User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 27 of 27 First Previous 23 24 25 26 [27]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2022-05-17, 19:01

I agree. Clint knows he's 176, Ford thinks he's still 46 (and seems to get severely injured on the set in recent years, throwing big wrenches into production/shooting schedules and logistics, etc.).

Anyone hiring Ford needs it in the contract "you ain't doing shit in the way of stunts...don't even ask. We have a timeframe and a budget to maintain, and you don't help with either lately."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-20, 13:59

I thought Stranger Things had its own thread but I can't find it. Anyway, here are the first 8 minutes of the new series that is about to release.. I have to admit I'm really looking forward to watching this series.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
Tweeting @kierankelly

2022-05-20, 15:14

it feels like it's been 10 years since the last season came out.

Nothing will top the first season of this show, but the other seasons were pretty good. Definitely looking forward to this one.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-05-21, 05:47

Since Brad is tardy, episode 3 of Star Trek Strange New Worlds was excellent.

¡Damned!

2022-05-24, 07:51

I caught up on all 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds over the weekend and yeah, I can see myself sticking with it. Looking forward to them even.

And Prehistoric Planet – narrated/hosted by David Attenborough (!) – is legitimately amazing. 🦕🦖

So it goes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-05-24, 08:14

Haven't looked into PP yet. The trailer makes me go "uhhhh maybe he should retire at some point", to be honest. I get it, his voiceovers are iconic…

I've also read that it's definitely not safe for children.

Only seen two SNW eps so far and, yep, it's nice to have some 90s'-style Trek again but with much higher production values (but sadly much shorter seasons).
¡Damned!

2022-05-24, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I've also read that it's definitely not safe for children.
If you mean like, nature is brutal, youngins get et, then yeah. I could see that upsetting some kids.
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2022-05-24, 08:36

Better Call Saul mid-season finale…took about 57 minutes to actually get to the point/have something happen.

Glad this show is winding down. This season has been a bit of a slog. It’s just all over the place.

Around the :40 mark last night I was *this close* to bailing, and I wondered, out loud (I’m the only one here), “for crying out loud, is anything going to happen on this episode - how many shots are we going to see someone sitting in a sewer?! - or are they just going to cram in some shocking bullshit into the final two minutes so they can get a ginned-up cliffhanger?”

Well…

I’ve genuinely enjoyed all the previous seasons. This one, somehow, comes across differently and has been more of a chore. I’m glad this is its final season. After the past 2-3 episodes, I’d hate knowing I was looking at investing in another whole season of all this atomic-level “quirk” (aka interminable buildup/meandering punctuated by cruel, random violence in the closing seconds).

Hard to feel bad/sorry for Jimmy or Kim at this point, which makes it an even tougher thing to follow. Even if the main characters of a movie or TV series are shitheads, there has to be some sort of redeeming, likable scrap to hold onto/root for. Haven’t felt that in a while, and certainly don’t today. Everything Howard said about them, to them, was 100% true. Kim wrecked her life, throwing in with Jimmy. For the first time in the show’s run, I no longer really care about what happens to her. She’s damaged and vile. By choice. She’s no innocent, helpless victim. I see that now. She might’ve been, years back. But she’s as much of a soulless lizard as Jimmy. If she winds up taking one to the head by the series finale…oh well.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-05-24, 08:57

Haven't seen any of season 6 yet. I wonder if it has the same problem as Star Trek Picard season 2 — COVID restrictions require scenes to have very few actors on set at a time, so the writers are forced to write them such that teams are spread out on their own little vanity quests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Hard to feel bad/sorry for Jimmy or Kim at this point, which makes it an even tougher thing to follow. Even if the main characters of a movie or TV series are shitheads, there has to be some sort of redeeming, likable scrap to hold onto/root for. Haven’t felt that in a while, and certainly don’t today. Everything Howard said about them, to them, was 100% true. Kim wrecked her life, throwing in with Jimmy. For the first time in the show’s run, I no longer really care about what happens to her. She’s damaged and vile. By choice. She’s no innocent, helpless victim. I see that now. She might’ve been, years back. But she’s as much of a soulless lizard as Jimmy. If she winds up taking one to the head by the series finale…oh well.
Well, I guess you could argue that for Walter White as well. That whole show is basically about the trajectory from someone you feel sorry for (cancer, too embarrassed to talk it out with his family, finds less legitimate ways to work around it but in doing so ruins his relationships) to someone you kind of don't. A descent into amorality. Arguably, that's what BCS has been about as well.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-05-24, 08:59

Last night's episode of BCS was a "breather", but golly it was also tragically earth shattering. Let's not go into spoilers, but DAMN.

psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2022-05-24, 09:32

That's what I'm talking about. Cruel and unfair, but that's how life goes sometimes, huh? The wrong (and undeserving) person pays for the sins/deeds of others. Was still a snail of an episode, though. After about that fifth sewer shot, I kept thinking "okay, is there something special about this sewer that I should be noting (besides the obvious, its location)?"

Chucker, I never watched Breaking Bad, so I only know the rough outline. But yeah. Still tough to pull for some characters when they just get so low and beyond redemption. Makes for good drama, but you still just want to take a shower afterwards. I know I couldn't watch BB or BCS-style fare all the time. Too draining and bleak.

It almost calls for an Al Bundy or Jack Tripper palate cleanser. '

No BCS spoilers below, but a semi-off-topic(?) rant centered around last night's episode and its coverage in the media this morning:

Off-topic (click to toggle):
PS - I know I've griped about this during the runs of The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, but just taking a random cruise around my usual sites this morning (including YouTube), I'm astounded by just how many inconsiderate, clue-starved boneheads - many of them so-called "professional" writers - are putting last night's details in their headlines (and photo captions, etc.). I can't think of anything more unprofessional, ill-mannered and jerkwitted, less than 24 hours - hell, less than 12 hours - after a show's airing.

Can these idiots not a) reword their headlines/opening paragraphs or b) maybe wait 2-3 days before blabbing stuff in an impossible-to-miss way? How hard is that? And, as with the two Disney+ shows mentioned above, I'm not going to some genre-based, spoiler-oriented site where I'd expect to see such things openly discussed and shared. I'm just going to regular news/entertainment aggregators, and places like YouTube...where nobody can seem to exercise a bit of restraint and courtesy about how they write their headlines.

Morons, all.

And, no...the "solution" isn't "well, just stay off the Internet for 2-11 days". Uh...no. The solution is for people writing articles and reviews for publications, websites and blogs seen by gazillions of people to stop being such inconsiderate, unprofessional oblivitards and cunts.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-24 at 10:33.
chucker

2022-05-25, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Haven't looked into PP yet. The trailer makes me go "uhhhh maybe he should retire at some point", to be honest. I get it, his voiceovers are iconic…
This is really more of a comment on Macs than Prehistoric Planet, but I just got my M1 Pro MacBook Pro and… wtf?? The sound is surprisingly good for a laptop, but more than that, THE DISPLAY. OMG. Not only very sharp (slightly higher DPI than my old one, I think?), but then the HDR goes on and… what the hell. So bright.

Anyway, carry on.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

Today, 07:59

There are so many shows that hit this weekend! I just don't have time to get all of them in even with the extra day!

I still have three episodes of Halo to watch. Stranger Things 4Pt1 dropped this morning. Obi-wan is out now with two episodes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.