Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

The look of the Forum is great.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The look of the Forum is great.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-22, 04:47

Just wanted to say, the Forum has a great look and feel. The grey is professional and serious without being boring and it's much better than having a white background.

The functionality is good too - it's easy to find threads and reply and track replies to your replies.

It even doesn't work properly with IE (I've read from the other thread), so congratulations all round.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-22, 15:59

Thank you for the kind compliments.

You can direct your compliments to Apple's web designers for the idea (see here), LoCash for choosing that page's style, and both me and LoCash for implementing it in code.

The reason parts don't work in IE is because IE is pure crap. PNGs are displayed wrong and the CSS box model is screwed all to hell. The next site update "unfortunately" might break even more in IE.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
adam_tj

2005-01-22, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The next site update "unfortunately" might break even more in IE.
What do you mean, unfortunately!!! Embed something that say, deletes My Documents every time they visit!

Last edited by adam_tj : 2005-01-22 at 16:32. Reason: Spelling (Again)
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-01-22, 17:49

Also thank Apple's UI designers since most of this look and feel was their brainchild, we just saw it realized and reapplied to vBulletin.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-22, 17:55

Quote:
Thank you for the kind compliments.

You can direct your compliments to Apple's web designers for the idea (see here), LoCash for choosing that page's style, and both me and LoCash for implementing it in code.

The reason parts don't work in IE is because IE is pure crap. PNGs are displayed wrong and the CSS box model is screwed all to hell. The next site update "unfortunately" might break even more in IE.
Just wanted to say thanks - ingratitude is an ugly thing. Re IE, I'd have been dispappointed if it had worked properly. I removed IE from my PB today (leaving Safari, Camino and Firefox) and it felt good
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 18:02

Just a note that not everybody who frequents this forum uses a Mac, much less has access to a computer that offers a choice of a non-IE browser.

So my request to the powers that be: at least keep this board functional for those of us in the Windows domain; cosmetics may be left by the wayside.

Last edited by LudwigVan : 2005-01-22 at 18:07. Reason: Bloody thing spontaneously posted without my say-so (???)...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-22, 18:16

You see, this is where we're facing a problem.

We have to either drop IE "support" or forego adding some features we're been drooling over. Proper overflow support in individual posts is just one example that I've put a great deal of work into implementing (not available here on the live site yet).

And, for the record, in the month of January '05, only 10% of our page loads have come from IE users.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-01-22, 19:07

I normally don't take my computer to school, so when I am in the library, I have to use a PC. I tried to install firefox, but don't have the needed privs.
Enki

2005-01-25, 23:27

I finally took a look at the Forum front page, I usually just let the tabs take me directly to the individual forums. All I can say is *wow*!

Nice job guys!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-01-26, 12:11

If you don't have access to a non IE browser, make it so you do.

If your school or place of work won't allow you to install FireFox (IMO, the best Windows alternative to IE) make it so they allow it.

Talk to your IT guys, talk to the technology departments, send them links to sites that explain how dangerous using Internet Explorer is. Show them FireFox. Tell them that the department of homeland security encourages users to find an alternative to Internet Explorer because it's that unsafe. All jokes about the Department of Homeland Security aside, that's a pretty serious thing in my opinion.

To the admins...would it be possible to detect when someone tries to access the site with Internet Explorer and have a message on the front page for them to encourage them to download FireFox? I don't know if that's possible, or practical. But it would seem so if you have statistics of what browsers people are using to access this page.

Just another way to spread FireFox and get rid of IE. Something that can't be done soon enough if you ask me.

Come waste your time with me
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-26, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
If you don't have access to a non IE browser, make it so you do.

If your school or place of work won't allow you to install FireFox (IMO, the best Windows alternative to IE) make it so they allow it.

Talk to your IT guys, talk to the technology departments, send them links to sites that explain how dangerous using Internet Explorer is. Show them FireFox. Tell them that the department of homeland security encourages users to find an alternative to Internet Explorer because it's that unsafe. All jokes about the Department of Homeland Security aside, that's a pretty serious thing in my opinion.

To the admins...would it be possible to detect when someone tries to access the site with Internet Explorer and have a message on the front page for them to encourage them to download FireFox? I don't know if that's possible, or practical. But it would seem so if you have statistics of what browsers people are using to access this page.

Just another way to spread FireFox and get rid of IE. Something that can't be done soon enough if you ask me.
Looking at this in IE (not from the Mac obviously) and it doesn't quite look at good - the headers at the top of the page don't format properly. Moral is use Safari or Firefox (or Camino if that's your bag).
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-01-26, 13:16

Yes, dont let go of future improvements just so IE can be used on these boards. Its just not worth it.
autodata
hustlin

2005-01-26, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I normally don't take my computer to school, so when I am in the library, I have to use a PC. I tried to install firefox, but don't have the needed privs.
Let them know that you want Firefox on the machines. All they need is a little motivation.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-26, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Looking at this in IE (not from the Mac obviously) and it doesn't quite look at good - the headers at the top of the page don't format properly. Moral is use Safari or Firefox (or Camino if that's your bag).
That's the just the look of the page in IE. I personally don't really give a rip about that.

Perhaps I should clarify further that my request was to retain at least basic functionality in IE. Of course, with the computers to which I have access (Windows only, alas), I have Firefox installed. As far as using compliant browsers go, I have that covered. I certainly understand that this site is not only geared toward Apple-/Mac-enthusiasts, but promoting the platform by forming this forum to work best (and exclusively?) on Mac browsers. And God bless you for it! But there are times when I and others may want to come here and must use whatever computers are at our disposal. And in this day and age - as matters stand now - it's a pretty safe bet the only browser on hand will be IE.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 20:40

I didn't really want to start a new thread about this, but I have a humble request.
You know that icon in the bottom left of every post that indicates whether or not the user is online? Would it be possible to add the user's profile as a link for that button? The other two icons (reputation and report) have hyperlinks, so why not the first one?

And of course, the forums look great! (If it was otherwise, you'd hear about it

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
adam_tj

2005-01-28, 20:53

could someone put spaces between these please?

Thank you.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 23:15

It is being worked on
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 23:39

Quote:
You see, this is where we're facing a problem.

We have to either drop IE "support" or forego adding some features we're been drooling over. Proper overflow support in individual posts is just one example that I've put a great deal of work into implementing (not available here on the live site yet).

And, for the record, in the month of January '05, only 10% of our page loads have come from IE users.
What about this? (IE7)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-28, 23:50

And exactly how many IE users either a) know about that project or b) are able to install it (offices, kiosks, etc)? I'd wager not a whole lot.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 00:08

Yeah, thats exactly what I thought... but it is better then "no support" for IE...
autodata
hustlin

2005-01-29, 12:26

You guys are in a great position to just ignore IE. I'd say take advantage of the fact that you can do it since there are those of us that wish we could.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-30, 17:23

any chance a better "poll" icon (thats what the tooltip says on mouse-over) could be made? the X doesn't really convey it... Maybe a "?" (check/tic, opt-v) would work better... Also, this could be added to the regular forum display like the sticky flag and new post arrow.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-01-31, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
PortableFirefox? http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 12:15

Good idea, but I think the point is that we already know about FireFox, others don't. And they're missing out since they're stuck using what is widely considered to be one of the (if not the) worst browser ever written for any platform.

The idea is to spread better applications and make people realize that their is life outside the walls Microsoft has put up.

"In a world without walls and ceilings there is no need for Gates and Windows."

Come waste your time with me