User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Happy Birthday to admin. Alcimedes, and to all the Virgos and Libras coming up!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy Birthday to admin. Alcimedes, and to all the Virgos and Libras coming up!
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-09-06, 22:09

My birthday is Sept 12 (yup, always knew my 30th year was going to suck... just didn't realize it was going to take such a turn for the worse on the *last day*). I'll be goddamned if anyone else is going to make me feel bad for celebrating it, even if I feel like doing so at the stroke of freaking midnight.

If it were on the 11th, I'd feel the same way. If they have a problem with *me* celebrating *my own birthday*, then they have serious issues, and can go elsewhere.

9-11 sucked, plain and simple. But I'll be damned if I'm going to ignore my own birthday every year because of it. In fact at sunrise on the morning after, on my birthday, I made a pledge to myself to make sure that I did my damnedest to enjoy that day, because *I was still alive to*. Every year on 9-11, I pause and reflect. And on 9-12, I rejoice at being alive.

And no one, simply no one, is going to take that away from me.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-06, 22:21

Applenut: I don't think the things you're experiencing (with people not paying attention to moments of silence and whatnot - which I agree is disrespectful) is widespread. California and Berkeley in particular is a place where political motives will often trump emotional ones. What can I say, people there are just a little more loony than the rest of us.

I recall that you are from NY and so I know this is harder for you than someone not from NY (generally), but in most places (Chicago too) people are very respectful of the day and its meaning. That said there's a difference between being mindful of the day, and sort of expecting that being mindful also means no personal celebrations of any kind for anyone around you.

Truthfully, as long as they're not interrupting a formal remembrance of some kind, you should be happy for the people who are able to find something to smile about on that day. You can bet your bottom dollar the people who celebrated that heinous act want us all to be sorrowful and upset as the anniversary approaches. They want us to suffer emotionally, so better to celebrate that we are still alive and have good things to live for as Kick mentioned, right?

...into the light of a dark black night.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-09-06, 22:45

yes, that's what i was sort of hoping, that berkeley and california are just odd and nuts. but it still bugs me that some people are like that. and its just weird to me.

i have no issue with celebrating a birthday or something else. its not your fault that you were born on that day or something positive happened that day and you werent responsible for any of the negative events of those days. i just took issue with your life goes on and negative attitude towards people who see the day as solemn and a day to mourn. september 11 took a very hard toll on me, and still does, i know when that day comes ill be a bit of a mess for the whole day....but id never get upset with someone for celebrating something that day but i would get upset if they tried to impose it on me.

last year I was going to SF with a bunch of people from a dorm and it was the first week of school so it was a welcome week activity. I was with a friend of mine and this strange indian kid from her dorm came up to us and tried to strike up a conversation.... topic of where we lived came up, and i told him NY, and he said LA, and I said something like, oh, i've been to LA but i wound up spending more time in traffic than anything else....and he then said, well, NY has that whole crumbling skyscraper problem. It took me a couple seconds to register this comment and believe he just said it. And the minute I did a trigger just went off. If I weren't with a beautiful girl I would have murdered him. As it was, it was very apparent that I was offended and I asked him to leave.....and he said, what, what did I say wrong smiling the whole time. At which point I told him to get the fuck away from me or else I will beat the shit out of you. Still smiling he did this weird twirl and then walked away.

That's the kind of bullshit I get to experience here at "liberal berkeley"
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-06, 23:02

Get used to it, and keep your temper in check dude. There are plenty of loony-bin candidates living there. Best to let them do their flighty little dances and keep yourself out of the county lockup.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-09-08, 11:34

Happy Birthday, Moogs!

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Love,

Carol
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-08, 18:32

Danke.

(check your PM)...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-09-08, 19:50

Moogs, as your birthday present, I'll tell you that it is 4-0 Canada over Slovakia - heading into the third period. Slovaks would have been better off not separating from the Czechs.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-09-08, 20:11

I'll give you an extra goal in the third. 5-0.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-08, 20:51

Happy Birthday for yesterday Moogs!

You know what I say ... treat yourself to one of these - from your namesake (or famous great-Uncle)! [CENTER][/center]

All I want is a simple life
twitter
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-12, 08:48

I do believe the g is having his birthday today.....

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-12, 10:03

Tomorrow, actually, but close enough. Happy Birthday "Mr. Gelding"!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-12, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Tomorrow, actually, but close enough. Happy Birthday "Mr. Gelding"!
Must be due to the time difference...it is Monday morning where I live
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-09-13, 12:32

Happy Birthday to thegelding!

Hope you have a terrific day.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-09-13, 12:43

It's the Perpetual Birthday thread!

Happy Birthday to yoouuuu* <19th verse>
*insert birthdaymembernamevariable
xionja

2004-09-13, 18:54

yay for thegelding!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-13, 21:30

HB g!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-09-13, 22:23

oh, how sweet...i would type more but i am using my new iBook and have had many shots of tequila....

nice

brainwave patterns starting to either shift down or gear up...not sure which

tomorrow shall be painful

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-09-13, 22:35

This thread is going to be SO tired by the time it rolls around to my birthday.....
I turned 37 and all I got was this lousy thread.....hehehe

EDIT: Cool that I share a bday week with TheGelding!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2004-09-13 at 22:46.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-13, 22:41

Oh man, I've always paid little attention to astrology, but just recently my roommate started getting *really* into it. He's not like living his life by it or whatever, and he's sticking solely with sun signs. But he's started placing every relationship he has behind astrology filters.

he's generally a very critical person, and isn't usually prey for thing like this, but I guess what got him interested was when he was hitting on a girl in a club and she turned him down solely based on his sign(sagittarius) which she accurately guessed and began to spout off all this stuff about him, that was apparently accurate enough for him to start digging through books.

Well, the result is, I still don't believe in the stuff, but now I can't go a day without hearing something about it.

His conclusion is that there probably isn't really all that much too it, but, if the character assessments and such are anything above 70% accurate, than he'll probably continue incorporating it into his life, so far they've been (according to him) about 80-90% accurate.

Eitherway, A funny thing happened when I was reading a chapter from one of his books(that he asked me to read), I'm a Gemini, and it said that Geminis generally get the gist of things really quickly and don't feel inclined to read, tending to skip around through paragraphs. The funny thing was, I had just been doing exactly that.

But yea, for the most part I don't really care, it doesn't bother me, I don't bother it. Though I must say that Astrology has some cool names

Zodiac
Libra
Gemini
Sagittarius
Capricorn

Oh yea, the other thing that I'll take from astrology is that Libra+gemini=ideal relationship, and my girlfriend just happens to be a libra, fancy that eh?

Oh yea, btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALCIMEDES! your handle is cooler than most astrological names combined!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-13, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
My birthday is Sept 12 (yup, always knew my 30th year was going to suck... just didn't realize it was going to take such a turn for the worse on the *last day*). I'll be goddamned if anyone else is going to make me feel bad for celebrating it, even if I feel like doing so at the stroke of freaking midnight.

If it were on the 11th, I'd feel the same way. If they have a problem with *me* celebrating *my own birthday*, then they have serious issues, and can go elsewhere.
Victor wooten, the bassist from bela fleck and the flecktones, and generally regarded as one of the better bass players around. His birthday is on the 11th. It was weird because I remember thinking "man, it'd be pretty awkward for it to be your birthday now" and then turns out this bassist, who I spent a week with in nashville, and who is one of my bass heroes, is in just that spot!

Well, it's not much but Happy birthday to you to
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-13, 22:47

Man, I totally didn't participate in this thread, it's a whole lot of birthdays!

Happy birthday to all!!

live and be merry!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-09-24, 10:54

Hey, Mac+!!!

Hope you have (had?) a fantastic birthday!

I guess in your part of the world, your birthday happened 'yesterday' by now, right?

So, sorry this is belated. (damn! )

But *here*, it's still your birthday (YAY!!!); so, technically, you can keep celebrating. woohoo!

Have a happy.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-24, 11:03

October 17th, here. I guess that makes me a Libra?

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-09-24 at 11:51.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-24, 11:14

Happy be-lated B-day, Mac+.

Hope the celebration was a good one!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-26, 21:08

Thanks Carol & Moogs - I didn't have a huge celebration or anything (must be getting too old) - but I did get away for the weekend with some friends down to Rye (on the Victorian peninsula). We all kicked back and generally ate/drank too much. This coincided with the AFL Grand Final ... although none of us were really that interested in it, we did end up watching it. Anyway, we all had an enjoyable and relaxing time just chilling-out and recharging the batteries.

Thanks again for your good wishes - it's always nice to receive birthday wishes - moreso from friends I haven't met (yet) on the other side of the world!

All I want is a simple life
twitter