User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Offical AppleNova First Car Thread!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Offical AppleNova First Car Thread!!!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-15, 14:37

From WR's recent thread about getting his license and it derailed into talking about first cars. Here are mine.

Here's the first car I drove, a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood, stolen with 165,000 on the odometer.

And here's what I drive now, a 1994 Ford Explorer, just passed 183,000 last weekend.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Last edited by kieran : 2007-11-15 at 15:01.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-11-15, 14:52

In the background is my ride at home, in the foreground is my ride at school (sadly the insurance company won't let me bring it here). The former is a Chevy Nova, old enough to drink and vote (it was made in 1986) but still capable of 40+ MPG highway.

It has an optional nautical attachment:

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-11-15, 14:58

I'm still driving mine. It's a 1998 Honda Civic EX sedan, silver. I don't really have a pic. Right now, it needs a paint job, has a dent on its driver's side rear bumper (I've never been in an accident, but my car has. In parking lots. While parked. With me in the building, out of sight. Twice.), and has a hole in its center pipe of the exhaust. Otherwise, it's still running well. It's a little over to 95,000 miles (just over 153,000km). It's also paid off.

Here is someone else's:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-11-15, 15:04

1990 Toyota Camry.

It looked mostly like this one, but without the rust.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-15, 15:19

1994 Dogde Caravan. Had 98,000 miles on it when I was fortunate to inherit it from my parents. Drove it until it died with nearly 150,000 miles on it. It was a sad day. Pictures when I can find one.

Come waste your time with me
zsummers
Avast!

2007-11-15, 15:35

I'm still driving my first car. A maroonish-red '94 Nissan Altima. I was there when my dad bought it--it was the first new car our family ever owned (first even close to new, really). I bought it at blue-book from my parents when I graduated high-school, and now it resides with me here in Southern California, 13 years and 180,000 miles later, most of which I personally put on it.

I can't imagine driving anything else, but--alas--someday I will have to. The fuel tank sprung a leak on my honeymoon, but I just had to get it fixed. It couldn't go down like that.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-11-15, 15:57

ha....green gremlin....bet that you suckas

like this, minus the mag wheels and freaky dude in front of it...probably a 74 or there about

damn that was just an awful car...bad seats, bad seating, awful driving, ugly as sin....but i loved it at the time

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-11-15, 16:35

My first car was a 1980 VW Rabbit. Bright red, automatic. For me it was all about the freedom, the freedom to go wherever I wanted. I loved that car for what it represented to me.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-15, 17:03

'76 Jeep Cherokee.

Imagine this in baby blue with white sides...

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2007-11-15, 17:06

1967 Pontiac LeMans. Big Block 350 with a two speed automatic transmission.

Put it into a tree when I was 16. Too stupid to realize it had studded snow tires on the back. Please note, there was no snow on the ground. Spun right out from under me while turning a corner at a high rate of speed! Luckily I took out the side of the car and didn't hit the thing head on.

Or as the police said, lucky for you, you hit a pine tree on Oak st. and not an oak tree on Pine st!! That was 1978 for those of you keeping score at home.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-11-15, 17:40

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, it's not even 5 and it's dark already.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-11-15, 17:41

First car, 1987 Honda Accord LX (Although mine was gray), sold it at 225k KM / 139,800 miles.

Now I drive a 2004 Toyota Corolla LE, with just 78,000km/48,500 Miles. (This isn't mine, but its the same colour).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-15, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
1994 Dogde Caravan. Had 98,000 miles on it when I was fortunate to inherit it from my parents. Drove it until it died with nearly 150,000 miles on it. It was a sad day. Pictures when I can find one.

Dude you're lucky that thing drove at all. The 90s caravans were among the most in-the-shop, unreliable pieces of shit known to man (though for minivans they at least looked OK). Bunches of those things had transmission failure, wire shorts... all kinds of crazy shit. My sister had one and when we eventually went online to see other people's experiences it was like a class action suit waiting to happen.

...into the light of a dark black night.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-15, 18:04

Transmission failed 3 times total in the life of the van, lucky for us the first two times were still within the warranty period and the third time we were able to get them to fix it for cheap because the third failure happened within 10,000 miles of the last fix.

When the thing finally died it had just about everything wrong with it that it could. The turn signals didn't work, the headlights worked if they felt like it, the radio didn't work, no heat, no AC, busted thermostat, extreme difficulty starting in cold weather, extreme difficulty starting in warm weather, the brakes were intermittent at best, and the sliding door (back in the day when minivans only had one sliding door) wouldn't open.

Keep in mind that this was a very well maintained vehicle. My dad is cray about his car care and brings every one of his vehicles in for routine maintenance based on manufacture recommendations. This thing was in for oil changes every 3,000-5,000 miles, and had all the fluids replaced at the right times, tune ups done...it just had enough somewhere around the 145,000 mile mark.

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-15, 18:12

Jeez, my '95/'96[1] Cherokee is still kicking[2] at 185kmi, and I don't do crap to it. I think right now I'm at about 7k on the oil. Hmm, I might want to check to see if it needs more added...

[1] It's a rebuild from two other Cherokees, one a '95, one a '96. I affectionately refer to it as FrankenJeep. If you know where to look, you can see the weld seam between the front half and the back half.

[2] Okay, so the rear wiper has a short, and the right roof gutter has a slow leak I've never been able to track down, but otherwise it's perfect. Really. I swear. [3]

[3] Woo! Footnotes!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-15, 18:14

DMB: yep that sounds like a 90s Caravan. Piece-O-Shit (even brand new they were shit).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-15, 18:20

My first was a hand-me-down from my Mom. It was a 1986 blue, four-door Honda Civic. Amazingly, I found no good pics of one during a quick Google search. I found one, but bear in mind that mine had none of this shit hanging off/stuck on it...

But mine was that same body style and the exact color. Just a lot less lamed-out.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-15, 18:22

So you were missing your rear passenger door as well?

You said same body style

You must have been the coolest kid on the block
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-15, 18:25

Just mentally remove the stickers, spoiler and giant exhaust pipe, add a rear door and a bit more stock wheels and that was my car...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-11-15, 19:18

Ive had 4 cars in the 9 years Ive been driving.

1999-2005: 1999 GMC Jimmy 2door Blue. Put about 75,000 miles, owned from new.

Looked like this, but Blue.

2005-2006: 2006 GMC Envoy silver. This car was a dream. Put about 10,000miles in 11 months on it before I was involved in an accident and it was totaled, owned from new.

Looked pretty much exactly like this.

2006-2007: 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Black. Put about 10,000 miles in 10 months on it before there was an issue with the bank and I traded it in, owned frm new.

Like this one, but mine had the euro ground effects kit that came from the factory.

2007-current: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES White. I have about 9,200 miles on it and have had it 8 months. I hate this car, but it was bought new and runs well and gets about 30mpg, but I really dislike it.

This one, minus the sunroof.

As you can see, I've owned a lot of cars and I'm already planning on getting rid of my current one hopefully in about a year.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-11-15, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
My first car was a 1980 VW Rabbit. Bright red, automatic. For me it was all about the freedom, the freedom to go wherever I wanted. I loved that car for what it represented to me.
We had a '78 Rabbit that my parents bought as the car of us kids - fun little car!

My daily driver and current love:
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2007-11-15, 22:00

This is my first new car, a 2007 Toyota Corolla S. My baby!

Couldn't find a good picture of my first car (a 1992 Toyota Camry that I put about 30,000 miles on before using it as a $1000 tradein ). I think I managed to put about $3000 in repairs on that vehicle (which I paid $3500 for) over the course of 3 years.

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-11-15, 22:03

2002 Ford Focus. Hand-me-down from my sis. Payed the rest of the car off myself
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-15, 23:10

My first car was my grandparents' old car. If you think that sounds bad, I would like to inform you that my grandparents are millionaires...and then I will tell you to totally ignore that fact, because they sure do. My grandpa is the biggest horder in the world, so he did not get rid of it until...yeah. It was a baby blue Buick (my family has a long history with Buick that I can't wait to depart from) from the eighties. I don't know exactly what kind it was, which is just as well, because a drunk driver totaled it before I ever actually drove it (just after I moved to Vegas). I'll be honest - I was not unhappy. And yes, I know that makes me a snob (it was free, but I can complain, dammit!).

My first "real" car was (is) a '93/'94 (I forget) Ford Taurus wagon. It's a medium blue. My stepmom left it here when she, uh, divorced my dad and moved back to Wisconsin, and so I sort of inherited it (not awkward in the slightest!). It gets me where I need to go, but I have a feeling it won't for much longer - the locks went out on it this week. Still, my dad seems to hope it will last just long enough for me to move out with it, because the second I move out (which, coincidentally, is also when I plan on coming out to my family) it becomes My Problem, and "if" something goes wrong with it at any point after that precise second then that's what I deserve for abandoning him and/or being homosexual. Some parents want to make sure that they're sending their kids out into the world with the tools they need to succeed. Not my dad. He's the type who throws you out of the nest with a broken wing.

My dad wanted us to post our holiday wish lists on the fridge. I posted a picture of a 2002 Freelander. We'll see how this goes.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-16, 04:07

it is a 04 rx 330, just at 100k
¡Damned!

2007-11-16, 10:33

1976 Dodge Dart Swinger...very much like this one except a lot shinier and a lot blacker. God I loved that car.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-16, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123 View Post

it is a 04 rx 330, just at 100k

Hmmm... taking this, in addition to your "spoil my man" thread, and your age, and I have to wonder....
Enki

2007-11-16, 12:04

1970 AMC Ambassador SST. Big as a boat, good for an 11 person roadtrip! The fun driving was turning the steering wheel almost 45 degrees before the front wheels did enough to be noticeable!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-16, 12:44

I'm getting to where I really love cars from the 70's.

I'd almost take that Dart Swinger (just for the name alone) over the expected, clichéd turquoise '57 Chevy or '63 Corvette.

I'd love to find a funky car like that but snaz it up (in a cool, classy Chip Foose way, not the idiotic "Pimp My Ride" nonsense...I really don't need fiber optic curb-feelers, LCD in the steering wheel and a 40,000-watt bowel-loosening sound system).

But that Dart Swinger, lowered a bit, some nice wheels, painted a nice sparkle candy tangerine, a snappy two-tone leather interior and vintage-looking dash (but with modern features/conveniences like iPod dock and GPS) is the kind of stuff I like...retro/funky on the outside, modern/high-tech under-the-hood and in the guts.

EDIT:

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-11-16 at 14:16.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-11-16, 13:18

1987 Suzuki Samurai...

I still miss the little bugger. It could go in the snow like no other car.