put together basically. It was the only bag that looked fun and seemed to offer quality protection.
usurp

2005-08-09, 08:26

the bag i want seems used to be called the Wee Bee before.
ast3r3x

2005-08-09, 08:36

I think they like to change up their names/models to keep it interesting.
usurp

2005-08-09, 09:12

what can you fit in your bag btw?
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-08-09, 09:14

I love my Spire Endo courier bag. You might check out their backpack offerings.
ast3r3x

2005-08-09, 10:21

I normally had my computer (pb 15"), a legal tablet, and a book in the slot. In the zipper pouch I had a power adapter, mouse, spare battery, cables to hook up my computer to a projector (dvi adapter), and some other misc stuff depending what I needed...in ear headphones, cd's, whatever.

Looking at just the most boring color of crumpler it looks cleaner and nicer than the competition I think. However I'm sure the other bag carries more.

Crumpler's style is really what caught my attention. Their quality is what made me buy them and what keeps me recommending them. It's a premium product.

Edit: dviant, I'm not trying to rag on you, your bag is probably more capable, but that isn't my only concern.

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-08-09 at 10:46.
Swing

2005-08-09, 13:27

I use a Crumpler The Gimp 12" (in a previous post somewhere I mistakenly referred to it as the newer Crumpler Hymnbook, I think I did anyway). I use The Gimp mainly for carrying my 12" PB within a larger case which also carries books etc. and it does a good job.

Recently I have checked out other Crumpler bags at a store close to me, including the Breakfast Buffet and the Skivvy. I will probably buy the Breakfast Buffet, and I hope to use it occasionally not only for my 12" PB but also sometimes for my D70 and lenses and filters too. Incidentally, I had bought a Domke F-802 Reporter's Satchel hoping to use it separately for the 12" PB and my D70 w/lenses but it is actually too large for either use (though I nonetheless still like it quite a bit for my D70 w/lenses etc. and so I still may eventually find another Domke for my D70 & gear).
usurp

2005-08-10, 01:00

thanks guys i will probably end up getting the breakfast buffet then.
i did find 2 other sites that sold some cool bags but not what i was looking for, maybe it might be usefull for someone else, here are the links:

http://reloadbags.com/bags/list.php
http://www.freitag.ch

will add more to the list as i find them.

Swing

2005-08-10, 02:20

usurp, are you sure you are going to pass up on this one from that reloadbags.com link?

usurp

2005-08-10, 03:24

swing although its tempting but yeah i think i am going to pass
rcs

2005-08-10, 06:26

I considered buying Crumpler crippy duck....
http://www.crumplerbags.com/cartInde...pe=Bag&catId=5

but finally I bought crumpler roll o notes
http://www.crumplerbags.com/cartInde...Id=3&catI d=5

roll o notes can fit a powerbook 12", ipod 20 GB, power adapter, ipod power adapter, usb cable, power cord and about approx. 400 pages of A4 paper.

I bought roll o notes because it can take more stuff...with crippy duck I think it can only fits a powerbook, power adapter, about 200 pages A4 paper....you can't take your ipod...I think...

and you get 'third leg' stabilizer with roll o notes
http://www.laptopsupply.nl/movies.ph...5&movwidth=300
usurp

2005-08-10, 06:53

the crippy duck looks like a bigger version of the buffet.
the roll o notes looks pretty cool but is it big? i am not looking for something oversized..
Swing

2005-08-10, 06:55

usurp, yep that bag is tempting to me too but I am afraid it would bite me if I tried to unload my PB.

rcs, I hope a real Crumpler bag is as fun as it looks from that video.
ast3r3x

2005-08-10, 08:15

Just a note, since these bags don't have any hard sides, you'll want to put the screen side of the powerbook facing you, and the hard bottom facing all the gear that is in your bag. That way it won't push on the top of the screen. Of course if you have a book about the size of the PBook...or a legal pad or two, that can relieve pressure off the PBook as well if you have it turned the other way.
rcs

2005-08-10, 10:57

Hai all,

I think the roll o notes is not big at all. It fits PB 12" perfectly...and also its incredible nicely padded. It doesn't matter if you put your pb facing you or the other side, its nicely padded at the inside and outside. I compare almost all of my fav crumpler bags at the store from wee bee to crippy duck, and from roll o notes to discoid. And roll o notes is my choice, same as you I don't want a laptop bag that looks bulky(I used to have gravis backpack)

You can compare the size of the bag from this picture...

http://www.laptopsupply.nl/nudex.php

I too thinks that roll o notes is too big....but after I've seen it with my own eyes its just perfect...

Crippy duck fits 12" pb perfectly but its just too thin...

Swing: hai...it is really a lot of fun wearing crumpler while running... =) and its look funky too... =p
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-10, 11:35

usurp - I've always been a fan of STM stuff myself.

Here are a couple links to two of their shoulder bags: small loft and small drift drift for 12" laptop models.

I like the design of the small loft, but the small drift may carry more. If it is anything like their XS Drift (a day pack which I own - great for travel) I can vouch that it will have *heaps* of compartments which are quite discretely organised.

If the shoulder bags don't grab you, perhaps check out a backpack design. Have a poke around the site - you might find something you like.
usurp

2005-08-10, 14:33

rcs i dont mean to sound gay but are there nude pictures of a guy with the bags. the girl looks tiny and i am 6'1 so if there are nude pictures of a 6 foot guy with the bags it might help me better getting the sizing right hehe

mac + the stm small loft looks more interesting then the small drift. the drift looks like a normal laptop bag.

Swing

2005-08-10, 14:42

ummm, maybe I better clarify that when I said the video looked fun I was not referring to the nude guy himself so much as to how happy he seemed to be with the Crumpler. Maybe when I buy a Crumpler I should do so for both my wife and I . . .

EDIT: And I do not mean to imply that the video guy or, hypothetically, any of his friends of either sex are enjoying his or their Crumpler bag(s) in any sense other than as suit(s) him or them.

Last edited by Swing : 2005-08-10 at 18:31.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-10, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
mac + the stm small loft looks more interesting then the small drift. the drift looks like a normal laptop bag.
Yeah - as I said - I much prefer the design of the small loft. That will be my next laptop bag.

I don't actually own the small drift - I have their day pack called the xs drift which is perfect for a digital camera, sunnies, guide book, pens, mobile/cell phone (if you own one), PDA (or GameBoy ) and iPod, etc. Used it travelling for the past 5 weeks - very handy.
usurp

2005-08-11, 01:00

I use this Eastpak "Tape" back. Holds a Nikon FE, a Nikon D70, ipod mini, moleskine, tungsten, and 2 pens.

http://asia.eastpak.com/products/_acc/tape.jpg

my wife uses this bag for her pbook. fits a pbook, her notebooks, small makeup bag and some other crap. its limited edition.

i am checking their website now and it seems they got some new messenger bags, there is actually an eastpak dealer in Kuwait so i will pass by and check them out tonight.