AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 10 of 104 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-04-01, 21:20

Well, in the movie, Scarlett plays a sweet honest person, and her sister (Natalie) plays a scheming shrew, so you won't be changing your opinion, I'm afraid.

I do think the movie is worth seeing. That period of history is just so... amazing. Scary, and fatal, to be in any way involved with the royal court though. Yikes!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-04-21, 20:58

Okay, sorry, this isn't a movie-theater type movie. It was a Masterpiece Theater presentation last night on PBS.

Did anyone see this (true) story about Rudyard Kipling's son, Jack? It was called "My Boy Jack".

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...ack/index.html

I was just wondering if anyone saw it, and if so, how you felt about Kipling's relentless effort to get his son accepted, not just as a soldier, but into active combat?

This presentation will repeat on some PBS stations at midnight next Saturday night, in case you missed it and want to see it.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-04-21, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Saw The Other Boleyn Girl this weekend, starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johannsen.
My wife normally loves stuff with castles and stuff, but we both wrote the movie off after seeing the trailer: not one sword! What the heck is the point of a movie set in that period if it isn't about kicking ass with swords?!! My wife agrees, btw - she's a big fan of Xena

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-05, 21:48

Geez. Saw In Bruges this weekend. I'd say there was... um... a fair bit of violence.

Anyone else see it?

Or how about The Visitor ? Saw that one too.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-05-05, 22:03

I wanna see Gitmo.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-05-05, 22:34

Gone Baby Gone is one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-05-05, 23:26

I liked In Bruges. Violent, sure, but also pretty funny and worthwhile. Not perfect, not a masterpiece, but entertaining, for sure.
ctt1wbw

2008-05-06, 03:44

I'm looking forward to The Happening. That guy is one hell of a director.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-06, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I liked In Bruges. Violent, sure, but also pretty funny and worthwhile. Not perfect, not a masterpiece, but entertaining, for sure.
I'll have to rent the DVD when that comes out, partly because I missed the first part of the movie, and secondly because I want to see it again.

Why? Because there was such an odd combination of humor and... uh... slaughter in this film. I want to see it again to mull over what thoughts about life the screenwriter (or author?) was trying to get across.

Definitely an interesting and unusual film.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-12, 08:46

New "X Files" trailer.

Stock, clichéd trailer, IMO. I am so sick of these. How many trailers for action/thriller type movies follow this template? The opening ominous scenes with the "shocker" scene (or three), punctuated by a single drum hit ("booommmmm!")/fade to black. Then move to a little bit of talk/exposition. And then, about 10-15 quick-cut "action" shots and that ultra-clichéd bombastic operatic chorus horseshit, all ending with a "cliffhanger", explosion or some weird, quirky bit of dialogue.

Go right now to Apple.com's trailer QuickTime trailer section and pick a movie of this genre - action/adventure/thriller/horror/crime - and see for yourself. It's ridiculous! I hate seeing those stock, cookie-cutter trailers over and over again! And you know it's become an overused cliché when every lame-o fanboy-made "Dark Knight" trailer on YouTube follows the exact formula...

Scully's still a total monkey vixen, so I really don't care. I'll be there opening day, of course. No weak-ass, lazy and unimaginative trailer is gonna change that...

murbot
Hoonigan

2008-05-12, 09:20

That trailer is surprisingly bad. It doesn't seem too different from most of the commercials you used to see for the friggin' TV show when it was on.

But yeah, Scully.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-12, 10:32

Yeah, that's what struck me at first. The trailer seemed like a fanmade YouTube hack job, based on five-plus years of trailer clichés. I had to watch it twice (and read all around the site where I found it) to make sure it wasn't an unofficial/homemade job.

It's pretty bad when that's the first thing that pops in your mind..."gee, this kinda sucks; what puddinghead cobbled this together in Windows EZ Vid Kreator? Huh? Oh crap, it's 'official'? Created by alleged professionals?! Uh-oh...my apologies".

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-05-12, 12:35

Pictures of Scully er I mean Gillian Anderson in Maxim she looks like she's had some kind of face work, But it might just be make-up
and the fact that her hair is really long.

As for the trailer, I think it's owes to Chris Carter's pathological paranoia pertaining to leaks about the plot, more than anything else.
It could use some Solisbury Hill though.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-12, 13:17

"The feel-good conspiracy movie of the summer! One boy, one girl...and a mystery that will warm your heart."

As for the * possibly NSFW, depending... * Maxim/Gillian Anderson thing, perhaps. Something seems a bit different. But as you said, the makeup/lighting and unusually long hair (compared to her Scully days) might be factoring in somehow.

She's still a 105% sexpot and, hands-down, my all-time favorite "celebrity babe" (Mariska, Sheryl and others don't even come close).

It's always been about The Gillian with me...

Foj
Veteran Member

2008-05-12, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's always been about The Gillian with me...
Spoiler (click to toggle):
SKMDC

2008-05-13, 13:18

Angelina gets to me anyway, but when she's got a gun.......whoooo mama.

http://www.imdb.com/video/trailer/vi4289790233/

here's the link to Apple's HD trailer, I should point out she's not the star of this, James McAvoy is, so although her presence is mighty in the trailer, who knows about the film.

It was shot here last year around the same time Batman was filming.

Last edited by SKMDC : 2008-05-13 at 13:25. Reason: new linkage
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-05-14, 01:20

Forgetting Sarah Marshall has to be one of the funniest new movies I've seen in a LONG time, perhaps the best yet for the superbad/40 year old virgin crew. Maybe I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was or it actually is a very well-done comedy but either way it was incredibly entertaining. Every character added a little something to the film, and I even laughed several times with the douchebag british pop star whom sarah cheats on her boyfriend with. Plus Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis are amazingly attractive, so that's a big plus. Also another plus (mostly for guys) is that despite the fact that this is a comedy based on relationships/love/etc, it stays far enough away from chick-flick-ishness or at least disguises it very well like wedding crashers.

Anyway, a very funny movie that I would definitely recommend!

Another great little aspect of the movie is a certain cameo at the end...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Jason Bateman! I miss arrested development...
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-10-20, 18:34

I want to see Wall-E.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-10-20, 18:39

Has anyone seen The Duchess? Anyone *planning* to see it? I read a review that only gave it 3.5 stars out of 5.

I plan to see it because I love period films in general, especially those set in England. I like to see the costumes (I think they are pretty spectacular in this one, esp. the hats. ) and see how people lived their lives in the past.

I'm pretty sure this film is from the book Georgianna, which I read a few years ago. She is a Spencer, actually the great, great, great, great aunt of Princess Diana.

I don't remember the book all that well. I seem to recall that she keeps getting into massive debt from gambling. I loathe the idea of that, and have no sympathy for people who bring such problems into their lives for no reason. But Keira Knightley is lovely and I like watching her in films.

I think I also remember being surprised at all the illicit sex engaged in, especially in a time without much/any decent protection. Or did I read somewhere that they used sheep's intestines as condoms? Anyone know if they used any kind of protection in the 1700s and 1800s?

Last edited by Windswept : 2008-10-20 at 19:53.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-10-20, 18:45

I loved Wall-E. It wasn't quite as rich as other Pixar movies, but it was gorgeous and despite the fact that the two main characters don't actually talk, I got sucked right in to their relationship.
¡Damned!

2008-10-20, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Has anyone seen The Duchess? Anyone *planning* to see it? I read a review that only gave it 3.5 stars out of 5.

I plan to see it because I love period films in general, especially those set in England. I like to see the costumes (I think they are pretty spectacular in this one, esp. the hats. ) and see how people lived their lives in the past.

I'm pretty sure this film is from the book Georgianna, which I read a few years ago. She is a Spencer, actually the great, great, great, great aunt of Princess Diana.

I don't remember the book all that well. I seem to recall that she keeps getting into massive debt from gambling. I loathe the idea of that, and have no sympathy for people who bring such problems into their lives for no reason. But Keira Knightley is lovely and I like watching her in films.

I think I also remember being surprised at all the illicit sex engaged in, especially in a time without much/any decent protection. Or did I read somewhere that they used sheep's intestines as condoms? Anyone know if they used any kind of protection in the 1700s and 1800s?
It's on my short list of things to see, as I love period pieces as well.

wrt contraception, I believe crossing oneself and the man being on the bottom (gravity FTW!) was the belief of the day (not kidding). The intestine condom is something of a phallacy (HAHA...see what I did there?.....no? *sigh*)...because even though it actually existed and worked, the process of wrapping oneself took three times as long as biting the corner of our modern square rubber pack. And...you know...*some* men lose their...erm...gusto when distracted for more than a few seconds.

So, well, gonorrhea FTL.

It's no coincidence that the church targeted fucking as it's first sin. Easy target, lazy as they are.

[edit]: In doing a little post-Googling, I found this really neat condom page. Is it wrong of me to want to put together a Slim-Jim box for my occasional soirée?

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2008-10-20 at 20:11.
SKMDC

2008-10-20, 22:36

We saw it, and it's my second favorite period of English history. The movie looks incredible and unlike The Golden Age - Elizabeth II, it has more going for it than looks, good performances, not only Knightley (who before she's even 30 is becoming the grand dame of period pieces) Charlotte Rampling and her cheekbones are great as Lady Spencer, and Ralph Fiennes excels, but he plays a prick so you know, he's good at that.

She's pretty screwed up, when The Duke (Fiennes) bags her best friend she's mad at him not for screwing around but for taking away her friend.

The early movie crop is pretty good this year so I'm kind of Jazzed about what lies ahead. The Duchess & Appaloosa are the 2 best that I've seen so far. I missed W last week, the theater was oppressively hot for some reason so we snuck out and saw Body of Lies, which my wife thought too long but I quite liked. It's filmed "Bourne Style" and Crowe is pretty good, but it's not Oscar™ calibre or anything. Although if you like tall dark & handsome, I gotta tell ya' the guy who plays the head of the Jordanian secret police is a pretty suave guy, His name is Mark Strong, he was in Syrianna, he's in RocknRolla, and about five movies in the next year, including the bad guy in the Sherlock Holmes movie Guy Ritchie is making with Robert Downey Jr. so look for him to be a big deal.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-20, 22:44

I was hoping someone here had seen "Appaloosa "! As much as I enjoy westerns, it's weird that I've not gotten around to seeing this. I'm going to try like crazy to catch it this coming weekend. It looks great, and I like both of those actors a lot.
SKMDC

2008-10-20, 23:39

Quote:
I was hoping someone here had seen "Appaloosa "! As much as I enjoy westerns, it's weird that I've not gotten around to seeing this. I'm going to try like crazy to catch it this coming weekend. It looks great, and I like both of those actors a lot.
Appaloosa is awesome, it's the best directed western I've seen in a long time. Ed Harris is a great director although he's only done it twice, this and Pollock, both excellent and both incredibly different. There is a scene where he is standing on a railway overpass and he's incredibly pissed off, his pal (Viggo Mortensen) is trying to talk him down and you hear his voice in the right channel and in the left channel, just faintly you hear Harris breathing, kind of like a wild bull getting ready to charge, I don't think it will come through in the dvd mix, so seeing it in the theater is a must.
There are a ton of little tiny things throughout the movie, just little looks, glances, tiny thought out things that just amazed me.
Don't leave during the credits* after the Mudcrutch tune there is another tune that can't be missed.

* even the credits were cool, each character had their signature clothing item on screen and then the actor's name appeared, very classy.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-20, 23:54

Awesome. I'm going...Saturday matinee! I've not been to the movies since I saw "The Dark Knight" way back in July. I'll be sure to stick around during the credits (I usually do anyway because I always like to see all the smaller, obscure jobs listed, as well as soundtrack info and filming locations).

I'm almost always the last person out.

SKMDC

2008-10-21, 00:04

make sure it's a place with good sound.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-10-21, 11:02

Jason Bateman! I miss arrested development...

I plan on seeing The Duchess

And Thursday at midnight, Saw V

and friday my boyfriend wants to go see HSM3(all I can say is WTF!!)
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-10-21, 11:03

Quote:
It was quite good, I am not really a western fan, but it was good
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-21, 11:07

Wait...there's another "Saw" movie? Jeez. I thought...that guy (Tobin Bell's character) was...well...

Why?

I'm waiting for "Hostel 7" myself.

Oh wait...no I'm not!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-10-21, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
We saw it, and it's my second favorite period of English history. The movie looks incredible and unlike The Golden Age - Elizabeth II, it has more going for it than looks, good performances, not only Knightley (who before she's even 30 is becoming the grand dame of period pieces)
Isn't she only 20 or 21? If so, she has a virtual 'eternity' before she hits 30! I mean, "movie-star years" are kind of like "dog-years", ya know?
Quote:
Charlotte Rampling and her cheekbones are great as Lady Spencer, and Ralph Fiennes excels, but he plays a prick so you know, he's good at that.
In the review I read, he received all the praise for his performance, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Quote:
Although if you like tall dark & handsome, I gotta tell ya' the guy who plays the head of the Jordanian secret police is a pretty suave guy, His name is Mark Strong, he was in Syrianna, he's in RocknRolla, and about five movies in the next year, including the bad guy in the Sherlock Holmes movie Guy Ritchie is making with Robert Downey Jr. so look for him to be a big deal.
Mark Strong, eh? I'll have to look him up and maybe add his pic to this post if I can find a good one. Ohh, I had no idea a Sherlock Holmes movie was being made! I'm such a massive Holmes fan. But, it's hard to replace Jeremy Brett with anyone. He was just so ideal in the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
Appaloosa is awesome, it's the best directed western I've seen in a long time. Ed Harris is a great director although he's only done it twice, this and Pollock, both excellent and both incredibly different. There is a scene where he is standing on a railway overpass and he's incredibly pissed off, his pal (Viggo Mortensen) is trying to talk him down and you hear his voice in the right channel and in the left channel, just faintly you hear Harris breathing, kind of like a wild bull getting ready to charge, I don't think it will come through in the dvd mix, so seeing it in the theater is a must.
There are a ton of little tiny things throughout the movie, just little looks, glances, tiny thought out things that just amazed me.
Don't leave during the credits* after the Mudcrutch tune there is another tune that can't be missed.

* even the credits were cool, each character had their signature clothing item on screen and then the actor's name appeared, very classy.
Good commentary. I've liked Viggo Mortensen since back in his GI Jane days when he played the Navy SEALs Command Master Chief. But then, I'm always a sucker for anything to do with Special Forces in particular, and men in uniform in general.

Quote:
I'll be sure to stick around during the credits (I usually do anyway because I always like to see all the smaller, obscure jobs listed, as well as soundtrack info and filming locations).

I'm almost always the last person out.

So am I. I do like to find out the locations whenever possible. Sometimes it's incredibly surprising to find out just where films are made. Whoa!