AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I guess Dropbox has matured now

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I guess Dropbox has matured now
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-14, 21:54

I was going to revive the old thread where we talked about the free storage and perks of doing fun things to get more storage and such. Now it seems we are all going to be really pushed to pay for service from them.
Is there a limit to the number of devices I can link to my account?
Seems we are going to be limited to three devices. THREE.
Quote:
Basic users have a three device limit as of March 2019.
Sitting at my desk right now I have 5 connected devices.
Quote:
If you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices will remain linked, but you can’t link additional devices.
I would have to assume that if I replace my wife's aging iPad mini in the not too distant future that I'll end up not being able to link it. Generally speaking this isn't an issue though we use it for 1Password Vault sharing.

Time for me to figure out a way to leave Dropbox, or at least remove my dependency on them. I'm not willing to pay for it when I have plenty of other options that don't have an extra cost or that I'm already paying for, like 2TB of iCloud storage.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-03-15, 08:45

I moved off of Dropbox a few years ago.

All of my personal stuff is on iCloud and all of my business related stuff lives on Google Drive.

Dropbox just pushed things a bit too far with limitations and the other services became just as integrated as Dropbox once felt.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-15, 08:59

You know, one of the reasons I stuck with Dropbox is that is wasn't one of the big tech giants. It wasn't Google where I'm a product. Apple seems the least evil of them all, but putting all my data in their hands just seems daft too.

I never moved from Dropbox also because it works well in general for my needs and isn't Google, MS or Apple. I do hate that it is so CPU intensive though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-03-15, 11:20

I just get the feeling that they held on to what they did for a little too long and the other tech companies caught up to and have integrated very well with the respective OSes, and in some cases, even better than Dropbox could ever hope to.

I still think of Jobs' quote about Drobbox that it's a feature and not a company (paraphrasing). It was only a matter of time before the other companies developed similar functionality.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-15, 11:26

You know, that is so true. This morning I started working through the process of moving files off of Dropbox and realize I actually have a bunch of apps that link to Dropbox directly. My milage calculator, scanner app, 1Password, IFTTT, Minecraft (I sync the actual application folder), the number of other images I share now through here instead of uploading to my server.

So many things that I'm going to end up revamping to move away from them that I've accumulated over the years.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-22, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You know, that is so true. This morning I started working through the process of moving files off of Dropbox and realize I actually have a bunch of apps that link to Dropbox directly. My milage calculator, scanner app, 1Password, IFTTT, Minecraft (I sync the actual application folder), the number of other images I share now through here instead of uploading to my server.

So many things that I'm going to end up revamping to move away from them that I've accumulated over the years.
How's the process going? I need to move away from dropbox too. I don't use any other features besides as a folder sync/poor man's backup solution. I hate that it wants permission for basically controlling your computer to do anything. I don't like that they changed the limit on computers linked. It's too damned pushy now.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-08-22, 10:57

I've moved completely off of Dropbox, using iCloud Drive for my personal stuff and Google Drive for my business.

I think both of them work perfectly. I don't share many things form iCloud Drive, but folder sharing should be a nice addition when it's added.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 08:49

I haven't completed the transition from Dropbox. Every time I get close I realize there is another app tied to it and I don't want to take the time to finish that one too.

Mostly now I'm using iCloud (since I got roped into their 2TB plan). I do have OneDrive for some things when I need to go between my work and personal stuff since I use a PC for work. I moved 1Password to the subscription though so it is no longer a concern with Dropbox either. I contacted their sales team and got a pretty sizable credit toward services since I've been using them so long and complained about another subscription service.

The private stuff I've all moved to my NAS though. I'm more and more where I don't trust any storage provider out there. Not that they are evil per se, just that they are susceptible to hacking even if they try hard not to be.