Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

World Cup 2010

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
World Cup 2010
Page 17 of 17 First Previous 13 14 15 16 [17]  Thread Tools
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-07-12, 15:33

I agree with adambrennan. That was a pretty... inglorious final. The Netherlands went for it. De Jong's karate kick into Alonso's sternum? A yellow card?

I still loved the game, though.

gibberish
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-07-12, 15:36

Congrats, AWR: excellent predictions and a Spanish victory!

The predictions in my last post were dire, but I loved watching the football anyway. Next time I'll be in my thirties.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Next time I'll be in my thirties.
Strange coincidence, I thought about the same thing yesterday. I brought it up with my soccer watching friend and we both agreed it was a shocking thought. At least I'm 2.5 months younger than her.

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the pool. I'll see you here in 4 years!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-07-12, 16:38

Anybody see the hilarious footage of Castillas kissing his reporter girlfriend - during a post-game TV interview?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-12, 21:43

I like it. BTW I discovered earlier that the Dutch won't be making much noise until 2018. 18 of their 23 players will be 30 or older in 2014. Giovani will be almost 40. Only Van der Wiel and Elia will be in their mid-20s, and a couple guys late 20s. I didn't realize Kuyt was so old and Robben under 30. They look the opposite. Koyt looks like a college kid and Robben looks like he's 33 not 26.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-12, 22:12

The Germans should make lots of noise next time.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2010-07-12, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I like it. BTW I discovered earlier that the Dutch won't be making much noise until 2018. 18 of their 23 players will be 30 or older in 2014. Giovani will be almost 40. Only Van der Wiel and Elia will be in their mid-20s, and a couple guys late 20s. I didn't realize Kuyt was so old and Robben under 30. They look the opposite. Koyt looks like a college kid and Robben looks like he's 33 not 26.
Van Rockinghorse (or however it's spelled) has played his last match as a professional, I believe...it was referenced no fewer than 1800 times on ESPN Radio when I was listening to the first half. So, he won't be a factor anyway...but you never know with the Dutch! There's always a chance with them, more so than any other of the smaller countries in FIFA.

2014 may be a tough ask for any European team, though...in Brazil, with that backing, I don't see how they do any worse than the finals. So says the person who predicted a trophy for them this year and promptly ate dirt.

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-07-13, 01:23

Here's the link I referenced above...
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-07-13, 03:23

Yeah. The next World Cup is definitely going to be Brazil's.

Unleeeeess.... the Brazilians don't get their shit together, as has been rumoured they won't, and the World Cup is given to the United States to host, as has been rumoured it will...

...but they said South Africa wouldn't get it together and they did, magnificently.

gibberish
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-13, 07:07

There's rumors that Brazil will have the World Cup taken away, and given to the US?
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-07-13, 08:18

Yeah... there are. But there were rumours that FIFA had an American Plan B if the South Africans couldn’t sort it out.

Apparently Brazil are quite behind. But they’re bound to get it together.

Edit: not just rumours.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...up-2014-delays

gibberish
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-13, 09:10

That's the story every time though, wasn't SA massively behind schedule only 2 years ago?
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-07-13, 10:57

Yeah. There's not really any doubt Brazil's going to make it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-07-13, 11:10

The World Cup consists of a few dozen football games held in stadiums that seat 80,000-100,000 people.

Isn't that like a regular weekend in Brazil? What's the problem?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-13, 22:40

Brazil just needs to declare martial law in the favela neighborhoods, and barricade it with a 20' razor wire fence and they're golden (makes the south side of Chicago look like West Side Story with nerf knives). Literally guerilla warfare with cops... getting shot up with RPGs in broad daylight, etc. There is zero law in and around the favelas as I understand it from a long-form news special I saw. Very sad. The cops there are corrupt as well, like in Mexico... they end up getting paid off by the drug / gun lords.

They're not losing the Cup next time but it would be pretty awesome to see Germany beat them on their home turf.

AWR
Veteran Member

2010-07-15, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Congrats, AWR: excellent predictions and a Spanish victory!

The predictions in my last post were dire, but I loved watching the football anyway. Next time I'll be in my thirties.
Thanks, Dorian. The Spanish win was nice; they've had great players in the past, but no success. This is a great team at their peak, overcoming a lot of regional issues that hampered their spirit on previous occasions. (That said, my wife was the only one of five siblings pulling for Spain, her brothers and sisters who still live in Barcelona can't bring themselves to yet, as much as they like the players themselves (seven of whom play for Barcelona, including five Catalan starters. The right wing in Spain uses these victories to gloat, which drives more regionally minded citizens crazy. )

As for next time and your age ... give me a break! You too Maciej

I will honor and respect the title with the same vigor displayed by Chinney in his administration!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-22, 17:54

I just wanted to wrap up with this thought for Americans involved in youth soccer:

Soccer... we're doin' it wrong. At young ages especially too much team, too little individual instruction. Soccer is not baseball or football. Like hockey, kids should spend a lot more time playing in small groups, developing individual skills... then do the team thing as they get older.

Last edited by Moogs : 2010-07-22 at 19:43.
ronmexico

2010-07-22, 20:39

Moogs...great post. I would love to see this thread branch to another that just discusses soccer.

I just had a great discussion with a friend of mine about why American soccer isn't nearly as successful as it should be. Although the article articulates it beautifully, I have my own theory that I would like to add:

I grew up playing both soccer and tennis. I was a good tennis player but a much better soccer player. I played tennis for a private school in high school and was number one on the team, but would usually lose when playing a comparable rank in public school. I met with my tennis instructor and he did something that made my game make a dramatic improvement almost instantly. For a week he had me put my racket down and work solely on footwork. We would play pretend points and my foot placement was analyzed and refined, we worked out doing exercises focused on short bursts, subtle muscle control and balance. It really changed the way I played the game and made me realize that often it isn't what your hands are doing that wins the point, but where your feet are and how quickly you adjust that makes the difference.

Playing soccer, I had good teachers that put together great teams that were quite competitive in the state, often winning for our age. But when we worked out, it was pretty predictable...sprints or long jogs. The most we focused on agility were suicides. I would like to see a change in our approach to how we train kids for soccer. We need to develop the fine muscle control, balance, and explosiveness at a young age. Without this, you simply can't develop the world class ball control you see in other countries. Perhaps many of these kids that play in Brazil on shitty grass/dirt/sand fields with make shift balls are really training their muscles to adapt. Just a thought
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-22, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
Moogs...great post. I would love to see this thread branch to another that just discusses soccer.

We need to develop the fine muscle control, balance, and explosiveness at a young age. Without this, you simply can't develop the world class ball control you see in other countries. Perhaps many of these kids that play in Brazil on shitty grass/dirt/sand fields with make shift balls are really training their muscles to adapt. Just a thought
There's no perhaps about it. Those kids playing on shitty fields with bare feet and lousy balls are the ones who learn how to control the ball as if it were attached to their feet with so much string. Because for hours a day throughout their youth, they stand on that field with a couple buddies and pass that ball back and forth, dribbling it every which way. Learning to control it from every angle and point of momentum. American kids kid the ball into the net and run around a lot. It's the mentality we get from all the other sports and it's the wrong one. Soccer is a lot more like hockey; it's about all those little skills you have to master before you can even attempt to play the right way. You can't BS your way through a soccer game anymore that a hockey game; you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Not true of the other big team sports. Big goony guys can BS their way through basketball and football, etc.

Here's the new thread.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...342#post699342

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-07-22, 22:05

That's a great analysis. My dad is from the old country and loves soccer. Incidentally, hockey is the only North American sport he also enjoys, for reasons I agree with, a similar flow and ball/puck movement pattern.