User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 33 of 49 First Previous 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-22, 22:23

Any chance you got my email sent through the site? I don't know that I mentioned who I was in the email figuring you'd know me.

With map pruning in mind: Mrs T and me have moved out east for a new post. Not sure how far but there is nothing near us. Found one awesome natural bridge and all! We haven't abandoned our other areas, just needed some resources and have set up camp. Skyway will follow in time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-22, 22:26

Got it. Considering it.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-22, 23:00

wow, am i the only one able to get in and play? ive had no problems all night

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-22, 23:10

yes?

Edit: In browser play is working and launcher play is not????

Old launcher works too....

Hmm... but new launcher does not work!!!!

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-02-22 at 23:23.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-23, 04:54

Seem to be far less chunk errors. I made it through the entirety of Parapa some 16 times before seeing a single one. A lone Stalfos-wannabe nearly breached the Sacred Realm. A fairy and some Ironknuckles have appeared in the Palace. Some Bots, Stalfos, Bubbles, and Red Demons will be making an appearance soon. There's another room yet to be excavated, and I seem to be hearing this vile neigh...

Oh, I found a hidden treasure by stabbing an Ironknuckle statue. It didn't seem to do much for me in Minecraft, but perhaps it has significance otherwise.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-23, 14:14

Loving the new lighting engine. It makes caves extra-scary, though.

I'm a real glutton for punishment with this new project. Brick blocks, bookcases, smoothstone and grey wool are the main constituents. How's that for labour-intensive?

I apologise if lots of new land is appearing in the map to the South - I'm hunting for clay. Feel free to prune if you need to.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-23, 15:33

This may almost be cheating of a sort, but would help constrain us...Brad, can you put in specific seeds for the chunks you prune as of 1.3?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-23, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
This may almost be cheating of a sort, but would help constrain us...Brad, can you put in specific seeds for the chunks you prune as of 1.3?
I not sure this would be a good idea.

When the game creates a new world, it generates a random seed (or as of beta 1.3 allows you to enter one) and saves that seed value to a file. The landscape engine uses that same seed to procedurally generate all chunks in that world for all time; the seed never changes. That's how I'm able to delete chunks and allow them to be regenerated in their original state.

Even with beta 1.3, you can only enter a seed at the time of initial world generation. After that point, you cannot edit the seed through any supported means. While technically you one could crack open the dat file in a hex editor (after deflating it), find the right offset, and tweak the bytes, but that's no different today than with any previous release.

If I were to hack in a change to the seed for the world at any point, all future generated chunks would use that new seed. This would wreak havoc on the edges of the landscape because changing the seed in even the slightest way will ripple into massive changes in the algorithm's result. Concretely, what would happen is you'd walk along the world (or underground in caves), and you'd hit a cliff or wall as you approached the old-world/new world chunk boundary. This cliff or wall would affect the entire map perimeter as well as any areas where chunks might be deleted from within the map.

So, we'd all have to accept that the world could have these crazy cliffs and walls around it. Waterways, mountains, plains, deserts, caves — all would sharply end immediately at the edge with a completely new landscape generated on the other side.

What's the benefit? To see something different out there? Bear in mind that we're already pretty constrained on size and probably shouldn't expect to explore too much farther outward. If we start to feel like we've tapped this world of its usefulness, we could always just archive it off and start anew.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-23, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I apologise if lots of new land is appearing in the map to the South - I'm hunting for clay. Feel free to prune if you need to.
PLEASE try to restrain yourself. Because the world save format has changed, I may no longer be able to prune chunks like I used to. I need to do some investigation on this soon, but consider that for now we do still have that hard limit, and once it's reached, I may have to delete the world and start over.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-23, 16:24

Oh, really. Wow.

I think I might have to cancel my current project then. Clay is sufficently rare that exploration is the only way to get a reasonable amount.

I'll confess to being a little irritated that all of my stuff is very close to the spawn, but I explore just a little south and get shut down...whereas other players have struck WAY North, East and West, ignoring perfectly good building land. Not cool.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-23, 16:32

To be honest, I went way out north before I knew there was a hard limit (it might have been before the world went onto the RAM disk causing the limit, in fact). If I'd known about it beforehand, I would have stayed closer to 'home', so to speak.

For the record, Brad, if it turns out chunks can still be deleted and we need to prune spots to keep the world running, you may feel free to wipe Hollow Mountain off the map. It was a fun project, but ultimately it's a bit too far out there to be practical.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-23, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I not sure this would be a good idea.

When the game creates a new world, it generates a random seed (or as of beta 1.3 allows you to enter one) and saves that seed value to a file. The landscape engine uses that same seed to procedurally generate all chunks in that world for all time; the seed never changes. That's how I'm able to delete chunks and allow them to be regenerated in their original state.

Even with beta 1.3, you can only enter a seed at the time of initial world generation. After that point, you cannot edit the seed through any supported means. While technically you one could crack open the dat file in a hex editor (after deflating it), find the right offset, and tweak the bytes, but that's no different today than with any previous release.

If I were to hack in a change to the seed for the world at any point, all future generated chunks would use that new seed. This would wreak havoc on the edges of the landscape because changing the seed in even the slightest way will ripple into massive changes in the algorithm's result. Concretely, what would happen is you'd walk along the world (or underground in caves), and you'd hit a cliff or wall as you approached the old-world/new world chunk boundary. This cliff or wall would affect the entire map perimeter as well as any areas where chunks might be deleted from within the map.

So, we'd all have to accept that the world could have these crazy cliffs and walls around it. Waterways, mountains, plains, deserts, caves — all would sharply end immediately at the edge with a completely new landscape generated on the other side.

What's the benefit? To see something different out there? Bear in mind that we're already pretty constrained on size and probably shouldn't expect to explore too much farther outward. If we start to feel like we've tapped this world of its usefulness, we could always just archive it off and start anew.
Gotcha. Wasn't aware of the cliffs, etc. that would generate from this if it was possible. Nevermind. I was just hoping it could generate a chunk with clay, or a chunk with tundra biome, etc. Obviously, it is not worth the trouble.

arteggio

2011-02-23, 18:05

Quote:
Clay is sufficently rare that exploration is the only way to get a reasonable amount.

If you have the time, explore out west (beyond Flaming Mountain, in that area between my castle, which makes for a lot of area). I've found a fair amount of clay out there, and that's actually where I got the clay I donated to the first deathmatch.

Speaking of, I have about 5.5 stacks of clay that I have no foreseeable use for (I used it as flooring in my castle's kitchen, but never before, and never since). If you travel to my planned village, right next to the west side of the Skyranch Trap, and make your way to the NW corner skyway staircase, you will find the clay in one of the chests there. You're free to have it.

(Or, cough, Brad could give the Community Exchange a stimulus package. )

EDIT: Still failing to log in from the Mac client (even after updating it to fix some Java stuff, as a tweet from Notch informed me to do).

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-02-23 at 18:31.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-23, 18:23

Quote:
I'll confess to being a little irritated that all of my stuff is very close to the spawn, but I explore just a little south and get shut down...whereas other players have struck WAY North, East and West, ignoring perfectly good building land. Not cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
To be honest, I went way out north before I knew there was a hard limit (it might have been before the world went onto the RAM disk causing the limit, in fact). If I'd known about it beforehand, I would have stayed closer to 'home', so to speak.
Same here. I was specifically targeting a tundra/taiga biome when starting out prior to the limit issue, and went to the nearest one from spawn using the maps at the time. As such, even though there looks to be cool areas to the east/northeast I am resisting them because I know it would affect other players ability to branch out.

Still can't get the new launcher to work. The old one works just fine for me.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-23, 19:47

Redownload the launcher. I haven't tried it yet, but notch tweeted something about quietly patching Mac bugs in the launcher that require a redownload.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-23, 19:51

I have the new launcher, but all i get now is connection refused, did the server crash?

edit: nm, now it just says protocol error, iow, the same usual crap

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-23, 19:57

Sorry guys: to be clear, I'm not trying to say that anyone is to blame, just expressing generalized frustration with the situation. Sorry if it came across badly.

Must remind myself: it's only a Beta.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-23, 21:14

I am not really sure what the spawn has to do with anything...

Interesting land isn't increasingly common the further out you are. I actually like being near spawn and have improved the area around spawn because of my desire to have the entire region nice. The rational is clear: i don't like having to walk for 15 minutes to get to my project site. It isn't even all that crowded around spawn compared to say, Bridgeport...

Ah well... If we do at some point decide to restart a world, can we be allowed to download the current map for shits and giggles...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-23, 23:06

Anyone else have some huge issues just a couple minutes ago? Everything just about died on my MBP from something in Minecraft. Crashed the game while playing in browser, then crashed Safari.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-23, 23:58

I think the reasoning is that there are actually some very interesting terrain changes outside of the region surrounding the spawn area, including deserts and tundra – and that's ignoring the lack of certain resource blocks in areas generated before the Beta and subsequent updates (partially alleviated by Brad's past chunk purging). Yes, having areas clear of existing projects and such is a nice bonus, but the big advantage is in having different surroundings than the normal grassy hills around Bridgeport (and not having that gigantic floating island almost constantly in view )

Plus, I've yet to find a naturally hollowed-out mountain anywhere near the spawn, except for the half-assed one out by Chichen Itza (which I might well take over once Hollow Mountain I goes away).

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 01:05

Tons of awkward issues tonight. 1.3_01 was a very buggy fix to bugs.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-24, 01:55

That is an understatement Rowdy. On the bright side, I'm being reminded that it is only beta.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 01:58

True, and I can certainly understand that. I'm just horribly addicted and unable to feed my addiction, LOL!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 02:33

Ever since the server restart, I've been getting "Connection refused" when trying to log in. So close to done on Parapa and I can't even work on it. >_<

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-24, 04:46

Good thing I went to bed IRL. Shame I can't play now that I'm up though. Connection still refused.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-24, 07:09

For giggles I decided to sniff my traffic to see how open the username and passwords were for this game, I hope you don't use the same username and password for Minecraft anywhere else.

Code:
Line-based text data: application/x-www-form-urlencoded username=turtle2472&password=xxxxxxxx
No the x's aren't my password but our credentials are sent in the clear. If I hadn't changed it you'd see the real thing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-24, 11:38

Server's been down all night?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 13:03

Yes, it has. Minecraft.net went down for maintenance at some point last night, too.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-24, 14:33

And I just finished all my work for the week. Why does it seem like every time I finish some major assignment, the server is down!? Are the Minecraft gods taunting me? Should I construct a giant golden skull with a lava mouth and diamond eyes to gain their favor?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 15:00

Yes. Yes, you should. Also, at least SSP is running and the new launcher is now working.