Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

UMass prof busted in prostitution sting; offers greatest explanation ever

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
UMass prof busted in prostitution sting; offers greatest explanation ever
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-14, 12:36

Can't blame a guy for trying, I suppose...

Quote:
A Worcester, Mass., doctor claims he was just "gathering information" when he was arrested and accused of soliciting prostitution from an undercover officer.

Police reports state that Rice pulled his car up beside the undercover officer Saturday and offered to pay $40 to the woman in exchange for sex.
I give the good doctor props in the "if you're gonna be a bullshitter, then go big" department. Seems, on the surface, like it might fly. Hey, he gave it an honest shot...

An update from the Boston Globe that brings it all down around him.

Quote:
...the school was not aware that the study -- "Immunology of Infection with Neisseria Gonorrheal" -- involved a trip to the corner of Main and Grand streets Saturday afternoon, where Dr. Peter A. Rice was arrested after allegedly offering to pay an undercover female officer $40 for sex.

"I don't think that his arrest had any connection to his work with the university," UMass spokesman Mark Shelton said this afternoon.
He's freelancing, Mr. Shelton.

The doc maintains he was "gathering information" (of the best kind) and is "not guilty".

I hold out the possibility that he might've just been fishing for info or interview subjects, but aren't there ways to go about that kind of thing in a way that doesn't get you arrested?

Very strange. Regardless of your thoughts on prostitution and so forth, why would someone like this risk his reputation and work (and possible safety and health) in such a way? His curiosity might've just gotten the better of him.
¡Damned!

2007-11-14, 12:46

Well, if he was buying the $40 variety he was almost certain to encounter his 'research material.'
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-14, 12:54

That's kinda what I was thinking. Almost as though he was really making an effort to get "up close and personal" to his particular subject of study.

$40 probably isn't getting you top-shelf leg...

Who knows...maybe he's being truthful, and he was just buying some time and was looking to interview her or present her with a questionnaire (that's what I call my penis too). But the article says the deal was for sex, so I don't know. Just seems idiotic on his part, knowing what he obviously knows...
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-11-14, 13:50

Hey, I've seen COPS. $40 is expensive!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-11-14, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Well, if he was buying the $40 variety he was almost certain to encounter his 'research material.'
Yeah, really!

If he really wanted research info, he would have asked her for research, not offered to pay for sex. Sheesh.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-11-14, 14:58

At least he wasn't doing it here, about an hour south of Worcester. He would've been walking home then. (They take cars from people who drive to pay for sex.)
¡Damned!

2007-11-14, 15:19

Seriously? That doesn't seem fair. Where am I supposed to put the bodies?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-14, 16:46

Between you and the mattress.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-11-14, 16:50

Perhaps he was actually attempting to contract said "Neisseria Gonorrheal," in order to give himself some real incentive to cure that sucker?

If you're reading this, Dr. Peter A. Rice, that's the way to go: martyr for the cause, and whatnot.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."