Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-05, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
...snip...
Ouch. Ouch. Harsh.

Come on, have some feeling, man.

I'm in a support group for Apple fan wannabes, and seeing counselor and psychologist thrice and six a week, and now you spew this... this abodmination on me.

Now I'm going to have to start another support group for Applenovian Wannabe.

Why can't you be nice to us noobs now and then? You after all, were once a noob!

I'm going to see my mother and cry in her bosoms. Bye, guys.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-05, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
http://www.tcp.com/~dschaub/readme.html

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/...c-startup.html

btw... anyone got a link to the wild eep and the monkey startup sounds?
Again, they were not startup sounds.

I have them here on my PowerBook; so, I'll attach them to this post. Just put these in /Library/Sounds and they'll be available as system alert sounds, as they originally were.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Monkey and Wild Eep.zip (5.2 KB, 8 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-05, 10:34

Banana. Get on a ladder, stick your neck straight up, and read the post again.

(oh, and pics of the crying into bosom would be nice, thanks)
Perfecting_Zero

2006-10-05, 10:39

Quote:
.... just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Does anyone understand what i mean? or is it just me? any thoughts/gripes please ?

Thanks for your time and input.
Brad

I did not realize that there might be a certain "status," cachet or coolness-factor associated with applenova forums.

Frankly, I toggle between several mac forums and online communities. And, to be fair -- (and taking nothing away from the irreverent splendor af AN) -- don't you think that many other mac/Apple forums would similarly lionize their contributions and dedication to the larger mac community?

For what it's worth, applenova is my favorite forum when I want to be regaled by the electric mix of personalities and piquant expression of opinion and commentary -- whether, strictly speaking, apple-related or not. I can find more "hard" mac/Apple news at other sites, but, AN is the forum where I enjoy hanging out.

Cheers,

Z

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-05, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecting_Zero View Post
I did not realize that there might be a certain "status," cachet or coolness-factor associated with applenova forums.
You're having a real hard time with sarcasm.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 10:44

Um, Z, I think Brad just shot completely above your head. He was making fun of the OP. Look at the original post and then Brad's post very closely. AN isn't about status. It never has been. Oh, and welcome to the Nova (I don't think I've said hello yet).

[edit]Damn you, Chucker!

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-05, 10:44

Oh my god, stop it. My sides are aching. I'm not even going to post any jabs about ducking, reading posts again, or setting up a PayPal account to accept donations for a clue purchase.

Damn, it's good to start the day with a laugh. Thanks, boys.

Brad owns the newbies even when he isn't trying to. He's THAT good, ladies and gentleman.

Oh, required reading for any AN newbies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-05, 10:46

I've been thinking about appending an IQ or related aptitude test to the application for the AppleNova Cool Member Club™. I should get on that pretty soon. Yeah.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-05, 10:48

This is almost as bad as "dude, I can't belive you opened up that hard drive and put windex on it".

I hereby declare this the Thread Of The Day.
Perfecting_Zero

2006-10-05, 10:49

OK, points taken. Thanks.

And thanks for the welcome.

Z
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
This is almost as bad as "dude, I can't belive you opened up that hard drive and put windex on it".
I don't know... that's pretty generous
Quote:
I hereby declare this the Thread Of The Day.
That, however, is more than warranted.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-05, 10:53

Oh, don't take it personally, zero. A donut cushion and a few aspirin will have you back to normal in a couple of days.

We're kind of like beer here. The first couple you ever have don't go down that smooth, but you see everyone else just loving the shit, so you suck it up and down a few later in the week. Before you know it, you can't stop.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 11:15

Opening a hard drive and putting Windex on it would in fact be a really bad idea. Just opening the hard drive to begin with will probably render it useless because of various impurities in the air. Hard drives are very delicate instruments, manufactured in a tightly controlled environment. Exposing the platters to un-pure air is irresponsible.

Oh, and lighting them on fire is also very bad.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Opening a hard drive and putting Windex on it would in fact be a really bad idea. Just opening the hard drive to begin with will probably render it useless because of various impurities in the air. Hard drives are very delicate instruments, manufactured in a tightly controlled environment. Exposing the platters to un-pure air is irresponsible.

Oh, and lighting them on fire is also very bad.
I was SO taking that seriously until the last line.
Perfecting_Zero

2006-10-05, 11:29

Thanks, Murbot. No, I don't take anything personally.

Looking back over the thread, I see that I did wander into quite a gaffe with my not-completely-informed comments.

All is well.

Cheers,

Z

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-10-05, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
(...)

Switchers are great for the Apple company and all of us because we benefit from increased sales, however if you have not been given crap about using a one button mouse on the comp, and cannot identify with the quack sound when the old computers booted then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true Apple fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Does anyone understand what i mean? or is it just me? any thoughts/gripes please ?

Nick
While I understand you and sometimes feel your pain. I've gotta say that experience with old Macs isn't a hip thing to me. Actually I would take Windows 95/2000 over classic Mac OS any day. And I would take Amiga Workbench 1,3/2,0/3,x over Win 3,1/95 any day too. OS X is glorious, but I stand firmly by my earlier choices in platform.

I may never have been the wicked programmer, but I do know when I'm enjoying my computer and when it's giving me a headache.

Hmmm. I might get some flak for this statement.

Quote:
There is something I need to get off of my chest before I get to work for the day.

I love AppleNova' rise to stardo, i have been using AppleNova forums since the day it was started, so from a very young age. However there is one thing that has bothered me, and i see this a lot on the Internet. All these people who have caught onto the cool status of AppleNova, have their bookmarks to VTP and the clinic and what not, and suddenly they think they are applenova gods and are lecturing about how they love applenova.

Switchers are great for the AppleNova community and all of us because we benefit from increased discussions, however if you have not been given crap about the split from AI, and cannot identify with the nailgun guy when Windswept bans a spammer then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true AppleNova fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Brad
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-05, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
There is something I need to get off of my chest before I start studying for exams.

I love Apple' rise to stardo, i have been using Apple comps since early to mid 90's, so from a very young age. However there is one thing that has bothered me, and i see this a lot at Univeristy. All these people who have caught onto the cool status of Apple, have their iPods and macbooks and what not, and suddenly they think they are apple gods and are lecturing about how they love apple.

Switchers are great for the Apple company and all of us because we benefit from increased sales, however if you have not been given crap about using a one button mouse on the comp, and cannot identify with the quack sound when the old computers booted then in my books (and opinion) you are not a true Apple fan, just someone who jumps on something that is cool ie not a trend setter, just a trend follower.

Nick
No wonder so many people think that Apple Fanboys are complete dicks.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-05, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
...rise to stardo,

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-05, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

(psssst.... you read the original post, right?)
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-05, 12:01

Quote:
(psssst.... you read the original post, right?)
Yes.
arnoct

2006-10-05, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Of course, then they tell me they use Firefox over Safari, and I give them one of these:
When safari has an adblock that's as easy to use as Firefox's (read: very simple, no frills,) then I'll switch.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-10-05, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoct View Post
When safari has an adblock that's as easy to use as Firefox's (read: very simple, no frills,) then I'll switch.
Okay, thats legit, but most Firefox users I know don't use any extensions.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 18:04

I'll settle for a dumbblock. First browser that gives me that, has me.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-05, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I'll settle for a dumbblock. First browser that gives me that, has me.
But then you'd never get to read your own posts any more.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
But then you'd never get to read my posts any more.
T, FTFY.
chucker

2006-10-05, 18:16

Quote:
T, FTFY.
Who didn't see that one coming.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 18:19

Thanks for the setup, I couldn't have done it without your assistance.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-10-05, 18:21

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-05, 18:23

Brad, you're My Hero™.
chucker

2006-10-05, 18:27

Quote:
Thanks for the setup, I couldn't have done it without your assistance.
Someone had to do you the favor.