Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Does Mail continue to learn?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does Mail continue to learn?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-10-03, 02:55

I'm using Mail 2.0.3 to collect all my various e-mails. When you first start using it, it's in "learning" mode and you tell it which e-mails are junk or not - and it creates filters based on what it's learned. Now it's in automatic mode.

That worked fine for a while, but now a number of junk e-mails seem to be getting through. (Mostly "surveys" - I'm sure you know the type.) Anyway, I always click the "junk" button, but it never seems to learn.

So, my question is, does mail continue to refine it's filters once it's in automatic mode, or does it just move stuff into the junk folder when you hit "junk" and not do anything else? Do I need to revert to Learning mode for a few weeks to fix this? Or is this spam just too damn clever?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-03, 04:48

In my experience it's worth putting mail completely back into learn mode about once a year.... I don't think it continues to learn. Certainly not in any usefull way I have noted. Over a period of 12 months, more and more of the new Spam will start to leak through regardless of what you do to it.

I actually archive and then re-install and start from scratch at about annual intervals. This is partly because I have thousands and thousands of emails stored and need to rationalise.

I am actually running Mail in learn mode right now, and just delete the emails that are junk (either way). Obviously I flag them as Junk before I delete them to help the learning process. I have adopted this method now as it is just too damn easy to lose the very rare important email that slips through into junk. You know; the one from your auntie Mabel who never emails you and has just won the lottery and wants to send you your cut! I have almost lost a couple of good business opportunites by forgetting to scan my junk folder from time to time..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-10-03, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I have almost lost a couple of good business opportunites by forgetting to scan my junk folder from time to time..
You mean those opportunities working with those people from Nigeria?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-03, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmazer
You mean those opportunities working with those people from Nigeria?
Absolutely. I have about 8 on the go right now.. Only a few more weeks and a few more bit's of information and all the funds will be coming through to my account any day...

Can't quite figure why I had to send them my passport, but then I guess it's a lot of money and they need to know they can trust me....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Is it 1981?

2006-05-02, 21:21

Thought I'd bump this thread up rather than starting my own... The Junk filter didn't seem to be too great at spotting spam lately, so I changed the setting to Training in Preferences.

But since doing that about a week or so ago, it's not once ever detected any junk, I've always had to point it out to it. Even new junk messages (but containing the same content as before) that it picked up before I reverted back to Training are now left unmarked and untouched.

I've tried deleting the pref files as listed above, but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem? Gah.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard